The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Roddude

Vasoline-not just for Saturday nights!

Why is it we can take a rusted out hulk and spend hours modifing front ends, engines, mounts and all kinds of changes to body panels to create the vision we have in our heads. But when it comes to the 1 worst job that adds the finishing touches to the project it it drives us to the level of maddness where we have to just walk away and sometimes never return. I'm ranting about installing the windlace rubbers around the doors. I tried a number of differant suggestions and through trial and error I have found that if you use Vasoline, an acid brush, small hammer and a 1" stiff puddy knife with the corners rounded and the edge ground flat and dull you can install these rubbers in about 45 minutes per side. First using the acid brush apply Vasoline to the inside of the steel retainer and to the back side of the rubber where the molded peice goes into the steel. Second push and hold the edge nearest the round part of the rubber into the channel, now using the specially prepated puddy knife apply pressure to the oppisite lip and roll it into the channel. third repete until all the rubber is in. Fourth trim at the bottom and insert into the lower retaining strips. Fifth using the small hammer tap lightly and flat all aroung the rubber to seat it into the channel and slightly close the channel to retain the rubber. I choose to use the Vasoline because it stays in place and stays wet and you don't have to deal with liquid soap running down the whole side of you truck or any other messy clean up.
Roddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
britnjc

Re: Vasoline-not just for Saturday nights!

i will have to try this next time... thanks
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
mknittle

Re: Vasoline-not just for Saturday nights!

the putty knife trick is what auto trimmers use to install headliners. some bend them to fit into tight spots.

Thanks

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote