The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
weedoublewide

Here she is...no name yet..

Finally, ones mine!
Actually I've had her for a few months, just been really busy with school i haven't had much time to get on and post the photos.

Here is some pictures of it being loaded on the truck, the engine (yes that a lawnmower air filter that was being used). At some point there was a blower looking aftermarket thingy that was installed on top of the carb.. ill post it in the next set of photos.

A quick run down on how we met. To put it into perspective it was basicly a blind date. I saw it on craigslist and fell in love with it, I looked at the photos, called the dude, he sent me more photos and more. I was in Pa and it was in West Texas, so i took a leap of faith and just sent the money to him. He got the money, sent me the title and i arranged for it to be picked up. Two weeks later its at the shop waiting to be loved.

The truck is being loaded from a few didnt views, doesnt look half bad besides the missing mirror thats in a box. ( I posted earlier about fixing it or finding a gasket). My dad ended up recommending that I use some weather proof sealant, 8 sixteenth inch washers, two stacked together then JB welded. then put them on the four courners of the mirror, then JB welded them to the mirror., then sealed it with the sealant...almost done, looks pretty good. Who would have thought old pops would know something..whattt...lol

Thats a engine lawnmower air filter on the carb...i had a friend come out and help me get the engine running better so i could one awesome one peel squeel. He showed me some other things that were wrong...ill talk about those in the other post.

Inside looks clean, or looked clean until i got down into the nasty hidden spots for rust and gunk to be butt heads.
For a truck that never left west texas, it sure had alot of signs of spending a few winters up in the rust belt. So much for rust free.
As i got to looking, it was from years and years and years of dirt accumulation. 40 years and more worth. Ill post pictures. Looks like im going to learn to do some body work.
BRING IT!
who knows how to weld....? lol

Anyways, looks good, nothing hard work and time and TLC cant fix.
Attached Images

weedoublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
weedoublewide

Re: Here she is...no name yet..

These are pictures of the underneath of the truck when i was washing it to find out where the oil pan leak was coming from to see if i needed to pull the engine or i could get by without it...needless to say i havent really drove it much because i still need to pull the engine.

But those are the cab corners and rockers and floor panel corners that need to be replaced from the west texas dirt....

Ill post my mirror project when its finished but thats all for now....

Thanks everyone whose helped me the last year or so answering my Q's..ill have more i promise!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
weedoublewide

well its not uploading..ill try again soon
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
54blackhornet

Welcome to the fan club ! 68 ? Love the GMC's, they're lately receiving the respect they deserve. Looks like original gold 68 1500 GMC' I had a while back, pretty basic stock truck, yours has the upgrade stainless grill, mine was painted. Looks like a air cleaner on front seat, sorry to hear about the rust issue.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
12secondnova

Looks like a straight truck congrats. Id take some graffiti remover to the primer and see if the original gold is still underneath. If you don't like how it looks you can always just re primer it and be back where you started no harm done. Whats your future plans for it?
12secondnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
MagmaJct

I love a good stock truck (as parts are available!). Even considering, that ugly air filter has got to go!

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #7
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Talking Re: Here she is...no name yet..

hope your "blind date" ends up better than mine did ---- 10 years later it cost me a divorce!!!!!! thats when i decided to stick with 67-72 trucks and pit bulls, they like me and are easy to maintain-usually.
good luck with your new truck, looks like a good one.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Welcome to the fan club ! 68 ? Love the GMC's, they're lately receiving the respect they deserve. Looks like original gold 68 1500 GMC' I had a while back, pretty basic stock truck, yours has the upgrade stainless grill, mine was painted. Looks like a air cleaner on front seat, sorry to hear about the rust issue.
Thank you! The rust find was really disappointing, unexpected find but you cant win them all lol.
But I've attached the SPID....maybe it is a 68...i was under the impression it was a 70...learn something new everyday.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12secondnova View Post
Looks like a straight truck congrats. Id take some graffiti remover to the primer and see if the original gold is still underneath. If you don't like how it looks you can always just re primer it and be back where you started no harm done. Whats your future plans for it?
That's the plan, As i was cleaning the underneath i found some spots of bondo from some of the rust spots on the under fender. So i want to take the primer off and see where band-aides were applied, per say. That way I can evaluate the damage...

But if it looks cool with the primer/gold look going then might have to stay.

I wanted to make it to where i could drive it regularly, but once i got my Subaru from a truck, traded on economic reasons, im really growing accustom to the 100 dollars a month in gas to travel 1200 miles, commute to school and back. So that made me think it will be my weekend warrior and sometimes weekday appearance.

So with that being said im going to work on getting the rust fixed, upgrade to disc brakes, give her more power.

Biggest obstacle im having right now is how to get the truck to not look like it skips leg day.....i posted in projects and haven't had anyone respond yet...is it as simple as just going up a size in rims and a beefer tire or something else have to be done as well...

Here's the link for a comparison of mine vs. the stance i like
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=724962
Old 12-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
hope your "blind date" ends up better than mine did ---- 10 years later it cost me a divorce!!!!!! thats when i decided to stick with 67-72 trucks and pit bulls, they like me and are easy to maintain-usually.
good luck with your new truck, looks like a good one.
Thank you!
Sucks that it happened....dogs and trucks make life so much easier...and they dont drain you of life and money in the process either!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
I love a good stock truck (as parts are available!). Even considering, that ugly air filter has got to go!

That is true...theres so many sites out there for some good resto parts..Now that schools done for the semester i can spend some quality time in the shop between work.

I had a buddy come up from Huntsville and help me figure out what needs to be done to get teh truck running right. Because when i drove it i couldn't figure out what was the issue.

So we pulled it in the shop and he popped the hood and goes ahaha whats the a beefed up lawn mower...I never put one and one together.

Then we were trying to tune up the carb and we werent getting any vacuum on either side of the intake..so we take off the carb and come to find out, the wrong gasket was being used...

Im going to go on a limb and say that this aftermarket blower and throttle body spacer were on it before and that gasket is for the spacer...not the carb..i attached a photo of it in the box..

Pretty nuts i tell you
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
54blackhornet

That black pipe in box is your air cleaner heat pipe to exhaust manifold.