The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Moog vs Parts Master

When I bought some ball joints I saw both names in the description.. What I got in the mail were Parts Master parts.. No where did I see the Moog name..

I know Moog using the name or term Problem Solver and I think I was confused on that part of the name..

Of course the parts came at a good cost, I just wonder about quality..

I have also read where Parts Master is made by Moog, its just their off brand.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Moog vs Parts Master

Anyone?

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I found this..

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...ts-master.html

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
cableguy0

Moog is USA made. Most others are not. Everything claims to be Moog off brand but all seem to be made in China. I use only Moog stuff other than getting OE parts.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
LEEVON

Parts Master is Moog's lesser product sold as O'Reilly's house brand line...also made in Indiana. It's cheaper for a reason, avoid it. we don't use it in my shop on customer cars.

I can get some more info from the factory rep if you want.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

THis is what I got from the ebay seller..

"The listing is for Parts Master ... They are the same"

Like you said, its not the same. Im returning these.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
bigd65

You can tell the difference in REAL MOOG parts and Cheapanese parts.... And for the record, all MOOG parts are not made in USA. I bought ball joints for my 99. Asked for MOOG, to the lowers said made in USA, the uppers said made in HECHO IN MEXICO..... DAMN SHAME
Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd65 View Post
You can tell the difference in REAL MOOG parts and Cheapanese parts.... And for the record, all MOOG parts are not made in USA. I bought ball joints for my 99. Asked for MOOG, to the lowers said made in USA, the uppers said made in HECHO IN MEXICO..... DAMN SHAME

Its starting to get ridiculous. I go through this at work everyday. Parts we have used for years that were USA made and help up great all of the sudden come stamped with a made in China/Mexico/Taiwan insert other third world dirt farm of a country here. Its very annoying and makes us look bad when the more expensive part we insisted on using due to previous experience fails and were stuck trying to explain ourselves.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
leddzepp

I used Parts Master on my truck. Made in USA and identical to Moog. If you are in doubt head to your local parts store and compare for yourself side by side. I drive my truck all the time, have for years now, and zero issues. I will buy them again without hesitation.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I think we are selling our ass to the foreigners one auto part at a time.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I would suggest skipping US Chinese parts stores all together and instead buy MOOG from rock auto.com- I've buy all of my USA made suspension parts from rock auto.

Imo if a parts store wants to stock $14 ball joints and make it a hassle to buy the same $45 MOOG ball joint, I'd just go to rock auto and buy the MOOG part for about $25.

Last edited by gmachinz; 05-13-2014 at 02:10 PM.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
SCOTI

Not C10 specific but related to Moog vs 'same as' aka house brand parts..... My buddy bought all 4 BJ's for his boys 70 ElCamino. I recommended Moog based on my preference. Moog products are within my budget but they weren't in his so he went w/house brand "for now" w/the intent of potentially replacing them w/something different/better (tubular arms etc....) down the line.

The lowers went in w/o a press & had prob .010" play. I took them & the lower arms back up to Oreilly's & asked to compare w/a Moog part. They had to be pressed in. So he sucked it up & went w/the upgraded lowers & was going to utilize the house brand uppers...... Until none of the BJ flange bolt holes aligned. Back to the store we went to compare vs. the Moog spec parts. The bolt holes all aligned for the Moog part.

I don't get where the reduced price 'house brand' parts can sell @ all w/problems like that. I told the guys @ the store someone needs to complain LOUDLY up the food chain.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I've worked in parts stores when I was a lot younger-most parts stores house brands are "built by the cheapest foreign manufacturer/parts" to maximize their own profit. To buy cheap quality parts is to dumb yourself down to allowing the store to make a bigger profit at the expense of quality/safety for your vehicle. That's not to say some US made parts may have an issue here or there, but when was the last time you seen a high quality or high performance Chinese part? You haven't because the dollar is more important than quality.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
I've worked in parts stores when I was a lot younger-most parts stores house brands are "built by the cheapest foreign manufacturer/parts" to maximize their own profit. To buy cheap quality parts is to dumb yourself down to allowing the store to make a bigger profit at the expense of quality/safety for your vehicle. That's not to say some US made parts may have an issue here or there, but when was the last time you seen a high quality or high performance Chinese part? You haven't because the dollar is more important than quality.
But they reduce their profits when an item (or in my buddys case, both items) that provides them their best profit margain doesn't fit to the point it cannot be used.

That's just not a good business model & I'm no whiz....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That's just not a good business model & I'm no whiz....
That makes 2 of us.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #16
Special-Ed

some manufacturers have skews of the same part for different outlets...

my example is leviton cat 5 network jacks

at graybar where i purchase them they are about a buck a peice more expensive

at home depot they sell what looks like the same exact product and part number with a different skew

the home depot ones are junk, use cheaper and less plastic and absolutely suck.

to the average person all the see is leviton cat 5 jacks... completely different product.

dont be fooled
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
bama63

$80.00 raybestos master cylinder = made in china,even the top brands are selling out to china.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Wow....that is indeed sad. You expect Chinese made parts to be cheap because of the parts origin-its a double whammy when the price is jacked way up on top of it-so if that's the case, I guess I'd rather purchase a wilwood master cylinder.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
Blue97

I had a Fabtech 7.5" lift and I went down to just a 4" spindle lift and I replaced EVERYTHING with Moog..... I bought everything from Rock auto.... The lower Moog B/J were a disappointment. I had the LCA off and had them pressed in, I put the truck back together and drove it 2 miles to the alignment shop.. At this point im feeling good about doing the work myself and saving me some money while using quality parts..

And then the alignment guy tells me we have a problem........ BOTH Lower Ball joints were junk, needless to say I did not believe him until he showed me and then I was just dumbfounded........... so at this point they replaced my lower Moog B/J's with another set of Moog at a cost of $450 since I was already on their rack.

So much for feeling good, and then ONE WEEK later I take it back and tell them to check the alignment. Truck didn't feel right to me...

They had to replace Both lower MOOG B/J because they were also JUNK!!!!

at that point I told them to install the oem replacement B/J's and they used the ( Edit- Master pro ) brand and its been great for the last year............

So its really frustrating when you think you are buying quality parts at a higher price and it turns out just the opposite..

Getting ready to drop my truck and replace everything again ( just because It makes me feel better ) But not to sure on what brand parts to go with.......

Sucks!!

Last edited by Blue97; 05-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Blue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I ended up installing the Parts Master B/J's.. I talked with a mechanic friend of mine and he said they would be fine to use.. He said, "Its a ball joint, its not rocket science." So with that vote of confidence, I installed them..

I will be heading to the alignment shop Saturday.

2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #21
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I went through that type of thing when I rebuilt my HEI distributor. I went through a lot of BW parts selecting only USA or Israel parts.....staying away from Chinese, Taiwan or Malaysian parts. I just try to keep my parts as high quality as I can....but it can get tuff.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
I ended up installing the Parts Master B/J's.. I talked with a mechanic friend of mine and he said they would be fine to use.. He said, "Its a ball joint, its not rocket science." So with that vote of confidence, I installed them..

I will be heading to the alignment shop Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
My buddy bought all 4 BJ's for his boys 70 ElCamino. I recommended Moog based on my preference. Moog products are within my budget but they weren't in his so he went w/house brand "for now" w/the intent of potentially replacing them w/something different/better (tubular arms etc....) down the line.

The lowers went in w/o a press & had prob .010" play. I took them & the lower arms back up to Oreilly's & asked to compare w/a Moog part. They had to be pressed in. So he sucked it up & went w/the upgraded lowers & was going to utilize the house brand uppers...... Until none of the BJ flange bolt holes aligned. Back to the store we went to compare vs. the Moog spec parts. The bolt holes all aligned for the Moog part.
Does your mechanic friend think that when the upper BJ holes don't align forcing him to drill the holes out larger than they should be to compensate or when he has to weld the lower BJ's in place? Not sure how many times it takes doing things twice or waiting for different parts to validate things before faith is lost....

It may not be rocket science but there is a difference. I would prefer parts that fit/work like an OEM part (and I bet you & your mechanic friends loved-ones/family would too).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I know to some price is everything but....

Is it worth the extra effort/cost to install a part that will a) last longer and b) fit properly?

I say a resounding HECK YES!

tell me the cost difference of the two? $10 each? is it worth that price to do it once and only once?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
Blue97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I know to some price is everything but....

Is it worth the extra effort/cost to install a part that will a) last longer and b) fit properly?

I say a resounding HECK YES!

tell me the cost difference of the two? $10 each? is it worth that price to do it once and only once?
Unfortunately ( for my wallet ) I was on the same page as you... Bought quality parts only to have them replaced and get reemed an additional $450 doing so and then having the "quality" parts replaced ( one week later ) with cheap oem parts that have lasted a year now with no problems..

I was a whole hearted believer in name brand QUALITY parts...... but does that still exist now like it did 20 years ago?

its a hit and miss and it really bums me out especially when I buys parts made in usa and they don't last as long as the cheap crap

Just posting my own experience and opinion that's all.
Blue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #25
whitedog76

I can't speak for the "Parts Master" line, but I've used the Raybestos Service Grade parts. They are really good quality items. Plus they are 1/3 of the price of the Professional Grade or Moog products. I can't really see any quality difference in them. The only difference I can see is in the warranty. The Proffesional grade stuff is lifetime and the service grade is only a year.

I've had great luck with them.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote