The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Best place for the fuse box?????????

I will be installing my wiring kit from American Auto Wire as soon as we move past these 100+ days. I choose A.A.W. because it comes with extra long wires that will allow me to position my fuse box somewhere other than under the dash. I hate to crawl under the dash (it's always in the dark) to check the fuses and thought behind the seat would be better. Plenty of room back there as I have relocated the gas tank.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
cajundragger

Re: Best place for the fuse box?????????

mine is going under the seat.

Mike from AAW is cool as hell. He and my dad go way back.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
michael bustamante

if you dont mind me askin? what did the kit run you? Mine will have to be replaced also
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
prostreeter58

I used AAW in the latest truck and painless in the other. Both kits are good and price is compairable. I think the AAW kit had more "extras" than the pinless. It came with a headlight switch, ignition switch, new sockets for headlights and tailights, and many other items. You can find the "tailored made" kit from AAW for just over $400..............if you know a friend in the business you can usually get it for about $350.............someone on e-bay always has the AAW kit listed for $436..............as far as mounting I did put both of mine under the dash.........the thought is, if everything is new and done correctly, you shouldn't have to get into it very often.............
prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreeter58 View Post
I used AAW in the latest truck and painless in the other. Both kits are good and price is compairable. I think the AAW kit had more "extras" than the pinless. It came with a headlight switch, ignition switch, new sockets for headlights and tailights, and many other items. You can find the "tailored made" kit from AAW for just over $400..............if you know a friend in the business you can usually get it for about $350.............someone on e-bay always has the AAW kit listed for $436..............as far as mounting I did put both of mine under the dash.........the thought is, if everything is new and done correctly, you shouldn't have to get into it very often.............
im gonna have to give the AAW some good concideration and research then. thank you for the info
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
cajundragger

I would deff go with AAW. Mike is a super stand up guy and makes a solid product.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
sailed2japan
Jonny

I've heard of people getting painless kits and installing them according to directions then having things not work right. I couldn't tell you if it's the installers or the product, but it doesn't sound too painless to me.

As for the fuse box, I like the behind the seat idea, there's already enough crap to cram under the dash.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR

Last edited by sailed2japan; 08-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote