The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

how much do you pay for a brk job.

i know most of you just do your own breaks. i rather have it done by a shop. i like the warrentee, and sence i trust this shop, i know the job is done right. if i do it i know i dont do all the steps you are suposed to do, like measuring the roters!

anyway, for those of you like me, how much did you pay for a compleat break job. front disk and rear drums. i also am having the wheel barrings repacked, replacing all the seals, and all new hard wear on the rear.

im shocked by the price of the rear wheel cyclenders. they are the heavy dudy 3/4 ton ones.. the best this guy has found is $90 a piece! geez! usualy they are like 25 bucks.

anyway im looking at almost 500 for all the work with taxes. seems a bit steep but that extra 180 buck for the cycls are driving it up. i was thinking it would be 300 or do so i guess im right about there..
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
68 Suburban

Try $31 for the cylinders. It might be worth it to try to do it yourself.

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectPa...Wheel+Cylinder
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I bought new pads, calipers, rear drums, shoes, adjuster kits, spring kits and cylinders all for $160.00 at American Auto Parts store. This was all Raybestos stuff with the best pads and riveted shoes. I put it all on myself in a couple hours. Hope this helps. Wheel cylinders are not $90 a piece!! Whew!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i think those are the standard 3/4 ton. there is a heavy duty version i guess. and ofcourse things are cheaper if you order them online. ill never do my own brakes again
Old 01-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
EJ

Autozone has them for 26.99 each. AutoZone
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I didn't order mine on-line. Went to my local parts store, American Auto is just much cheaper than Oriely or Auto Zone in my area. I understand about having the piece of mind with someone else doing the work for you, but I would take them the parts and just pay for labor.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #7
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

ya, you guys are right, that parts store was trying to screw me. i printed off several pages show the price of the heavy wheel cyl none were over 36 bucks. i gave it to the guy doing the work. (he is really cool and honest). he called the parts store and chewed thier ass. they dropped the price to 45. still high but better than the 75 they wanted before. greedy bastards!

still cost me 500 buck though. i can tell they make most their money on parts. next time i will buy all the parts and bring them for the shop to put in. prob would have only cost 300 that way. oh well, at least its all new, life time warrenty and they did lots of extra stuff. so i guess im happy.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #8
cableguy0

dave usually if u buy ur own parts u dont get a warranty on the work. i know thats how its been every shop i've ever worked for.just like anything else its a business.there is a markup on parts and labor usually isnt cheap. b4 u go ahead and buy the parts next time i would talk to the guy u deal with and see if ti will be covered under a warranty.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:05 PM   #9
ILUVJUNK

If a shop didnt mark up their parts by at least 50 percent they would soon go out of business. A shop can not survive on labor only. The cost of good technicians is on the rise as it should be, but at the same time the labor rate for shops cant be out of line. They have to make up for equipment too, like 48 thousand dollar alignment machines and 4 thousand dollar lifts and thousands every year on shop writters and mitchel on demand or aldata. There is a huge amount of overhead for todays shops. I know in my shop I would not install customer parts unless my techs were starving, and even then I would not give a warranty of any kind. If you are unsure of the price of a service, call at least two other shops in the area and get quotes, but make sure they are quoting you for the exact same stuff, and make sure they at least have a 12/12 warranty on parts and labor. Just my 2 or 3 cents worth.