The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

muffler question

i want a muffler that is a little louder than what i have now(2 chamber flowmaster), but not something that sounds like glasspacks. any suggestions? has anyone tried a single chamber flowmaster?

SEE PROJECT PICTURES AT CARDOMAIN.COM. SEARCH MEMBER ID TEAMTHC
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
evan

Re: muffler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM THC
i want a muffler that is a little louder than what i have now(2 chamber flowmaster), but not something that sounds like glasspacks. any suggestions? has anyone tried a single chamber flowmaster?
If I had it to do over, I would have chosen Flowmaster super-40's. Check them out here : http://classictrucks.com/tech/0507cl_muff/ and watch the video at the bottom of the page.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
olblue81

I recorded the sound of my truck with both Super Turbos and then with Magnaflows after I changed to them, but I must have deleted the files. I didn't notice any change in the cab, but standing beside the truck the Magnaflows sound better at idle. I've never had Flowmasters, but I sure like the Magnaflows and they were 2/3 the price. They seem to let the right noise through but they don't have that glasspack rap to them.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

Cool, Thanks For Your Unput

SEE PROJECT PICTURES AT CARDOMAIN.COM. SEARCH MEMBER ID TEAMTHC
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I am wanting to get rid of my dual Flows too...but I want The Hooker Aero Chambers again. I hate the resonance that Flows have...I know...Im gettin old! haha

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
woody96

Guys, I went with some IMCO chambered mufflers...about HALF the price of the Flowmasters, and I love 'em! They sounded a bit better to me than the 2 chamber 40's I had on my truck...I have a 2.25 in exhaust, headers, out the back under the bumper.
The IMCO's sound similar, but a bit more meaty and better to my ear!
Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
84slopwaggin

Well when I had my Hooker Areo chambers they were dumped at the axles and they did have that bassy interior resonance like flowmaster 40's but without the flowmaster rattle. These were installed on a 84 lwb silverado. I now have flowmaster40's on my 84 swb gmc and I plan to go back to hookers on my next project lwb. Hookers are cheaper and more mellow/throaty sounding. I'm not for sure but I'd bet hookers and flowmaster super 40's sound somewhat alike.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

I've had experience with several different types of mufflers to date.

First was a set of Flo Pro mufflers that came on my 74 3/4 ton. Had headers, with 2.5" dual pipes from front to back.

The thing was DANG loud. Very little resonance inside while cruising, but just cruising normally down a urban street at night set off car alarms, lol

Next I put the flo-pros onto my 80 GMC cause I thought they sounded so awesome, and put a set of Cherry bomb Super Turbo mufflers on. I knew they'd rust out fairly quick, but I wasn't too concerned. This setup consisted of a set of stock manifolds, with true 2.25" duals. This setup actually sounded quite good. The truck had a great roar when you got on it, but when you were just cruising, the truck had very little resonance inside. You could definitely hear yourself, but you didn't set off car alarms, or give yourself a headache.

Third, is the exhaust I have on my 89. I'm not sure what type of mufflers it has, but they are fairly quiet. When you get on it, it has a bit of a brrrraaap to it, but its fairly minimal. My father's stock 05 Chevy 6.0 is louder.

Fourth is the exhaust I've got on my 77. I'm not too sure exactly what it has, but they look similar to the Hushpowers mentioned in that thread, except they don't have any of that nasty crackling / popping like in the video there. They have a very aggressive sounding idle, and you can most definitely hear it when you accelerate. I haven't driven the truck on the road yet, due to a bad engine knock, but I think they will probally drone a fair bit inside the cab.

Overall -- I have been most happy with the Super Turbo mufflers, but their quality isn't rated to be that great. I think the Flo Pros might be reasonable if a guy put a set of manifolds on the 80 instead of the headers.

I do want to buy and install a set of Hooker Aerochambers in place of the Flo Pros someday. I've heard a couple trucks with them installed, and I definitely like the way they sound
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Overcamber
Overcamber

i put on super 40's and went and bought the regular 40's a week later..super 40's were to quiet out the back i found..was running them through hooker super competition headers as well..just my 2 cents..i found this website a while back..check it out
www.exhaustsoundclips.com
its got quite a bit on it
Overcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
SanitysBane

Anyone have any experience with the Flowmaster 70 series?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote