The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
huntsonora

What To Do?

I am a brand new member here so please excuse my ignorance with some of these questions. I have actually been looking for a forum like this for some time now.

Here is the dilemma. I have an 87 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban that has the 700R4 tranny, 350 TBI engine and stock everything except for a 2 1/2 lift kit. It was an everyday driver until about 3 years ago. I am debating if I should sell it or fix it up. If I fix it up it will be primarily a hunting truck with minimal miles put on it. I was thinking about ordering a new crate engine for just under $2000 and dont know what to do about the tranny. Should I keep the 700R4 or move to a TH400? If I keep the truck I will also put a 6" lift with 35's on it, should I upgrade the stock axles or would I have to scrap them as well? I do have a 79 Wagoneer with Dana 44's front and rear, would those work? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Drummond
huntsonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
drink2mny

Hey 1st off welcome to the board..You came to the right place for answers and help..

Now on to some of my .02 cents for answers.
If you do keep it and get a new crate motor for it, I would rebuild the 700r4. They can be built pretty strong and hold up to 5-600 horse and torque..
as for axles I would definately upgrade them to 3/4 or 1 ton..
which you could easliy get off a donor chevy for good prices or just by looking around you newspaper and classifieds. Heck even on here.
the 10bolt under the back of that would probably not last to long on some hunting trails with big tires..

depending how hard you want to wheel this on hunting trails you might want to get a different transfercase..
You should have a NP208 under there now which are pretty good if not hole shot to many times..but a NP205 would be the best option..

keep asking away..
I know others have different opinions.
But most will agree..

and again
welcome