The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Bigd426

Brake help

So im not sure what to search for, but i want a wilwood master cylinder ( looks cool) but not sure to run with or with out a booster. If with out a booster how does it mount to the firewall? What else am i missing? Ive read about pedal ratio but dont understand what bore size is for what? I would like no booster because it looks cleaner. Also my truck has a complete stock 1966 brake system, 4 wheel drum, singles master cylinder and no power/booster. Can i install the master cylinder and run drums for now then convert to disc later with the same wilwood M/C ?

Not sure if this should go here the suspension fourm
Bigd426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
brokenspoke

Re: Brake help

Looks cool doesent always work.....IMHO I wouldnt
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Just opinion but Start, Go, Stop, (properly) is the overall goal set.

Stop with drums and a single resevour master can be fine for daily driving on a well maintained and functional system but can leave you in a danger zone with the smallest leak.

For safety's sake and discounting looks as a least valid component of functionality and safety......

I'd recommend choosing at least drums and a manual dual drum master (with proper brake line split front/rear).

Better would be drums with a boosted dual drum master and split. I run this on my 400 mile per week daily driver 65 with emanate satisfaction....however, it does require brake adjustments and I accomplish these at the 7000 mile intervals i.e. every second oil change sees tire rotation and brake shoe inspection/adjustment. A 1967 C10/Impala master and dual drum drum (manual master/deep piston/reservoirs are equal in size) master cylinder works fine here with Captainfabs mounting bracket. Mods are minimal after the split and involve only adapting the booster rear rod to your brake pedal rod and a pedal ratio change.

Finally, best would be power disc/drum or power disc/disc and split.

There are numerous satisfactory components to choose from for functionality and safety but again, I'd place looks outside my top 5 decision criteria until I was sure of the system and performance goals I'm looking for.

Last edited by Sharps40; 05-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Bigd426

Wilwood is a top end brake company that also happens to look very nice. Im trying to find out what it takes to put one my truck. Stopping is very important not trying to take away from that at all, i want to improve it. At the same time i want it to look nice. Disc brakes are a must, driving in Dallas traffic is a beating in my '13 sierra already most of the time. I damn sure dont want plow my 66 into someones prius that cut me off. Drums suck, ive had cars with them and have had them adjusted properly but they are old technology. Disc brake perform better, period. I dont want to be misunderstood that looks are top of the list only, it is up there though. Custom cars can look amazing and perform as well, which to me is ideal. Form and function and a C10
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Okay. But drums are nearly as good as disc if ya understand them. If not discs are better for ya. New tech anit a gaurente of better but does usually let one get bywith less knowledge a d effort. Luck. And I agree in dallas go discs for the faster grab.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Improbcat

All Drum, Disc/Drum and All Disc systems all use different types of master cylinders which are not interchangeable. Using the wrong style can cause the brakes to drag, or not apply correctly and is a safety issue.

I would suggest using a simple dual-resivour MC for an all drum system for now, then upgrade to the Willwood unit when you upgrade to disc brakes.

EDIT: Here is an bit on converting to a dual-res MC. The MC is $20, so that and some lines should be a cheap upgrade until you go with your all new system.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
scottofksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
All Drum, Disc/Drum and All Disc systems all use different types of master cylinders which are not interchangeable. Using the wrong style can cause the brakes to drag, or not apply correctly and is a safety issue.
As I understand it, it's not so much that the masters are different as it is the prop valve... Someone correct me if I am wrong!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Woogeroo

check the archives, tech sections of the websites for the various old/custom/classic truck magazines...

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
As I understand it, it's not so much that the masters are different as it is the prop valve... Someone correct me if I am wrong!
That is a generally incorrect and incomplete understanding.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Bigd426

Drums do not dissipate heat like disc which cause brake fade. Which prob the 90% of the time they are fine, little longer stopping distance but work. I do not trust them though... Anyways, back to the question. So so far i have figured out i need to do my master and disc at the same time, cool. Now what does it take to mount said wilwood master cylinder? Just bolt right in? Does it need a spacer? I have searched this and dont really seen an answer unless im searching for the wrong thing.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Have ya tried askin wilwood bout yer app? They may know.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Improbcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
The chambers are often different sizes(disc systems need more fluid) and some drum m/c have a residual valve built into them to keep a small amount of pressure in the system so the shoes don't retract as far from the drum.

Disc/drum M/C

Drum/Drum M/C for the same vehicle.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Bigd426

Havent called them yet, they list an universal one it looks like. Which may be based of a GM bolt flange. I can find a bunch of people asking about them on here just figured someone would have pictures and such. Ill prob call wilwood in the morning
Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I spec the bulk of us are usin the less spensive factory parts. As such experience w/wilwood could be minimal.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Bigd426

Ive noticed is seems like the 60-66 guys build a little more simple looking trucks than some of the other years. Not a bad thing thats why i like them. Just looking for a little bit jazz under the hood
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
Sharps40
Account Suspended

We have square bodies cause were poorer than the goobers that ran the 67-72s thru da roof!
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Bigd426

Fact/\