The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
jimmydunn1987

what would you pay for this 72 gmc jimmy?

I'm looking into buying this 72 jimmy... would you drive this as a daily? What do you guess the gas mileage would be in this beast based on experience? I'm just looking for some advice folks

*350 4 bolt main built motor fresh 350 trans 3/4 running gear new seals on motor trans and transfer case 12/16/5 weld wheels 94 interior rear seat is removable fresh top with new glass ac truck new bumpers and all tail lights and markers in box good floors a little rust on the gutter under the door gun metel grey 12 k invested trades ok these clean jimmys are getting hard to find the top alone was 3 k clean title hummer tires with kevlar sidewalls these tires last over 60k this truck is perfect for summer full removeable top new seatbelts seats 6 front bench and the rear seat is removable
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

jimmydunn1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: what would you pay for this 72 gmc jimmy?

Its a nice looking truck that I would love to have. Depending on how much rust there is, it might be worth a decent amount.

As a daily driver, I hope you have a short commute. I'm betting on 8 mpg.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
jimmydunn1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Its a nice looking truck that I would love to have. Depending on how much rust there is, it might be worth a decent amount.

As a daily driver, I hope you have a short commute. I'm betting on 8 mpg.
Right on, yea the guy has it listed for 7000 and when I asked him what kinda gas mileage he's been getting, he said "15 to 17" lol I find that hard to believe
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydunn1987 View Post
Right on, yea the guy has it listed for 7000 and when I asked him what kinda gas mileage he's been getting, he said "15 to 17" lol I find that hard to believe
Posted via Mobile Device
As rare as those are around here, I'd pay $7k if it had minimal rust. I'd also try to talk him down to $5k first.

A 350/th350 combo with those meats will only get 15 mpg on the back of a wrecker.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Prematuregrey

Good luck getting better than 10mpg with that. Where did he get the idea that those tires would last 60k miles? Those "Kevlars" might be good for 20k on the street. They are soft tread meant for rolling around on rocks at 5 psi. The truck looks nice and all but I'm with the others, start around $5k or lower and stop at $7k. I say that being someone that recently dropped almost $9k on my K20 but my body looks to be in better shape. Blocks holding it back and the oil stains under it make me weary. Plus whats the plastic for under it are they planning on cutting a body up using the truck as a hiding spot?

From my experience on the axle swap, check that it was done right and the bump stops and sway bars are mounted correctly to work. I'm working through those issues with my truck at this moment.

For an example, my 3/4 ton with a BB/TH400 on 1 tons with 3.73's gets less than 8mpg's and its only on 33 x 10.5's so very skinny compared to the meats on that beast.
71 Chevy K20, Clifford, BB and 1 Tons
Prematuregrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
jimmydunn1987

[QUOTE=Prematuregrey;6202027]Good luck getting better than 10mpg with that. Where did he get the idea that those tires would last 60k miles? Those "Kevlars" might be good for 20k on the street. They are soft tread meant for rolling around on rocks at 5 psi. The truck looks nice and all but I'm with the others, start around $5k or lower and stop at $7k. I say that being someone that recently dropped almost $9k on my K20 but my body looks to be in better shape. Blocks holding it back and the oil stains under it make me weary. Plus whats the plastic for under it are they planning on cutting a body up using the truck as a hiding spot?

From my experience on the axle swap, check that it was done right and the bump stops and sway bars are mounted correctly to work. I'm working through those issues with my truck at this moment.

For an example, my 3/4 ton with a BB/TH400 on 1 tons with 3.73's gets less than 8mpg's and its only on 33 x 10.5's so very skinny compared to the meats on that b

Yea I agree with you there. He was wanting to trade for my 2000 Silverado extended cab. Made me weary from the start. I noticed the oil stains, the tarp underneath and why he has it blocked is beyond me. I guess this is California lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
jimmydunn1987

So now he says this..
Rear end has 373 gears with the big tires the ratio is 355 turbo 350 trans and yhe carb is a 600cfm holley it runs perfect..
Said the tarp underneath was the tranny but that is installed now and that explains why it was blocked..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Fenders are cut so Ill assume those are 37s? With 373s and a 3/4 ton axles?
That seems like a power band above cruising speeds. Someone smart will chime in but that is something to consider on your drive/commute.
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Jimmy WELCOME!!!! My big input is to verify everything he said.Read thru some of the posts on the forum about body rust and in the 4X4 section on them.Then when you look it over you will have a better idea.If you know someone who is into these trucks,you might consider taking them with you to play "Devil's Advocate".I agree with the 8 mpg and offer less.The worst a low offer will get you is a no.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
jimmydunn1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Fenders are cut so Ill assume those are 37s? With 373s and a 3/4 ton axles?
That seems like a power band above cruising speeds. Someone smart will chime in but that is something to consider on your drive/commute.
Mike
Yea those are 37s, what do you mean by being a power band? He said the truck would do better with 35s. And says now he's getting 14 mpg so hard to know really what he's actually getting. I'm guessing 8 too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
jimmydunn1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Jimmy WELCOME!!!! My big input is to verify everything he said.Read thru some of the posts on the forum about body rust and in the 4X4 section on them.Then when you look it over you will have a better idea.If you know someone who is into these trucks,you might consider taking them with you to play "Devil's Advocate".I agree with the 8 mpg and offer less.The worst a low offer will get you is a no.
Thank you so much for your advise!
Posted via Mobile Device