The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
dmartin1

building my rough beat down 67 c10 for a DD/trip truck?

i bought a 1967 c10 that sat in a field for 15 years.its got rust/rot etc.but anywho-

the driver side sits like 3-4 inches lower then passenger side.-balljoint or bushing gone?
im adding power steering/powerbrakes and all,i will be using this truck for trips 200 miles away.

should i just dissasemble the entire front end? fenders etc are already off) and put new bushings and ball joints?

it has the 327 v8.
i plan on degreasing it all/painting it.and re-ringing it as well as new valve seals etc etc.my question,running this sucker basically stock,cluch fan/quadrajet carb(aluminum intake) and all what kind of reliability or gas mileage would i be lookin at?
i dont expect high performance,just good running reliable quiet comfy ride.

ive been told quadrajet carbs suck all in all,is thuis true even if rebuilt thouroughly and tuned?
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
dmartin1

Re: building my rough beat down 67 c10 for a DD/trip truck?

50 miles of this trip is a pretty steep incline as well.*..i hate overheating...
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

Since you already have the front cap off it makes it easier to inspect the steering/suspension components. Use a pry bar and jack to find slack in ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, control arm bushings, steering shaft rag joint, etc.
Remove, check and repack the wheel bearings. Do a brake job on it while you're there, front and rear.
3 to 4" difference between right and left side is a lot. Are all the tires the same size? Have the coil springs been heated, broken coils? Bent front control arms?
Send that radiator out to be checked and cleaned. Better to find out now if it's up to the task than out on the highway.
Quadrajet? Everybody has their opinions on them. Some are afraid of them mainly because they're a bit more complicated than others. The way I see it if General Motors thought enough of them to use them on most all their V8 vehicles they must be just fine. A properly rebuilt Qjet will run great for a lot of miles and with no additional tuning necessary. The smaller primaries of the Qjet tend to get better mpg than a 2 barrel or other quad carbs.
Don't expect great mpg numbers with this truck in stock form. 10 to 15 highway will be the norm with a good setup in most cases. Aerodynamically challenged. Your results may vary.
Dig in and have fun.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

A 40 year old tired truck for a daily driver is gonna net you MAYBE 12mpg. Once you're in the engine to rering it... don't be suprised that you might need to do a complete tear down and rebuild.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote