The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Leak Question

On a 64 C10 SBSS 283 3 Speed....

there is a 1/2 plug above the oil cannister on the drivers side rear.

Looks like a brass freeze plug that rotted out.

Is it an oil plug...oil wet wet wet all around and drippin down but nothin in that hole except a hole.

I thought the rear of the intake was leakin but maybe not.

Whats the plug for? Oil gally, water galley, nothing special?

Last edited by Sharps40; 12-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: Leak Question

Here it is.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I think thats mud dauber nest in there and perhaps a threaded bung behind it?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Leak Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
On a 64 C10 SBSS 283 3 Speed....

there is a 1/2 plug above the oil cannister on the drivers side rear.

Looks like a brass freeze plug that rotted out.

Is it an oil plug...oil wet wet wet all around and drippin down but nothin in that hole except a hole.

I thought the rear of the intake was leakin but maybe not.

Whats the plug for? Oil gally, water galley, nothing special?
Some of the older sbc's had an oil port where you described, "above the oil cannister on the drivers side rear". Was another place from which you could run an oil pressure gauge.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I changed the intake manifold gaskets. No leaks there but still dripping out and gettin on the drivers side spark wires. This is a 64 283 original to the C10 SBSS. Is it possible this is a threaded plug or is it more likely a simple plug that gets driven in. After a good wipe down and drive, oil is back around this spot, I think its likely the source of the leak.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

What you really should do is spray some gunk engine cleaner on it and power wash it off and then keep an eye on it and you will be able to tell exactly where the leak is coming from. It could be valve covers or the oil pressure sending unit. With that much oil on the engine, it is hard to tell where it is coming from and besides, your engine will thank you for giving it a bath.

By the way, you will not have any oil plugs that press in. All of the oil plugs will be pipe thread like 1/8 or 3/8. Normally these plugs are brass and it is rare that they leak unless it is loose enough to fall out. It is hard to tell from the photo you posted.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays
Tom
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Leak Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
I changed the intake manifold gaskets. No leaks there but still dripping out and gettin on the drivers side spark wires. This is a 64 283 original to the C10 SBSS. Is it possible this is a threaded plug or is it more likely a simple plug that gets driven in. After a good wipe down and drive, oil is back around this spot, I think its likely the source of the leak.
Sharps, good to hear. Hope you got it. Had maybe found your "mystery plug": remainder of a rung-off sending unit? See photo via RockAuto.
Sam
Attached Files
File Type: doc brass.doc (28.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by luvbowties; 12-21-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I layed under it running for 15 minutes, its not leaking from this plug/port. Its coming from just above, dripping off the lower spark wire holders and running down to the oil cannister.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets weeks ago and the intake gaskets today. It could be the valve cover gaskets. Or it could be a buncha residual oil runnin down. It seems to have slowed up. I'll drive it a couple days and see where I'm at.

But, I have at least confirmed it ain't the welch plug on the cam, it aint the rear main or oil pan and it aint the oil filter gasket or the plug above it.

If it ain't residual oil, I hope its valve covers. That intake job today was a bear. It'd almost be easier to pull the engine to do that job.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Sharps40
Account Suspended

We ran it around tonight. I'll check in the morning. The rear of the intake seems dry and the location kinda makes me suspect the new valve cover gasket. I glued em to the valve covers but not the heads. If its not simply extra old oil runnin of, I'll pull that cover and goope it up. Just need this old 283 to stay together till this summer when I change it over to a 327 and Muncie 4 speed.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Good news is I got the dizzy back in right on the first try and it fired right up for a quick and easy tune. I burned one tire goin out of the garage, guess I need a posi to go with that new engine/trans combo this summer.
Closed Thread