The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Milty67_71

1971 350 Help!

Hi guys'
I bought a '71 C10 a month ago and it ran great. I had to install a new set of headers and it fired up after I got them on. Then I went out to start it the next day and I lost all power, no lights, no anything. I took it to a mechanic ( out of my skill range ) and he said I had a bad draw off the ignition and bypassed it with a push button start, which I dislike. But now it will start run for a few minutes then shut off, and won't start until it has cooled down. I don't know what it could be. Any idea's?
Thanks!
-drew

-1971 C10
-1967 C10
-1999 Tahoe
Milty67_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Clutch442

Re: 1971 350 Help!

Does it have an HEI distributor in it? If so my first stop would be the ignition module.
Clutch442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Autoblueprint

Post Re: 1971 350 Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milty67_71 View Post
Hi guys'
I bought a '71 C10 a month ago and it ran great. I had to install a new set of headers and it fired up after I got them on. Then I went out to start it the next day and I lost all power, no lights, no anything. I took it to a mechanic ( out of my skill range ) and he said I had a bad draw off the ignition and bypassed it with a push button start, which I dislike. But now it will start run for a few minutes then shut off, and won't start until it has cooled down. I don't know what it could be. Any idea's?
Thanks!
-drew
My first thought is that the heat from the headers is making the starter motor too hot. Can you post some pics of the headers installed in your truck? Pics help a lot on this board when trying to help someone solve a problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
drivingslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblueprint View Post
My first thought is that the heat from the headers is making the starter motor too hot. Can you post some pics of the headers installed in your truck? Pics help a lot on this board when trying to help someone solve a problem.
Yes, well said, my thought as well...

But I once remember putting headers on a 70, years ago, and we silly amateurs (at the time) did not realize the positive cable off the battery was simply too close to the new header. It also had too much free play, and would occasionally touch the header - shutting down the engine. A silly mistake, but sometimes it can be overlooked, as you think it isn't touching the header looking down from standing outside the fender. And when it cooled it would work fine again. Any wire, I believe, even a radio connect burning on the header, could cause a problem.

Sometimes it can be the most simple...
drivingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Milty67_71

Thanks for the quick response! I am trying to get pictures up. My computer is just worthless. I will keeping trying!

-1971 C10
-1967 C10
-1999 Tahoe
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Milty67_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingslow View Post
Yes, well said, my thought as well...

But I once remember putting headers on a 70, years ago, and we silly amateurs (at the time) did not realize the positive cable off the battery was simply too close to the new header. It also had too much free play, and would occasionally touch the header - shutting down the engine. A silly mistake, but sometimes it can be overlooked, as you think it isn't touching the header looking down from standing outside the fender. And when it cooled it would work fine again. Any wire, I believe, even a radio connect burning on the header, could cause a problem.

Sometimes it can be the most simple...
I had thought of that as well. However the truck had headers before I bought it, just had a hole in them. I will check it over once again though! Thanks!

-1971 C10
-1967 C10
-1999 Tahoe