The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
brandon-n-lisa

Lost a tire......in a very weird way

I wish I had taken pics before I started fixing this but here goes..........

I was cruising down the road at about 40.....when all of a sudden it felt like I had a flat. I pulled over....got out......all four tires were fully inflated...I thought maybe the drive shaft was toast ....so I checked it......I walked around the truck again and realized that there was not a single lug nut on my front right wheel. I looked more closely and all six (I have front drums) lug bolts had been sheered off clean against the drum. I found two of the lug nuts with the bolts still in them laying close by, and the threads were not chewed up or anything. It was like all six of them had been cut with a bandsaw. I had taken the wheel off a couple of weeks ago to check all of my brakes and I am sure that I put everything back on in the correct manner. I tightened all the lug nuts by hand, but I REALLY tightened them. Could I have tightened them too tight? Could I have put the wheel back on just a tiny bit skewed or something, and when it finally settled into the right place it sheered all the bolts? I am really scratching my head about this. Anyone else ever experience this?????
Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

That's definately from overtightening I would say. Especially since you remember actually tightening them REALLY tight, you can weaken the studs by stretching them and they shear off... bummer. I get paranoid about mine, so I always go to a tire shop and they will torque em for free.
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #3
brandon-n-lisa

I had no idea that you could over tighten your lug nuts. I have changed many many tires, and have always given 'em heck and really torqued them down. Guess I need to change that habit. I guess this is that one thing that I can finally call my Dad out on. He always taught me to do them as tight as possible by hand. Of course, I am sure he will deny it, and tell me "don't you know you never tighten them that tight!" Oh well, I'll never win. I will call this one of those lessons learned the hard way. Seems most of the lessons I get are the hard way.

Now I did tighten all of the rest of them about the same. Should I worry about replacing all of the lug bolts?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

actually wheels flex.....so having over tighten lugs is really bad cause it puts stress on them every time you turn. It makes them to stiff so the studs take the beating till they break.

There is also the problem of people having too big of a brake caliper, like aftermarket. So when they take it to the track, the calipers get all scratched up cause the wheels was to close.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
masterbeavis
Having issues

7/16" studs are prone to breaking i've witnessed, especially ones 20+ years old. I try to upgrade my stuff to larger diameters whenever possible, plus replace all of the studs when I change rotors just to be safe.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
Blazer1970

It is very easy to tighten those fine thread 7/16ths studs beyond their yield point. Once you go beyond the yield point they are as good as broken. Use a torque wrench. I have heard this same story a bunch of times.\

55 - 75 ft-lb for the 7/16 studs.

Last edited by Blazer1970; 08-19-2005 at 07:19 AM.
Blazer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

with Tim, and will add one more piece of advice. Replace all of your studs and lug nuts. You don't want this happening again, and since one set has failed, the rest are likely to fail. In addition to using a torque wrench, keep the studs lubricated. A drop on engine oil works great. It helps to prevent thread damage when tightening, and most torque values are set up for use with engine oil lubed threads.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
cdowns

yep old studs fail after being abused countless times by impact guns // a good practice when going to larger rims is to replace studs all the way around
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Well, I for one just learned something. Never thought this could happen. Have put on no tellen how many wheels with just the lug wrench and have always made sure they (lug nuts) were good and tight.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
rambler
MOVE OVER

Same here,, you always learn something from this board.. I never thought you could overtighten lug nuts.. ...
Old 08-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
brandon-n-lisa

I sure do appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna replace all the studs and nuts today.

Thanks - B -
Old 08-19-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
jhow66

Wonder what people did before torque wrenchs?
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
purple gas

Six of us were riding in the back of a Cube Van playing cards with a big tool box for a table and a bunch of smaller toolboxes for stools. A couple air compressors were there too just to add to our riding comfort. There we no windows in this thing only a small hole to see out the front. All of a sudden on this really bumpy narrow stretch of road with real deep ditches the floor starts shakin and makin a hell of a noise. Somebody says "Flat tire, hang on" Pretty soon the whole van is vibrating and the tool boxes are dancin around the floor, compressors are tippin over and very ones eyes are REAL big. I say " Flat tire my ass, the wheels are commin off"! That calmed everyone down. We lost both rear wheels from one side (did I mention Duals?) and came to a stop with one left on the other side,,sort of. Nice bit of work on the drivers part. We lived. They just had new tires isntalled the previous day. Be careful when you tighten things. and new studs are pretty cheap insurnace. I changed all mine.

Last edited by purple gas; 08-19-2005 at 11:02 AM.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
brandon-n-lisa

Thanks for all the advice guys. I changed all of the studs out this morning. Pretty easy job. Wish I had know about not tightening them too tight, but it sure as heck fire won't happen again. I am taking my truck on her first long trip today. Going 300 miles to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Hope everything goes well, but I am pretty much taking my whole tool box just in case.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #15
krue
Designated A-hole!

You can never have too many tools.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #16
Gary

Thanks to this thread, when I get my new rims put on my truck I think I'm gonna get new studs all around too and new lugnuts, etc.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
acloco

ALWAYS torque the wheels...you got lucky.

I am 5'11"/250 lbs....I can easily break 7/16" lugs....not bragging either.

Everybody should test themselves.....measure how much torque you can hand tighten something....with just a 8" long 3/8 ratchet...you will be surprised....then throw some shoulders, a little grunt, and some leverage (as in a tire wrench)....easily over 240 ft lbs.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 PM   #18
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I broke 3 out of 5 studs on my 71 Cutlass right after "supposedly" mounting some weld wheels, but I guess I didnt' get them tight enough. I went to the opposite extreme trying not to warp them. I heard a very loud knocking sound, which was the wheel wobbling back and forth.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #19
72LNGHRN

last time i got tires the place that did it stripped half the lugs by using an impact now i always have them hand tighten them
72LNGHRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Overtightening lug nuts also is a good way (bad way) to really warp & ruin your disk brake rotors on any car or truck, new or old. Leads quickly to an expensive replacement job. Don't ask how I know.........
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #21
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

I have a Isuzu Rodeo and ruined the lug nuts and studs on one wheel by overtightening them. The tapered part of the lug nut pinched down on the threads of the stud and then when I went to remove them the next time, tore up the threads. I always use a torque wrench now. Cost me $50 to replace the lugs and studs on one wheel.

Founding member of the No Money To Spend On My Truck Club.

When your at Home Depot, you WISH you had gotten an 8 foot bed!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #22
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
You can never have too many tools.

That's my personal motto.

Founding member of the No Money To Spend On My Truck Club.

When your at Home Depot, you WISH you had gotten an 8 foot bed!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:16 AM   #23
GMC AMI

Talking

[QUOTE=brandon-n-lisa] I tightened all the lug nuts by hand, but I REALLY tightened them. Could I have tightened them too tight?

WOW, that's some hands you have, I use a four way wrench. I never lost a patient yet.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #24
rs108

Just had the same thing happen to my round baler. all the studs were sheared except for one that pulled through the rim and ruined it. I found the other studs and the lugs were tight.
rs108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #25
72longbed
Account Suspended

Exclamation Very Good Post!

This is a very important Post for this Board. With what we do here, working on 30 something year old trucks, its only a matter of time before a lot of us are going to experience similar events unless we do a couple of things. Since most of us are not the original owners of these vehicles, and don't know the complete history of every darn time the wheels came off and back on that truck, one of the SMARTEST and SAFEST things we all can do is to replace the STUDS and LUG NUTS on your favorite old truck. IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Most of the mechanics that work in garages use impact wrenches that are set at anywhere from 200 ft. lbs. to 400 ft. lbs.. Thirty something year old metal with threads on it that has been stressed over and over again can't take those type of forces and survive. Take the time to replace ALL the studs and lug nuts at the same time with new steel and only allow them to be hand torqued (with a Torque wrench) to their recommended spec., NO HIGHER!

Even a big ass 9/16 stud only needs around 100 ft. lbs to be dead tight, and as long as it never gets 'stretched' by over tightening in it's lifetime, it will last many, many years. Its all about the care that was taken before you got the truck. If you don't know its history really well, REPLACE 'EM!! Its your life and your family and loved ones lives that you are protecting.

Sincerely serious on this topic,
72longbed

Last edited by 72longbed; 08-21-2005 at 08:22 PM.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote