The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Took a wild ride yesterday.

Went up to Marysville to pick up a 72 burb on my trailer. I only go the back roads because towing makes me nervous and I just don't like flying down the freeway towing a giant truck behind me.

I was coming home the back way through Sunnyside going about 30 mph and came around a corner and some guy was running the corners wide. I had to correct to move a little and it sent my trailer fish tailing. Ground was wet and I just couldn't get it under control. Sent me and my K20 flying off the road, went across the oncoming lane into a large muddy patch of gunk. Almost jack knifed my trailer.

Luckily no one was coming towards me and the other fella either didnt notice or didnt care...he was gone. Couple of kids coming up from behind asked if I was ok...they said it looked pretty crazy from behind. Wanted to know if I could get unstuck, not sure what they were gonna do in their little compact, lol...it was nice of them to ask though.

I tried to get out but was stuck good. Locked in the hubs, put it in 4 low and drove right out...ahhhh, gotta love a 4x4. After checking my load and my shorts, everything looked fine. I drove the next 15 miles home on back roads nice and slow.

When I got home the approach to my house has an up hill grade and my drive way has a down hill grade. Its a little tricky to back down to my shop. Angles are kinda tough. I was having a little difficulty getting it right. My honeys Trailblazer was a little in the way. I tried one more time to get the angle but her truck needed to be moved. The trailer was pointing right at it...downward slope. I tried to come forward a little and there was a loud bang behind me. I got out to look what the heck it was. My entire hitch assembly broke off except for one bolt. Thats all that was holding the trailer and burb from coming off and slamming into her truck.

Got her outside, blocked my trailer, was able to get it unhooked. Moved my truck to the neighbors driveway and squeezed hers in front of the trailer. Loaded the trailer to her hitch and backed the burb down the driveway.

Let me tell you that was a crazy drive home. I took the rest of the day off lol. It was pouring rain so I didnt take any pics.

Be careful out there guys...we have a dangerous hobby

Last edited by CG; 03-29-2010 at 09:48 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Re: Took a wild ride yesterday.

Wow, we had a similar hitch incident picking up the 70'. The lord was with us and sounds like you too. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
SATownChevy

wow dude, that is one hell of an afternoon.

was bonni on vacation during this ordeal? if she wasnt, think both of you had the same facial features during your 'off road' adventure

glad you made it out ok
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
rambler
MOVE OVER

wow.. at least you made it back in one piece no major damage!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
monte0185

I had that happen to me once. I was pulling my 57 chevy truck on and old farm trailer and hit a puddle of water going about 30mph trailer started to fishtail and we ended up in the ditch on the right hand side going the other direction. bent the hell out of my bedside and popped my tire but no one was hurt including the 57.

Post up some pics you know how we are. Glad everyone was safe and no-one was hurt.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
big_al_71

man you would probably been better off in the highway stay on the right lane cruising along.....Glad you are ok!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
After checking my load and my shorts
Isn't that redundant?

Scary ride indeed, glad things went as well as they did, it sure could have been a lot worse -- including the incident at home. Time for a stouter hitch...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
MCSO5164

Glad you made it home safe.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

shoulda driven it home!
things can get a bit hairy... but that's half the fun of it.
At least no one got injured and no real damage.

How anout pics of the new rig?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
shoulda driven it home!
things can get a bit hairy... but that's half the fun of it.
At least no one got injured and no real damage.

How anout pics of the new rig?
Ill post some pics up this weekend. Unfortunately for the new rig its getting parted. Its really not in too bad of shape. Im keeping the front clip and core support for my 71 K20. Mine is starting to rust. The complete chassis is going under my panel. It will save me a ton of work. Ill be gutting the interior for parts. I think Livrat is taking the shell for something he has up his sleeve. He needs to take a look at it first.

Im still back and forth on what engine trans to run. My family is pushing for me to go with my original plan of the Caddy.
So if thats the final decision this set up will be great for installing the engine. This way I wont scratch up the nice paint on the firewall of the panel.

Take off the burb body when Im done...pop on the panel...lol sounds so simple in my head.

Last edited by CG; 03-29-2010 at 10:20 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
70cst

Good story CG ... Glad all is ok.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote