The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2020, 03:19 AM   #1

Year correct license plate car vs truck

So for our year trucks, I believe the license plates had "TRUCK" stamped on them while the car plates did not have a description stamped.

Anyone registered or attempted to register their truck with a year correct car plate? Year correct trucks plates seem harder and more expensive. Just curious if the DMV gives a hard time for using the car plates from the same year.
337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Year correct license plate car vs truck

I don't know. I am in Texas and used Truck plates.
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
35boulder

I too am in Texas and the plate on my '69 is a truck plate. As I recall it was not too difficult to find a set.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Each state has their own laws, but I'd bet any state would want the type of tag originally assigned to that type vehicle

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
jbarron

Texas requires truck plates(2).
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Thanks, I almost pulled the trigger on some ebay car plates earlier without realizing it. It wasnt until I saw some truck plates later that it crossed my mind.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
54blackhornet

My 71 GMC still has the original plate it was delivered with. I reregistered it as a Special Interest vehicle. The sticker is a one time fee and no sales tax.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Each state has their own laws, but I'd bet any state would want the type of tag originally assigned to that type vehicle
As Tim mentioned, each state has it's own rules and regs. Best to contact your local DMV and ask what current restrictions are. Would not think it would be very hard to find the needed tag. Here in Kansas we have Year of Mfg. tags and also an "Antique" tag. Antique tagged vehicles must be 35 years or older. I have YOM tags on my '71 4x4, '71 Chevelle and my '57 Chevy 2dr. sedan. One time processing fee and then $17 per year per vehicle. I have a truck tag on the 4x4 and car tags on the remaining two. The county designation is not restricted to such but the year of the tag must match vehicle year.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Doug's68SS

the best thing to do is check with the Tax office. i know with new vehicles the TRUCK is no longer used in Texas depending on the Truck. I have heard you can put older car tags on an older Truck. i am goint to check for myself as the 68 car plates had HEMISPHERE on them since that was the year it took place in San Antonio.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's68SS View Post
the best thing to do is check with the Tax office. i know with new vehicles the TRUCK is no longer used in Texas depending on the Truck. I have heard you can put older car tags on an older Truck. i am goint to check for myself as the 68 car plates had HEMISPHERE on them since that was the year it took place in San Antonio.
Please post your findings and I'll do the same as I'm in San antonio TX also.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's68SS View Post
Please post your findings and I'll do the same as I'm in San antonio TX also. If anyone has used a 1970 TX car plate on a truck, please share as well. That would just open up options for what we can use. I'll be checking with my DMV soon. I may just walk in with the car plates if that's all I can find and play dumb to see if they pass them through.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
70c10-08

I don't know about Texas's laws but in Nebraska, A vehicle licensed with Vintage license plates may only be used for test drives, parades and hobby-related activities. Vehicles registered with Vintage license plates may not be used for normal transportation to and from work, driven on a daily basis, or used for hire. But, if you get the regular county truck or car plates in Nebraska you can drive to your hearts content. The first Vintage License Plate here is $89.00 but if you own more than one than it's $79.00. Plus you gotta send your vintage plate into the DMV in Lincoln to have it inspected and approved.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #13

For texas boys,from txdmv.gov :

Date: May 18, 2012

To:

All County Tax Assessor-Collectors

Subject:

Reuse of Previously Issued License Plates on Antique or Classic Vehicles

PURPOSE

To update procedures for approving old, previously-issued license plates for reuse on Antique and Classic vehicles.

DETAILS

Customers applying for Antique or Classic vehicle registration have the option of reusing old Texas license plates on vehicles in lieu of department-issued Antique or Classic license plates. Your office must examine the plates to determine if they meet the minimum requirements in state law (Transportation Code, Sec. 504.502).

The most important tool to help determine which old plates qualify is the book, "The History of Texas License Plates, 80th Anniversary Edition," which is posted on the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Web site at this link:http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed /publications/titles_registration.htm. Each old plate submitted for approval requires a complete examination of the minimum requirements listed below, and a detailed review of the relevant information in the license plate book.

Review of "The History of Texas License Plates"

Chapter 11 of "The History of Texas License Plates" provides a year-by-year detailed description of Texas license plates. Design, size, color, date of manufacture and plate patterns are presented for each year. Photographs of old plates are shown as examples. Pay close attention to: 1) proper plate type (passenger, truck, trailer, etc.); 2) proper year (may need to examine several years prior and subsequent); and 3) proper letters, patterns and separators.

Minimum Requirements

The following types of old license plates are not eligible for reuse and should not be approved:

license plates that restrict the use of a vehicle, such as Farm Truck or Dealer plates; and
qualifying license plates that do not restrict the use of a vehicle but require the applicant to meet one or more eligibility requirements, such as State Official and military license plates.
Old plates must be the same year as the year model of vehicle, with the correct color scheme, and be in good, readable condition. The plates must be free of rust. If not rust-free, the customer is required to remove the rust and repaint the plates according to the required color combination.
Classic and Antique plates may be registered to passenger, truck or motorcycle type vehicles. The vehicle classification of the Texas license plates must be the same as that of the vehicle being registered. If the classification is indistinguishable, the license plates may be used; however, the approval of such plates shall be at the discretion of each office.
If the license plates were originally issued in sets, a single license plate may not be approved for use as Antique or Classic registration. For example, single license plates, not sets, were issued during the years 1945-46.
The department did not issue license plates for registration years 1918-22, and 1943-44; registration discs or metal tabs were issued in those years. Approval for use of these license plates on the same model year vehicle is valid only if the respective year validation disc is approved and displayed on the license plates. For example, a 1919 vehicle would be required to display a 1917 license plate with a 1919 validation disc.
Prior to approval, the alpha numeric pattern of the personalized or general issue plate must be checked through RTS to ensure the requested pattern is not currently in use on another Texas vehicle. If the plate pattern is currently in use, the plates cannot be approved.
If approved, submit to the Special Plates Branch copies of the following items: license plates; written confirmation that plates have been approved; and Form VTR-54, Application for Antique License Plates, or Form VTR-850, Application for Classic License Plates.
NOTE: Do not approve use of replica plates, which are often made of aluminum and are a shiny gold or bronze on the reverse side.
COUNTY ACTION

When evaluating old license plates, please use the minimum requirements detailed in this RTB, and information in Chapter 11 of "The History of Texas License Plates."

CONTACT

If you have any questions, please contact your local TxDMV Regional Service Center.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
'70_402

The only way I've found to get around the Truck/Car plate in Texas is with 1968. The Worlds fair was in San Antonio in 1968 (Hemisfair) so they made special licence plates for that year only. Hemisfair plates and they did not have Truck/Car versions (or so i haven't been able to locate) so when i went to the DMV to register my plates i told them they didn't make a truck plate for that year, they looked in thier book and couldn't prove me wrong, so they registered them to me. (I've had these very same plates on a car before lol)
Attached Images

'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
70cst

I have 70 Truck plates on my truck
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #16
weq92f

I have seen trucks with car plates in Texas so it can be done. It depends on the office you go to and the person you get behind the glass! I purchased truck plates for mine though because they are expensive and didn't want to take the chance.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I have a "Previously un-issued" 70 Florida that I haven't used yet. It is truck specific although it doesn't say that on it. If I remember right the first number is the designation for Light Duty Truck.
You might say it's NOS.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
4X4GMC1972

In Texas it is very easy. You can use the plates to register as an everyday driver (highest taxes) or classic vehicle which has mileage restrictions. You just take the plates to the tax office when you register. They will research the number to make sure there isn't duplicates, take a photocopy of the plates and issue a window sticker with the plate number. You will have to have safety inspection and insurance prior to registering.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #19
rharris

PA period correct is ‘bicentennial state’ liberty bell. I think they ran it from 71-76 - no truck designation. To run period correct in PA you need to title the truck as antique with vintage plates - $75 extra fee for the vintage plate. The truck/no truck stamp doesn’t apply here to the vintage tag. As others stated, probably state DMV specific. I love seeing the vintage plates run.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I have '72 Farm Truck plates registered to my truck. We have to carry the state issued plates in the vehicle. I thought about it and have not installed the YOM plates, just run the historic plates from the state. I like to drive my truck and figure the YOM plates will draw attention from the po-po. Some cops don't understand the historic registration guidelines, plus many will want to check the legitimacy of the 48 year old plates. I'll just put them on for events/shows

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #21
tx68

I found my 1968 Texas truck plates at a local swap meet about 10 years ago. It looks like the guy I bought them from has since passed away, but his granddaughter may be trying to keep his business going. I found his old website and it is still active.
https://arthursautoantiques.com
Attached Images

tx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:39 AM   #22
dfwright

I have '72 "car" plates on my truck. I think if they say truck, it has to go on truck, but if they don't have a specific type you can use them if are the year of manufacture.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You're in Texas, but in California, the plates read "commercial" instead of "truck". My FiL didn't like to pay for commercial plates, so he registered it as a "House Car", since it had a "permanently" mounted camper shell- no jacks, it was bolted on. He and I've hauled tons of materials in the back, since the po-po can't see that it is being used for "commercial" purposes. When I consider that we weren't using it commercially, it's a moot point. Hauling a sheet of drywall for one's own house is hardly "commercial". I'd personally like to have the old black plates with yellow letters that it came with, but those are long gone.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #24
'68OrangeSunshine

I had to turn in the black commercial plates [10 5 66A] that came on my '68 C/10 stepside when I registered it in AZ in 1974.
In Arizona, they don't specify plates petween cars and trucks if not commercial. I still have an AZ commercial plate on the stepside -- I can park in a Loading Zone downtown for 15 minutes with my blinkers on. About the only advantage.
I saved the lemon yellow '69 -'72 plate off my Dad's '64 Olds wagon, when it went to the knackers. Collecting license plates was a kid hobby. Later it paid off when I found I could get YOM plates for my '71 GMC Jimmy and get classic registration and classic insurance and, most important, not have to run that 350 thru emissions.
I did get stopped by a rookie cop [and her training officer] soon after the law was out. Once they saw my papers and I explained the YOM program, they let me go.
Pix: Before and After...
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-08-2020 at 05:14 AM. Reason: explain pix
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #25
54blackhornet

The three represents Hillsboro county in Florida. The original 67/68 plate on my 67 MGB G/T
Attached Images