The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
Devil'S Ride

Hub Question

Hey all....quick one for you....I blew out my passenger side hub, no big deal. I bought a new set of replacements, (warn gold) an when I pulled the body of the old hub out, no problems in the avel tube or on the shaft. I slide the new body in, but it appears to be a couple thousandths too long....I cant get the outer large snap ring to seat all the way and if I try to put the cap on, it pushes the hub into lock, (with the switch on free) and I cannot figure out what is holding everything up.

Anyone have any ideas?? TIA

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
1969 GMC

could you pull the axleshaft out a little more? my axle shafts always want to retreat back into the tube when i have the hubs off, and you gotta grab it with something and pull it all the way out. good luck solving this
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
ljbear

You might need an new axle hub. I had the inner bearing race spin in the hub, that caused the entire hub to shift in. I didn't notice it until I packed the bearing and tightened everything up. I couldn't get my caliper back over the rotor. Check your end play on the wheel bearings, if they're loose it might be the same problem.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Devil'S Ride

yeah, pulled the axel shaft out, had no problem getting that snap ring on....it was getting the outter, large ring to snap into the groove....an once I got it on, I couldnt get the cap on with out it becoming engaged. I heard somewhere that you may have to take the spindle nut of, readjust the washer and torque it all down again.....or the possibility of there being another snap ring, but I dont remember seeing one...guess i'll tear into it again tomorra, mebbe I can get it working, I dont have the 50$ to have it done, and I need the 4x4 to get out to the ranch this weekend....

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote