The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
jocko

hmmm. How difficult are hinge pillars to weld in...?

Found a nice old truck, but lower hinge area has a fair amount of rust according to owner (still waiting on his pics). Assuming the worst and replacement needed, how much of a major pain in the buttocks is this? I have some welding experience, but not a lot.

Thanks guys - just trying to be realistic about what I am in for when I see the close-ups so I can decide if I want to buy this thing. Otherwise, it's just what I'm looking for. From the few average pics I've seen from the sides, the areas do not look too bad on the outside - i.e. no gaping holes where you could see the driver or passenger's feet....
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: hmmm. How difficult are hinge pillars to weld in...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Found a nice old truck, but lower hinge area has a fair amount of rust according to owner (still waiting on his pics). Assuming the worst and replacement needed, how much of a major pain in the buttocks is this? I have some welding experience, but not a lot.

Thanks guys - just trying to be realistic about what I am in for when I see the close-ups so I can decide if I want to buy this thing. Otherwise, it's just what I'm looking for. From the few average pics I've seen from the sides, the areas do not look too bad on the outside - i.e. no gaping holes where you could see the driver or passenger's feet....
What year truck? Really just time consuming cutting old crap out not hard at all I have done both AD and TF Trucks. Getting ready to work on Neighbors new projet look at my build the cabs are there.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
jocko

Ah, Good Point! Sorry - it's a 55 1st series.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
jocko

HEY, I just noticed, you're in Rosamond! That's the next "big" town over!
I drive thru there all the time, used to be at Edwards a few years back too.
I'll check out your build thread too.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Rude Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Get yourself a nice machine mig Lincoln, Hobart or Miller that uses Argon gas prefable a 220 Volt machine. I have used a 110 V Lincoln with argon and chopped my roof on a 1931 Ford Model A (3 inches). Practise on scrape, migs are easy to master they also sell easy grind wire at most welding shops. Stay away from crap that HF sells transformers get hot end up with ****ty welds that break plus parts all all metric.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
jocko

yep, you are absolutely correct with that advice, I've been using a Miller 211 Autoset for a few years and I love it. I move a lot (so I rent houses more often than buy) so it helps to have a 110/220 option built into the welder.