The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
olred68

Drop Springs?

I have all the stuff from a 71 the change my 68 to disc brakes the question is should I buy drop spindles or could I just use drop springs in the front? I would use a 3" spring with the 71 parts. Or is there a benefit to have drop spindles? Thanks Brandon
Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
GMCPaul

Re: Drop Springs?

Quite often with a 3" drop spring it will require the use of off-set upper ball joints to get your alingment within specs at $100-$150.00 per ball joint, they will also cause the spring to be loose between the upper & lower a-arm if you jack the truck up anywhere other than under the lower a-arm, by jacking under the lower a-arm it keeps the spring in the pocket of the a-arms due to the tension still on it, jacking under the frame allows the spring to freely move between the a-arms while raised so you'll want to check them and have them positioned correctly when you lower the truck back down ( this is not a problem with 1" or 2" front drop springs), using springs for lowering in front also causes the truck to become more prone to bump steer. 3' front springs will require either shorter shocks or a front shock relocator. Using a drop spindle you do not have any of these problems.
GMCPaul Jr
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
68Stepbed

Re: Drop Springs?

I would use 2.5" drop spindles with stock springs. It's much easier to do now than to go back later and do it. The ride is probably much better with spindles than with new drop springs. I've heard there's alignment issues with 3" springs

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote