The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
handyhands

first step

I am still trying to make a deal on a 51 chevy truck. This will be my first build.
What was the first thing you did when you got your truck?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Intimidator

Re: first step

Took it apart
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Took it apart
me too

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
FFredo

Ordered a repair manual
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
MrDude_1

well.. unlike the first two people above, I thought ahead.

I sat in the seat, ignoring the odd smell, and enjoyed imagning what it would be like to drive it. I took a couple pics of it.

.... because I knew that would be the first/last time i would ever do that in the truck for atleast 3 years.

and then I took it apart.

edit:
ok, thats not entirely true.. I WENT to take it apart, and found out half the interior is held together with these special screws.. So I had to order the tools for it.
THEN I took it apart.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
rgunlock

Took some pictures, and then took it apart.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
handyhands

Well, I was thinking about pictures, pressure washing, more pictures. would the pressure washer be the wrong thing or would it be o.k?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Coupeguy2001

got it running and drove it around the block fast before the air went out of the tires
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
rgunlock

I doubt anyone here would fault you for pressure washing to get some "after" pictures.

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I put in on a trailer and towed it from St. Louis to Dallas, then I stripped it down to the frame. That is two rails and 3 cross braces. Then to the blaster.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
rgunlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I doubt anyone here would fault you for pressure washing to get some "after" pictures.
BTW, if your pressure washer is strong enough to screw with the paint, you can just claim that the second thing you did with your truck is "improve the patina"

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Brought mine home in pieces/boxes, 3 pickup truck loads. Stood in my garage looking over everything and said "what the &*^%&!! have I gotten myself into".

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
OrrieG

Started driving it (1976). After 2 years (1978) took out the 3 speed and dropped in a granny 4 speed and 1 ton rear end so I could crawl around the desert and mountains with a camper on the back. After another 7 (1985) years pulled the 6, 4 speed and rear end and added a 283 and 74 4wd axles, trans and transfer. After another 15 (2000) years of daily driving, camping and hunting took it apart to get the rust out. Still trying to get it back together.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Brought mine home in pieces/boxes, 3 pickup truck loads. Stood in my garage looking over everything and said "what the &*^%&!! have I gotten myself into".
http://quotationsbook.com/quote/42246/
This should help you out.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
Daze57

bought it in 85 - after looking @ 11 other ones here in vegas - most were pretty beat up -found this good one - drove it for 12 years - it had a 350 backed by a 3 speed powerglide- cooked the motor goin to the mts. - got it turned around and limped home - next day started - to pull motor .......................pulled EVERYTHING -started to rebuild it compleatly .-sigh ..........years and many setbacks later - almost done - talk about a long haul now i look @ it as a quiet hibernation ----- now subframed - 383 backed by a vette built 700r4 ;backed by full 85 vette rear end
waitin for the day to drop the hammer and drive it like i should have been doin; a long time ago .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
hotrodrookie

Learned how to drive a stick and drove it around my neighborhood. Pulled out the 327 that was in it to put into at 67 chevelle. Started to take it apart. Misplaced many fasteners in the process, lol. Started to strip the paint(which i really regret, wish i still had the patina) and ordered a bunch of patch panels from LMC.
hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by big chevy 3600 View Post
http://quotationsbook.com/quote/42246/
this should help you out.
lol!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
bought it in 85 - after looking @ 11 other ones here in vegas - most were pretty beat up -found this good one - drove it for 12 years - it had a 350 backed by a 3 speed powerglide- cooked the motor goin to the mts. - got it turned around and limped home - next day started - to pull motor .......................pulled EVERYTHING -started to rebuild it compleatly .-sigh ..........years and many setbacks later - almost done - talk about a long haul now i look @ it as a quiet hibernation ----- now subframed - 383 backed by a vette built 700r4 ;backed by full 85 vette rear end
waitin for the day to drop the hammer and drive it like i should have been doin; a long time ago .
Be proud of your hard work.
Send pictures...

Your post made me think about something. Most of the Stovebolt Gallery has
early pictures and a story about our trucks. I would like to see, as Paul Harvey use to say, "the rest of the story", of these old trucks. What did you do to improve yours, what does it look like now? If not just one picture of the truck how about a link to Photo-bucket or some other site?
Whose with me!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
I am still trying to make a deal on a 51 chevy truck. This will be my first build.
What was the first thing you did when you got your truck?
Is this truck you are dealing on running and driveable? If it is I would clean it up and drive it some while I was tinkering with it. Decide what you want to do to it before ripping it apart. You might even start getting parts together while you can still haul them home in it, LOL. I think the worst mistake for someone who hasn't done a few builds is to rip it all apart too soon. It's easy to get overwhelmed and loose interest when it's in a thousand pieces and the effort and expenses start mounting up.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Is this truck you are dealing on running and driveable? If it is I would clean it up and drive it some while I was tinkering with it. Decide what you want to do to it before ripping it apart. You might even start getting parts together while you can still haul them home in it, LOL. I think the worst mistake for someone who hasn't done a few builds is to rip it all apart too soon. It's easy to get overwhelmed and loose interest when it's in a thousand pieces and the effort and expenses start mounting up.
My advantage was, I had owned a 51 3100 when I was much younger. I knew what I had and I knew what I wanted so there was no reason to hesitate. I do think it wise to "count the cost" before you start any project, do you have the room to work to store parts, the money to finish what you start, will this project disrupt the marriage, loose friends and neighbors...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
Intimidator

One thing I will say/suggest...

On a first build, especially if running.... (So you can iron out some mechanical such as brakes, drivetrain, and still enjoy for now)

A good thing to do is identify a parts list.
Gather these parts.
Put together a game plan, in order.

THEN start on it.

SO MUCH TIME is spent just gathering....

You can easily spend a ton of time screwing around getting things together for something that will only take 10 minutes once you have everything.

Having everything there when starting will really help progress.

Also, the right tools for the job will speed things tremendously and make your life a lot easier. So you can add that to an initial list.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
OrrieG

And while it may be obvious photograph everything, from different angles, when you take it apart. Bag and clearly label every thing you take off, even the pieces you are going to probably toss (they become the answer to the question what kind of bolt goes here?). I did both and now 10 years into my build it is nice to open the coffee can and find all the misc. parts. My only faux pas was using a video camera for the early part of my tear down. The camera crapped out and I still have to tranfer it to something else. Luckily my kid had the same camera so I can at least look at it for reference. At the time I thought it was a good idea because I had a running narrative to go with the photos. I also made extensive hand notes (bed bolt layout, fire wall layout, etc.) when I thought I might need to remember. Buy a Factory Assembly Manual. It will show you all the pieces that have fallen off or are a mystery when you take it apart. Bribe your wife with what ever turns her crank, you never know when you will need a third hand or someone to fix your wounds. Good luck
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I totally agree with this statement. I will only add start going to car shows and cruise nights to see what you like and don't like. It will help give you direction as to what you want to build be it stock, modified, hotrod, traditional, etc. It may also allow you to meet some new helpful friends.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
And while it may be obvious photograph everything, from different angles, when you take it apart. Bag and clearly label every thing you take off, even the pieces you are going to probably toss (they become the answer to the question what kind of bolt goes here?). I did both and now 10 years into my build it is nice to open the coffee can and find all the misc. parts. My only faux pas was using a video camera for the early part of my tear down. The camera crapped out and I still have to tranfer it to something else. Luckily my kid had the same camera so I can at least look at it for reference. At the time I thought it was a good idea because I had a running narrative to go with the photos. I also made extensive hand notes (bed bolt layout, fire wall layout, etc.) when I thought I might need to remember. Buy a Factory Assembly Manual. It will show you all the pieces that have fallen off or are a mystery when you take it apart. Bribe your wife with what ever turns her crank, you never know when you will need a third hand or someone to fix your wounds. Good luck

DITTOS on the pictures! A minimum of 1,000 shots.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
justplainray

1000 photos

which of course you will post here for all to see...

justplainray
justplainray is offline   Reply With Quote