The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
esnb74

is a '79 cab interchangeable to a '86 pickup?

Hello all. I'm fairly new to this forum. Been lurking for some time as I look for a future pickup project.

Question: My nephew rolled my brother's 1986 1/2 ton 2wd last week while messing around with his friends. (Thankfully, the only thing hurt on my nephew was his ego). The '86 didn't fair as well: cab is toast, one bad fender, a fixable dent in the box.

My brother has a '79 sitting around with a decent cab. Will the '79 cab bolt onto the '86 frame? What about fenders? My bother likes the look of the '86 better - will the front clip on the '86 bolt up to the '79 cab?

I know these pick-ups are pretty similar, but we don't know how interchangeable they are? But, we were thinking this "may" be an inexpensive way to go.

Thanks for any help/advise!

Last edited by esnb74; 12-06-2012 at 05:23 PM.
esnb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: is a '79 cab interchangeable to a '86 pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnb74 View Post
Will the '79 cab bolt onto the '86 frame?
Yes, it will. I believe you need to use cab mounts that match the year range of the frame though. So re-use the existing 86 mounting bushings or get some new ones listed for 81-87 if they're bad.

Quote:
What about fenders? My bother likes the look of the '86 better - will the front clip on the '86 bolt up to the '79 cab?
Yes, the front clip will fit too. Here's a thread that's detailing the reverse (a 73-80 clip on a 81-up cab/truck) --> http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=439244

You'll be dealing with the same issues. Namely, swapping the 86 wiper linkage (with longer shafts) over to the 79 cab. And cutting the openings in the cowl area of the 79 cab for the 86 hood hinges.

Quote:
I know these pick-ups are pretty similar, but we don't know how interchangeable they are? But, we were thinking this "may" be an inexpensive way to go.
It should be a fairly straight forward swap. The opening in the firewall is a different shape/size on heat-only vs. AC trucks though. So you might have some changes to make there if you're going from one style to the other.

If you're planning on swapping the interior (and steering column) over from the 86, you might run into a minor issue with the location of the headlight switch. I think they moved the location a little in 84 when they moved the wiper switch to the column. So you will have to re-locate the hole in the metal part of the 79 dash so the headlight switch lines up with the opening in the 86 dash bezel.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote