The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
BearCustom10

Exclamation 1972 Chevy Custom 10 Turn signals

Hey guys, on my truck the turn signals did not work when I purchased it, so I replaced the turn signal switch and they still don't work but the flashers work just fine, before I put the switch in a couple wires crossed and both fronts would flash when the switch was on, so I don't know if this is a ground problem or not so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
BearCustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
chevytruckguy70

Re: 1972 Chevy Custom 10 Turn signals

Can you explain the problem a little more? Meaning when you turn the left side on does the lights light up but not flash? It sounds like that when you miswired it you had both fronts wired as though they were one side and both rear as the other. If this is the case and the front lights blinked, then the flasher and front lights (and wires) should be fine. The issue may be in the rear somewhere. Grounds are always the first thing to check in any vehicle. The turn signals work by causing a relay (flasher) to heat up and its contacts open from high current when both the front and rear lamps are lit. Once the relay opens the contact the current stops and the relay cools off, closing the contacts and turning the lights on again. Since the front lights blinked that tells me the flasher is working correctly.

Here are a few things to check:

1 If you have a test light or volt meter, find a good ground back by your light. Then remove your rear lamps and turn your switch on. Use your test light to see if 12v is getting to that light in the rear by touching the center tap in the light socket. Try not to touch the sides at the same time or you'll be seeing fireworks. If you are getting 12 volts that way your light socket probably has lost its ground due to rust or corrosion.

2. If you do not get 12v then I would start tracing your wires back from your rear lamps and look for a break in the line. The wires behind the rear bumper take a beating over the years. Hopefully the issue is there and easily accessible.

2007 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
1970 Chevy K20 (SOLD)
1972 Chevy C15 (1/2 C10, 1/2 c20)
1970 Chevy C10 (parting out)
chevytruckguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
northerngmc

I would suggest making sure that you have ground straps in place. I had a 69 GMC I was working on and getting all sorts of weird things happening. Someone on here suggested to me that I make sure I have ground straps in place. I crawled underneath and some of them were broken, some were missing and things worked a lot better after I had suffecient grounding.

Here is a post from the FAQ section showing were they are supposed to be located. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=ground

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
BearCustom10

They don't work at all, the drivers side front will sometimes just illuminate but nothing else
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
BearCustom10

Checked for voltage, none so traced wires back from lights and they appear to be okay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
BearCustom10

Also, I checked for power behind the fusebox at the purple wire that runs to the flasher, and the test light was dim, I don't know if that makes any difference or not
Posted via Mobile Device