The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2001, 06:51 PM   #1
Wicked Sensation

Post Converting to manual brakes......

How hard is it to convert my 76 stepside to manual brakes and what would I need to acomplish this? This truck has had poor brake performance ever since I have owned it. So far I have replaced the brake fluid, master cylinder, both callipers and lines, pads, wheel cylinders, shoes, and drums. I have driven other 73-87 trucks and the brakes were so much better than mine are. This truck is pro street with skinnies up front and 29x18.5x15 rear tires. On the rearend, from the centersection out is all Dana 60 components. Is this contributing to my braking problems? The engine does not produce much vaccum at idle, but I do have a vaccum resivoir. I am thinking that going to manual brakes is the only option I have now. Any other suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance...

------------------
Mike
76 Chevrolet Stepside- 402 BBC, pro street
95 S10 2.2 Bagged
www.geocities.com/wikedsensation
67 F100 352/3 speed
72 Nova 307- 30,000 original miles
Wicked Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:39 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Red face

Mike,

I have a few suggestions before you try to convert your truck to manual brakes.

You mentioned you have low vaccuum at idle. What type of engine are you running. Is the connection on the carb good? Have you checked your intake for any leaks? How about the carb? Since you have replaced a good amount of components you need buddy to help you. Turn on your truck and have your buddy step on the brakes. Check for air leaks around the master cyliner vaccuum line connection. You won't find a leak there unless a buddy helps you. My brother was fighting a brake problem for a while and it was not until I help him with the above proceedure that we found the problem.
Do calipers work on the front? Remove the calipers and step on the brakes. They should move freely. How about the back? If you remove the tire can you remove the drum easily? If so then you need to adjust your brakes. Do a good job bleeding the brakes with a buddy. Brake fluid is cheap bleed the entire lines very good.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/
Old 12-09-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
Wicked Sensation

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look this weekend and see if the drums are adjusted correctly and check the calipers once again. I will also check for vaccum leaks at carb and arond the intake.
The engine in my truck is a 402 BB. It has a Weiand Action Plus manifold and a reworked Quadrajet(Soon to be replaced with a 750 Holley and Victor Jr. manifold. Although I dont know the cam specs, it does have a pronounced lope. As soon as I find out more I will post here. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

------------------
Mike
76 Chevrolet Stepside- 402 BBC, pro street
95 S10 2.2 Bagged
www.geocities.com/wikedsensation
67 F100 352/3 speed
72 Nova 307- 30,000 original miles
Wicked Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 10:05 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You can also get a vac storage canister...they work awsome.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote