The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
gintaras

Road trip pickup and a lot of questions..

Well, kind of an impulse buy, I admit, and the fact that this truck is (claimed to be) all original, rust-free, and 65k miles, perhaps not the best choice for a first truck, but oh well...

Cut back a week or so, I bought a '72 LWB Highlander in Dark Olive/White with 65k original miles, original paint, engine, everything.. has all options except BB. It has new tires and battery.

Now, I haven't actually seen this truck in person, but plenty of detailed pics.

I am in Schererville, IN, the truck is in TX.. a friend and I will fly down next week and drive it back up.. I know, I should have a trailer for that, but hey, you only live once, and it will be a nice little (1000 mile) road trip for us. I plan on changing the oil and trans fluid (it has a TH350), carry an extra set of points and change the fuel filter, and bring an extra one just in case.

So, I guess I don't have a LOT of questions.. but what was the 350 rated at in '72? what was the comp ratio? What is the fuel capacity of the tank? I would think it would probably take 4 tanks to make the trip.

Other than the above mentioned pre-flight activities, I will also tape up the front end with some blue painters tape to prevent any rock chips on the original paint.. anything else I should be doing before this 1000 mile drive from Hou to NWI (Northwest Indiana)

Thanks!

Last edited by gintaras; 09-03-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: pics for clicks
gintaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: Road trip pickup and a lot of questions..

Thats a nice looking truck.Just bring some tools,stock up on fluids and dont fortget the duct tape.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Thats a nice looking truck.Just bring some tools,stock up on fluids and dont fortget the duct tape.
he wont be able to bring tools on the flight im sure

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
gintaras

I'll buy a small toolkit when i get there.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriden58 View Post
he wont be able to bring tools on the flight im sure
He can box them up and bring them with him. He'll just have to check them at the luggage counter.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
He can box them up and bring them with him. He'll just have to check them at the luggage counter.
man i was always told i couldnt bring tools on a plane i went to a King Demon Crown race a couple years ago and wanted to bring back some nice tool sets but they said it wasnt allowed

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
jorgensensc

He can definitely bring tools!! I do it every time I end up in Arizona driving something back to TX. Just put them in a toolbox (unlocked) and heck the box as luggage. They will inspect it at some point. I throw a lock inside with a note that asks that they please lock the box after inspection. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Looks like a great truck. Best word of advice I can give you is buy an extra fuel filter for it that goes in the carb, get an inline one to put in also before you leave. As you drive you will probably stir up a bunch of trash in the tank, and the sock may or may not be intact on the pick up. Grab an extra set of belts. And since you may not be able to trust the gas gauge (even if it works initially) stop every 200 miles to fill up, just to be on the safe side. This also helps you not pick up a bunch of trash in the fuel lines as the tank gets low. Grab an extra fuel pump also, they are cheap, and you just don't know if that one will go bad. Get a big gallon of oil for anything that might start leaking, as well as a big thing of brake fluid (again, in case you develop a leak). And if the radio doesn't work, stop and buy a small 10.00 radio and batteries on the way back. Trust me, you will need tunes. 2 trips from Az without a radio and I will never go without tunes again!!

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
leddzepp

Nice truck...curious as to what you paid for it?
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
He can definitely bring tools!! I do it every time I end up in Arizona driving something back to TX. Just put them in a toolbox (unlocked) and heck the box as luggage. They will inspect it at some point. I throw a lock inside with a note that asks that they please lock the box after inspection. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Looks like a great truck. Best word of advice I can give you is buy an extra fuel filter for it that goes in the carb, get an inline one to put in also before you leave. As you drive you will probably stir up a bunch of trash in the tank, and the sock may or may not be intact on the pick up. Grab an extra set of belts. And since you may not be able to trust the gas gauge (even if it works initially) stop every 200 miles to fill up, just to be on the safe side. This also helps you not pick up a bunch of trash in the fuel lines as the tank gets low. Grab an extra fuel pump also, they are cheap, and you just don't know if that one will go bad. Get a big gallon of oil for anything that might start leaking, as well as a big thing of brake fluid (again, in case you develop a leak). And if the radio doesn't work, stop and buy a small 10.00 radio and batteries on the way back. Trust me, you will need tunes. 2 trips from Az without a radio and I will never go without tunes again!!
I would say this is some great advice!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I've done what you are doing quite a few times in my 59 years and its always been a hoot and have never had a breakdown. Enjoy the trip and yes, bringing a couple of tools and changing out some basic filters etc. isn't a bad idea.

Take some pics on the way home and let us know how your trip goes.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
gintaras

what about the HP, compression ratio, etc..?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
67c-10Texas

a gas card?
67c-10Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
72highlander
Sophomore Member

[QUOTE=gintaras;2874865]
Other than the above mentioned pre-flight activities, I will also tape up the front end with some blue painters tape to prevent any rock chips on the original paint

there's a board member on her name Film Guy that sells and installs clear film on the front of vehicles to protect them from rock chips, you might want to look into that if you want some permanant protection that's not quite as flashy as blue tape!

four tanks might not do it, i've never gotten more than 12 mpg out of any i had even with 3.08 gears, 70 mph will get you about 3k rpm's.

you might also look at the emergency contact list and get some staff numbers in the event you do have problems, but i bet it will be fine. travel mercies!

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6

Last edited by 72highlander; 09-03-2008 at 06:17 PM.
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

factory HP is 165 for a 2 barrell and 175 for a 4 barrell.I don't have the CR handy but I would guess in the 9:1 range.I think about 18-19 gal on the tank but I am not sure.

BTW Nice looking truck.I hope it is as advertised.There are not many "Rust Free" trucks around.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
Knot at Work

Congrats on finding a great survivor!

I also recently purchased a one owner survivor all original. I use her as my daily driver because it is so damn fun to drive.

I picked my truck up and trailered her home 400 miles. I did that for two reasons, 1 save mileage on the truck and two make sure I had a chance to change every fluid and spark plugs wires etc,, the POS did a great job maintaining my beauty and he kept meticulous records however at 126000 miles orginal I needed to make sure for piece of mind.

Since you want to drive yourself and you have the same basic truck I have I recommend the following:

Change the Oil. good 10W40 5 QTS
New oil Filter
New Air Filter
New Fuel Filter
1 Pint of Dexron ATF

Your Fuel tank is a 20 gallon tank.

Since your not sure the status of your Carb I would get some Gas Treatment for the first couple of tanks.

You can change all the above the first night at the hotel while you drink a cold beer and talk about your truck, because people will be asking!

You got a great score!

Keep her stock. I am!
Knot at Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Knot at Work

oh yea and your range will be around 190-220 miles a tank in the city so you can average 200 miles per tank load. No low level light for fuel but a quick jerk of the wheel will swish the fuel and in no time you can tell the level by the sound the tank makes!
Knot at Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #17
QKENUF4U

yea thats a awesome looking truck. what did ya pay ? im jealous of everyone of you guys. my 91 just dont do it for me even if it does get 20mpg i dont care, i have the bike for mileage i just want my 67-72 short bed 2wd again !!!!!!!!!
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
cparman
sharp as a marble

SO, I sold my 67 Chevelle BB, and told my wife I was DONE! That lasted a month, and she was going to her mom's for a week. I went with her and bought my 69. She went with me to look at it, and asked " what are you going to do if it breaks down?". My response was " hey, I have a cell phone, and a credit card " I own an auto repair shop, and think I am fairly crafty. I drove my old girl 400+ miles, stopping every 100-125 miles to check her vitals, and get a bottle of water, and remove one. SO, I get within 150 miles of the house, and I am thinking I did good. Stop to remove some water, and she is missing bad. I did not get excited, and pulled up to the pump, and left her running ( it is dark ) and can see that spark plug wire arcing against the exhaust manifold. I get into my bag of hand tools, and shut her off. I fill her up, drain me, some electrical tape to the plug wire in question, and then tape it to the heater hose. I drove my truck 550 miles in 10 hours, and had a ball. Take some tools, and stop often is my advise. The steering box was so bad on my 69, that you could turn it from 10 to 2 before it responded. since then : p/s, pdb, 700r4, stereo. a/c next month
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Boog
laying low

Road trips into the great unknown.......gotta love em.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
gintaras

Thanks for all of your replies! it has been a lONG time since I've owned a carb'd vehicle.. I had a '78 impala coupe when I was 17, thing would fall on it's face every tme if you gave it too much gas off the line.. I've had 2 S-10's and a '92 Sonoma

it is a 4 bbl, so I guess it is 175hp.. and as much as I would like to keep it untouched, I think a head job would need to be in order to bump it up to around 300 or more..

a gas card? hmm, may have to look into that if it will save a few bucks.. and I am really looking forward to the road trip, I have never driven to or from that direction, so it should be a blast.. and I will definitely take lots of pics along the way.. sorry for not revealing the price, but believe me, it was not stolen.. if anything I am thinking I ma have paid too much, but it is what it is.. lets just say it was north of 5k, way north...

Once again, thanks for the replies, and I will definitely print out that emergency list to take with me

Last edited by gintaras; 09-03-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

welcome to the board! Your trip will be awesome. Take lots and lots of photos.... you'll remember this for a long time.
11 months ago I flew from Ohio to seattle and drove back a 72 burb in WAY worse shape than that.
I wouldn't count on 200 miles to the tank. I have NEVER gotten that kind of mileage in a stone stock truck, and 1/2 the ones I owned were the 350/TH350 like yours.
That truck is awesome. Those hubcaps are impossible tofind, and the seat is in awesome shape (that's the dealer promotional thing listed on the SPID)
If you know/trust anyone in the area of the seller, you can pack a cooler full of tools, and ship them via DHL (cheapest) or UPS.... or even USPS. (thats how i did it)
click on the link in my signiture for the thread on my burbarific road trip. it's neater than 2 chicks kissing.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
70cst

gintaras...that is one nice truck! I agree that I would do an oil change, check the radiator, check your wipers, and transmission fluid. I would have a credit cart for cash and have a bank card so if you need money you can draw it out. Don't forget a digital camera for plenty of pics. I see you live In..I may have to stop in for a visit. good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 09-03-2008 at 10:17 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #23
msgross

you could put a TSA lock on a toolbox (if they allow one to be checked) then they could open it and close it without issue. THey sell them at wal-mart in the luggage area. grab a fire extinguisher as well...

ever thought about AAA? might not be bad to look into if stuff really goes bad.

Good luck...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #24
WorkinLonghorn

As far as I recall your comp ratio would be 8.5. One thing not mentioned,yet one of the most critical is to check the TIRES over real close and look for any inpact damage,sidewall deterioration,old plugs in the sides or in the tread (but especially in the sides!).
Put it in neutral with the parking brake on and crawl under and twist the shaft looking for loose U-joints.
Those tanks are supposed to be 20 gal. but mine holds a bit over 21.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Very nice truck, I think you've done well and won't have any problems.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote