The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Army_Dude

Charging system got me confused...

My voltmeter on my dash almost always read about 14 to 15. Well yesterday on the way to work it barely read 12. I came home for lunch and pulled the alternator and took it to AutoZone and had them check it. They said it was good. Tonight while driving it was flirting with the 13 but not past it. The reason this is an issue is because twice it has left me stuck. I try to crank it and all I get is a click. Thats when I started to notice the drop on the gauge. I checked and cleaned all my connections. Any Ideas or suggestions? It seems to be a intermittent problem.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
jermasaurus

Re: Charging system got me confused...

Maybe when it was bench tested it could supply the voltage. But with loads like lights, blower motor, wipers, etc... the alternator may not keep up- especially at idle.

If you have a voltmeter, I would try to observe battery voltage at idle with no loads and then with them. Good Luck

-Jeremy
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
smokinn

Mine does the same thing. But with mine all I have to do is rev the engine once up high to get it to jump up. I could replace the Alt but dont have the time and it's never left me anywhere walking.

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Charging system got me confused...

I think the first thing id do is have the battery load tested unless it's new if thats ok then id replace both bettery cables and maybe even the pwr supply wire from the alt.

Alot of times battery cables can look ok but internally there corroded and that can cause high resistance and cranking and charging problems.

Good luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Army_Dude

yeah that wouldn't be a bad idea anyway (cables). It only seems to have a lower charge in the morning. I'll try to check the batt today and post results.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

If the battery has a lower charge in the morning you might have something that is draining your battery during the night such as a dome light or something small. I would go head and replace the cables and be sure to use the battery cable ends that crimp on. They maybe more expensive, but they are much better than bolt on battery cable ends. If you replace the cables and you still have the same problem you might want to go to an alternator or start shop to have it checked out.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote