The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
JOJABOY

Calling all my old school friends

I drove my truck home from the motor pool this afternoon. The garage was empty since my car was at the office and wife was gone...so I pulled into the garage. Five minutes and a Superman change later and I'm heading back out. Only to find green liquid on the garage floor.

So now I realize I have a tiny radiator leak. Anyone got a good (easy) fix. I know ground pepper is said to work but.... Was looking to see what everyone else has in there knowledge cache.

Thanks
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
JOJABOY

Re: Calling all my old school friends

It must be Karma. Just last night I was just thinking about the cooling system and installing an expansion tank instead of a plain overflow.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
pritch

Are you sure it's not just coming from said 'plain overflow'?
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
JOJABOY

Pretty sure. Other side of Radiator. Just a trickle from about the third tube up about two inches from the side of the core. Was thinking about picking up a bottle of the Stop-Leak stuff at Oreilly's but wanted to ask around for advice first.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Daner

I've heard egg whites work great.

Also heard road apples work in a pinch. Never tried either of them myself.

Edit: Ginger is another one. Forgot to put it in the first reply lol.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton

Last edited by Daner; 04-14-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added one more.
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Pretty sure. Other side of Radiator. Just a trickle from about the third tube up about two inches from the side of the core. Was thinking about picking up a bottle of the Stop-Leak stuff at Oreilly's but wanted to ask around for advice first.
I wouldn't do that. The stop leak crap can plug your heater core, and in general muck up your entire cooling system.

I've nursed radiator leaks for months by keeping it topped off with radiator fluid. Of course, this gets hard to do the warmer the conditions get, but it doesn't sound too bad. You can probably top it off, keep a jug of 50/50 in your truck, and then get it patched professionally
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
I've heard egg whites work great.

Also heard road apples work in a pinch. Never tried either of them myself.

Edit: Ginger is another one. Forgot to put it in the first reply lol.
Hmmmm....road apples....where to find some fresh terds? LOL

I think Mister-B is correct on the professional fix. However, I am looking for something in the short term. Still planning on taring apart heater and rebuilding this summer and will probably just buy a new radiator at that time. But looking for something quick and easy for now.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Hmmmm....road apples....where to find some fresh terds? LOL

I think Mister-B is correct on the professional fix. However, I am looking for something in the short term. Still planning on taring apart heater and rebuilding this summer and will probably just buy a new radiator at that time. But looking for something quick and easy for now.
I hear you, but unless you're in a survival situation and absolutely MUST get home, and you're fine knowing that adding egg whites to the radiator may get you home, but can potentially plug up all sorts of stuff and cost you hundreds of dollars to fix later...I'd buy a bottle of 50/50 antifreeze and keep it full until you can have the radiator fixed.

I bought a Lexus once that cost me thousands to fix later, because some tool that owned it before me put that stop leak crap in the radiator. Of course it didn't become evident until after I bought it. Live and learn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
JOJABOY

I don't want something that's going to jack up long term stuff. Kinda like fix a flat. Sure it will plug the whole but you will never be able to get that tire balanced again. Not unless you unmount it an grind out the hardened crap adding weight to one side of the tire.

I was reading about the Bar's Stop Leak stuff. Wondering if that will be somewhat ok for my system.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
I don't want something that's going to jack up long term stuff. Kinda like fix a flat. Sure it will plug the whole but you will never be able to get that tire balanced again. Not unless you unmount it an grind out the hardened crap adding weight to one side of the tire.

I was reading about the Bar's Stop Leak stuff. Wondering if that will be somewhat ok for my system.
Fix a flat is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Temporary solution, long lasting headaches later.

I'm sure Bar's will try to tell you it's safe, bla bla bla, but think about it: this stop leak stuff isn't magical. It doesn't know where your leak is. It just pumps crap throughout your entire cooling system until hopefully enough of it sticks to the hole to patch it. Meanwhile, it's attached itself to other parts of your cooling system that were fine prior, and you can get some funky problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
SCHRUMGMC

My Jetta has a leakage problem as well, still haven't fixed it
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
My Jetta has a leakage problem as well, still haven't fixed it
Can fix a leak but how do you fix Fahrvergnügen? LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Lattimer

Not a fan of stop leak. If its a "side of the road" type emergency, thats one thing. But otherwise, just fix it the right way and save a lot of headaches later.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

bars leak works great and any napa store has it as does o reillys and auto zone
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
SCHRUMGMC

Yeah, its leaking that good ole Green Stuff..

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 04-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
SCHRUMGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know what you have for an engine but if it is a stocker in a pinch I have just left the radiator cap on the safety position and not tightened all the way down. That way it doesn't build any pressure so it won't leak. Haven't had any problems doing that.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I don't know what you have for an engine but if it is a stocker in a pinch I have just left the radiator cap on the safety position and not tightened all the way down. That way it doesn't build any pressure so it won't leak. Haven't had any problems doing that.

LockDoc
That's a great tip! Hadn't thought of that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Tinsmith9

Years ago I did the loose radiator cap gig for awhile since I never had to travel far on the farm, but it only reduced the amount of leakage, didn't stop it completely. Hey Gunny, has anybody ever told you look like Clint?
Dan
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

In my younger days when I had few bucks and even less time I kept a modified radiator cap around , It was fixed so it didn't build pressure
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
ryanroo

I have used bars leak on many different vehicles with no long term effects that i noticed. the powder of AL oxide are no bueno.

if you buy a new GM crate engine with an aluminum block or heads and pull the t-stat housing off, sometimes you will find a pellet of solid bars leak. just depends on where they stashed it. it melts in warm water and is there to stop any leaks that may be present from the start and to help seal the porosity of the AL casting. when i found that the first time, i was a little curious. i called GM and was told that it was there for that reason. we tossed one of the two in the trash before i called and they recommended Bars leak in the first warm up cycle as a replacement.

i wouldnt be afraid of a bottle of bars leak

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
I have used bars leak on many different vehicles with no long term effects that i noticed. the powder of AL oxide are no bueno.

if you buy a new GM crate engine with an aluminum block or heads and pull the t-stat housing off, sometimes you will find a pellet of solid bars leak. just depends on where they stashed it. it melts in warm water and is there to stop any leaks that may be present from the start and to help seal the porosity of the AL casting. when i found that the first time, i was a little curious. i called GM and was told that it was there for that reason. we tossed one of the two in the trash before i called and they recommended Bars leak in the first warm up cycle as a replacement.

I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong if need be, but that sure seems peculiar. You're sure? Part of me hopes you're right, because I've got a leak I've been nursing along, and this would sure be an easy solution, but I'm just very hesitant
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
Daner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post

That's really interesting. Then on the other hand I hear rad repairmen cursing it. lol Pick your poison I guess.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsmith9 View Post
Years ago I did the loose radiator cap gig for awhile since I never had to travel far on the farm, but it only reduced the amount of leakage, didn't stop it completely. Hey Gunny, has anybody ever told you look like Clint?
Dan
Can't put my actual photo up there. Would scare anyone away from responding to my posts. This old Gunny doesn't have the look or swag of good ol' Clint.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
pritch

I've used Bar's Leak and the AL powder, and have never really been happy with either. I think sometimes the problem is that one can don't work, so you try another and another and pretty soon you have way to much in the system. Radiators are not that hard to fix-to solder. I used to have a small electric soldering iron that worked good. I would use some scissors and trim the fins off around the leak so I could get to the tube easily, then just use basic soldering skills. The key is to get the work hot enough to melt the solder but not too hot as to melt the tube.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
leddzepp

Bars leaks works great IMO. It's been around forever, my dad used to use it when I was a kid. It is made up of small pieces of cork, which will plug a leak. I can imagine a radiator shop cleaning it out though and cursing it, lol. If you have the cash take the radiator to a shop for repair...if not toss in some bars leaks and see if it stops.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote