The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

TO lower or not to lower, it's a matter of opinion!

I often wonder why many people spend thousands lowering their truck. I love my truck just like it is, I like how she sits high and looks tough. I'm just curious if I'm old fashioned, for a 23 yr old. I don't mean to upset the "slammed" guys, but I'm curious as to why so many people do it. Is it because its whats "in" and all the magazine trucks do it? GM trucks with the coil spring suspensions ride as well as a new truck when rebuilt. If you slammed guys could answer a few Q's that would be great! I think most lowered trucks are now "bagged," does that mean they can be raised to a normal drive height? Doesn't lowering a truck affect the camber angle on the A-arms and create excessive tire wear? Does the ride improve with lowering? It seems to me that it would be stiffer due to limited suspension travel. Do you have problems with "scuffing" on bumps? My Camaro sure has that problem! Are lowered trucks true daily drivers, or are most just show queens?? Can you haul any kind of a load with a lowered truck...other than a cooler? And lastly, how much does it cost to "do it right" Also, I'm from SC and I haven't ever seen a lowered truck driving on the road here, I've seen a lot of originals running around and some nice restorations. Just wondering how pracitical lowering really is!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
ChevyDude

Any body who lowers a truck realizes that you won't be hauling any loads, no more than you would be hauling loads in your Camaro. The lowering of a truck IMO is for the look and for the handling. A lower truck will drive and handle corners much better than at stock height. It's all what you want in "YOUR" truck. You could also ask "Why would you Lift a truck"??? Well people do it because it's "Their" truck and they want to build it the way "THEY" want. Personally I like these trucks at all STANCES. For me my 2wd is lowered 4.5" in the front and 4" in the back....by all means it is not Slammed but it does have a very aggressive stance. Does it look stock...absolutely not, and that's what I wanted. My K-10 will be lifted 4" when I get to restoring the K-10. So I really think it is what each owner wants out of their own truck. If you like the stock height, then keep it that way. Just my opinon.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 12-03-2004 at 12:09 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you can lower a truck and maintain the load capacity, but you can't just go blindly doing things, you have to reaserch things and find what works and what doesn't.
With bags, you figure what your normal cruise height is going to be, and you set your front end toe/camber accordingly. Then, at the cruise in, you let the air out, and have the slammed look you want.
I like a some what lowered truck, maybe a 3 or 4 in front, and a 2 or 3 in back...I like the old hot rod stance with some nose down @ss up look.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
sactoC10
71 DELUX

extremes and opinions

Parked right outside the window of my office right now is a blue GMC, similar to the one pictured in your avatar. It is a nice truck, looks cool as-is.

Yet my personal preference for a project vehicle, or even my daily driver is something lowered and sporty looking. I think I prefer a lowered look as it reminds me of stock cars, pro mod cars and racing cars in general. And as far as expense goes, I have never spent nor will I ever spend thousands of dollars to drop a vehicle.

AND I have always kept any of my lowered vehicles functional.

My lowered trucks have all maintained their useability, whether is be carrying my motorcycle or helping someone move. My lowered cars have never been bagged nor have their tires ever rubbed anything anywhere.

I think that many of the slammed trucks you see are simply people trying to scrape the ground simply for the sake of saying they can do it, or the need to be creative in a gravity favoring sort of way as opposed to the sky-high lifted sort of way.

I have respect for all tastes and preferences. We all have different likes and dislikes and GOD FORBID we all like the exact same thing, or this would be one boring interest. Know what I mean?

In the spirit of Santa Claus, I say MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL and to all a good year of truck building, driving and playing in 2005!
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
Just wondering how pracitical lowering really is!
We don't do it to be practical. I have a work truck, my hobby is hotrodding so I decided to slam a 70 stepside and drop a ZZ-3 under the hood. What's so hard to understand? (trust me, there's nothing practical about the ZZ-3 either)
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I lowered my 69 2.5/3. I didn't want it too low, but I did want better handling and the look of it being just a tad lower.

I did my at the same time as my disc brake conversion, so I was better able to justify the cost. By sticking with the stock springs up front I was able to help hold the cost down.

Handling is far superior to what one of these trucks drove like brand new. I have an access ramp that I use for a high speed corning test. I could go around it at 85 mph in my Bonneville, a vehicle that loves high speed corners. My 69 would be on the edge at 65, since the conversion she will hold the curve at 80 with ease.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
raggedjim

I got into trucks because muscle cars were getting expensive, I like hot rods and my truck is a hot rod and lots cheeper than a 69 Camaro... and almost as fast!

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I dont care to much about handling, I'm to old to slam it in to the corners. I just like the look of them lowered. I hate seeing the frames and gap in the wheel wells. But the late models dont look as good as the old timers when they're slammed. Some late model series look better stock or a little lifted. Worse is the newer GM wheel wells, that butt ugly wedge looking cluster f*** and all that gray plastic panels....

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis
I dont care to much about handling, I'm to old to slam it in to the corners. I just like the look of them lowered. I hate seeing the frames and gap in the wheel wells. But the late models dont look as good as the old timers when they're slammed. Some late model series look better stock or a little lifted. Worse is the newer GM wheel wells, that butt ugly wedge looking cluster f*** and all that gray plastic panels....
I think this man hit the nail on the head.

I'm only 25 and the first time i gave these old trucks a second look was when i saw one in the movie Dazed And Confused. I thought to myself .... thats a good looking truck and i sought out more info on it. After seeing many others i didnt think they looked nearly as cool because the first one i ever saw was lowered and looked tough were as stock height old trucks look like they should be left rusted and on a farm somewhere until someone can make a project out of them.

I personally think that the newer trucks look stupid dropped. As the guy i quoted mentioned .... wheel well gap is ugly and theres no avoiding it with the new trucks so i prefer a stock height or even a lifted look on late model trucks but on these old babies i like them low to the ground and FAST.

I bought my 67 swb to make a hotrod out of it. Ive seen just about everything you can do to one of these old trucks and the lowered look with some serous hp behind it still gets me excited everytime i see one.

I havent decided if i am going to bag or static drop my truck yet but i also share some of your thoughts on bagged trucks. Guys who want to lay frame are as much a mystery too me as the guys who turn their trucks into monster trucks.

I just want my tires to sit at fender height and have a low enough prfile on them so that it doesnt feel like i trying to steer a boat yet retain enough sidewall so that i dont feel every pebal in the road.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
Alvin
Never Done?

Quote:
Is it because its whats "in" and all the magazine trucks do it?
Quote:
I haven't ever seen a lowered truck driving on the road here
That's the very reason I am bagging my truck. I have gone to a lot of car shows around my area, and have never seen an air bagged 67-72. Usually I'm lucky if there's anything other than resto's (stock is cool too, just no variety around here). So sure, the magazines might be saturated with 'em, and you might see a bunch on the board here. But, I have only seen a few. So, in my neighborhood at least, my truck will still be different. It's also the reason I won't lower my S10 and put clear taillights on it, because every S10 owner under the age of 30 has already done it, and you see it every day. I like driving something unique. If someone can't tell at a glance that it's my truck, it's not unique enough. Practical? No. Daily driver? No. Fun project? Hell yeah!

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #11
crews
It just doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude
Any body who lowers a truck realizes that you won't be hauling any loads, no more than you would be hauling loads in your Camaro. The lowering of a truck IMO is for the look and for the handling. A lower truck will drive and handle corners much better than at stock height. It's all what you want in "YOUR" truck. You could also ask "Why would you Lift a truck"??? Well people do it because it's "Their" truck and they want to build it the way "THEY" want. Personally I like these trucks at all STANCES. For me my 2wd is lowered 4.5" in the front and 4" in the back....by all means it is not Slammed but it does have a very aggressive stance. Does it look stock...absolutely not, and that's what I wanted. My K-10 will be lifted 4" when I get to restoring the K-10. So I really think it is what each owner wants out of their own truck. If you like the stock height, then keep it that way. Just my opinon.

I beg to differ...You CAN lower a truck and keep ALL of it's intended towing capacity. It is all in how you do it. You can't go full bore without doing some research. My 94 Crew Cab dually was lowered and there wasn't ANYTHING it wouldn't tow, and tow WELL. I also hauled a couple of tons of rock in this truck. NO PROBLEM. You CAN build your trucks to use....

I build my trucks to be the best of both worlds- work and play. I don't like the looks of a stock truck, because everyone can have a stock truck.

When I lower mine, it makes it MINE. Personal decision, yes; impractical? NO!

Just my 2 cents worth.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!

Last edited by crews; 12-03-2004 at 10:51 PM.
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:58 PM   #12
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I have an off road Truck, it hauls my 4 horse trailer very well, It hauls the Biuke trailers, and the boat..
I didn't want my truck to haul or Tow anything. what i did want was My truck and for it to be a little different then the neighbors. These trucks are far from being rare or collectibles, Everytime I drive down the road I see a few.

As far as getting one of these trucks to ride as smooth and quiet, as a new one, You're going to put one heck of a lot of work into it.

But I lowered mine just because I like the looks. It lowers the center of gravity and makes it handle and ride better.and how stiff it rides depends on how it's done.
I lowered mine 4" front and 6" rear.. I haven't driven it on the road still... But I may remove the front lowering springs and go back stock which will leave me with a 2-1/2" lowered spindles, and Then I'll raise the rear to match the front. We'll see...

If you want practitality, then leave HotRods alone all together.. But if you like individualism, then do what you want and stand out ( or down) in the crowd...

As you typed. It's all personal preference.

Sometimes I sit back and wonder Why I'm spending so much money on something that just takes you up and down the road in the first place...

Then I see something else I want to put on it..... :p
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I think these guys have said just about everything that could be said to prove that a lowered truck, when done correctly is just a functional as a stock one.

I could go on for hours about the pro's and con's but I won't. I'll simply say if you look at a properly lowered truck and it doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then you just don't get it. In other words if you have to ask why, then you wouldn't understand if I told you....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:01 AM   #14
hotrodtroy

I have had mostly trucks since I started driving. It's just the practical choice for me. I have only ever had 1 4x4 in twenty years. They have all (except the 4x4) been lowered. For me it's less bulk up in the air thus reducing drag, and the handling can't be beat. I still carry my tools or my kids in comfort. Snow hasn't even been a problem. Just my $ .02

HAPPY RODDING

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:26 AM   #15
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

When I build a truck.......I want to put it in the weeds..The right stance, tire and wheel combo gives the truck attitude. I'm gonna start ripping apart a very clean 4wd 72 Blazer, toss all of the 4wd stuff and turn it into a 2wd. I'm using a Fatman power front rack suspension system, four link in the back and bags on all corners. This should definately give me the look I'm after.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #16
GMC AMI

How about slammed is for a street truck and lifted for a woods trail truck. It would be funny to see a slammed stuck on a 3 inch high stump. Keep the streets, 4x4s are more fun!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #17
johnje

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
I often wonder why many people spend thousands lowering their truck.
I'm lowering mine for practical reasons. At 5'6", I have a very difficult time loading motorcycles into my other trucks. The GMC's purpose will be to haul my bikes around without having to use the race trailer.

In addition, the parking garage at work has a pretty low ceiling. If I put a bike into the back of my other trucks, I'd destory the bike upon entering the garage. (I can't drive my M37 into the garage without folding the windshield down.)

John
johnje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:53 PM   #18
inline6Bill
A classic GM kinda guy

Most of my earlier trucks of this vintage sat on the stock suspension, but after riding in a friend's '69 short stepside that had a 2.5/4" drop and 235/70 15's, I will be doing the same thing to my next project. That truck handled better than any street machine that I ever drove, and could still haul a decent load. And, to top it all off, the truck looked right to me, with the tire to fender lines looking great.

"If you can find a better vehicle, buy it" Lee Iacocca, Chrysler commercials of the '80s.
"I did. They are called Classic GM pickups !!!"
inline6Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #19
Staceydude

Wow,

This turned out to be a pretty decent thread.

My opinion on the whole deal about lowering a truck or keeping it stock height really goes along with how I feel about any customized car or truck.

I think more than anything I appreciate the work that goes into any project someone undertakes. Whether they hotrod the motor or slam the suspension... It takes alot of effort and money most of the time and regardless of whether or not I like the brand or if I like the look of the vehicle I can normally always appreciate it.

Basically I keep an open mind....

Now, I have just gotten started on my project 67 build and it will be lowered some when I am done. I have had far to many 4X4s in my life and I am more than ready for a change.

To each his own.

Regards,

Stace
Staceydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #20
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I think it depends on the truck. I plan to use mine for work purposes, so there will be no drop on it. It also has truck tires on it, so I think that would really look stupid. I would lift a 4x4 though. I'd probably do a 4/6 drop on a truck that was intended as a street machine.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

WOW! Thanks for all the great responses. I enjoyed reading them all. Thats what makes this board and these trucks so great!!!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #22
Gary

Well I lowered mine using front and rear lowering springs (leaf rear) and I should have pretty much the same load hauling as before (from what I've read). At the same time I had sway bars installed up front, for me it was all about cornering and handling, once in a blue moon I'll "haul" something and then what I haul won't be measured in tons, it'll be pounds (goats, goat feed, a bit of lumber, some sod, etc) ok maybe some of it might hit a half ton maybe. So I don't need 2800 pounds of towing cargo capacity or whatever.

You can flip flop the question to why do some dudes lift their trucks 8 inches when the worst "off road" they'll ever see is their driveway after a washing rain.

If I were going to use my truck to do construction 8 hours a day (like my dad does) I'd probably kick my own butt for lowering it He has to drive onto unfinished lawns, rutted over driveways-to-be etc all the time and my truck would likely bottom out in some of the situations he finds himself in regularly. My truck has to make it into my driveway (paved) and into Lowe's or Winn Dixie from time to time (also paved) I could lower it more except THEN I'd think it was silly too
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 AM   #23
Peregrine

I personally think they just look bad ass. But here's the full opinion. 66-72 trucks look good lowered, 73 to 79 stock and 80 on lifted. I thinkk those are the propper style changes, I am probably wrong though. My dad pointed out something I never noticed. Trucks newer than 72 have square wells. No matter hoqw much you lower it, you can't get rid of that gap. I'm into lowering mine because I think it looks cool, buit the handling outcome is the main factor. It has cut springs right now (doh!) but I'm doin it the right way over winter. I really don't want to be driving around in snow with the belts showing. It handles ok now, but I can't wait to put a ECE 4.5 drop n the front with new ball joints and maybe a sway bar. Mmmmmm

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #24
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Trucks newer than 72 have square wells. No matter hoqw much you lower it, you can't get rid of that gap....
I really don't want to be driving around in snow with the belts showing....
i feel the same way, i got a 68 that i am lowering, and i want a 73 blazer to lift, maybe some 37" TSL Boggers........mmmmm dreams, about those belts thats like added traction right, people go out and buy cables and yours are already out

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #25
Peregrine

Wow, now that you said that, my truck must be like, 10 times safer. Woo hoo! For some reason my fingers refuse to follow instructions when I'm on the board, please forgive me. BF Goodrich is getting a new customer soon though. Radial T/A's...here I come.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-08-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote