The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
1969k10stepside

Talking Solid Front Axle Steering Arm Removal Tips

Ok,one of the most common questions asked is:How do I remove my steering arm on my solid front axle truck?
Removing the steering arm is very common to do when installing a lift kit (to replace with a raised steering arm) on your solid front axle truck.It's not easy to do,but if you want your steering correct then you better do this.Sometimes they come off easy,other times you may spend a afternoon trying to remove it.
The following tips have been gathered by various members and the tips have been put into one thread and made sticky to help anyone having trouble removing the steering arm from their truck, and the members who supplied these tips are credited below.I hope the following tips will help everyone in the removal of the steering arm on their trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
The cone washer can be removed with a large socket and a big hammer. The socket must be a larger diameter than the cone washer. Place the socket against the steering arm(on the top) with it surrounding one of the washers. Smack down with the hammer against the socket. The impact will shock or vibrate the washer and cause it to pop out. You don't need a torch or even penetrating oil (although I am sure that the oil won't hinder the operation). Don't hit the arm from the bottom trying to knock the washers out this will only make it tighter. It's the same principle as using two hammers to remove a steering wheel. You remove the wheel retaining nut from the column and place a hammer against the shaft. Strike the first hammer with another big hammer. The steering wheel will fall off in your lap! Best of luck to you and feel free to ignore me like everyone else . I don't claim to know everything but I do have experience with this operation. Big socket, big hammer the steering arm should be on the ground in short order. Heck it worked for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrider
1. Lube them up with WD-40 or something like it and let it sit for a few min.
2. Smack with a 3lb hammer a couple of time each side of the casing that holds the 3 studs (easy to do when the axle is out from under the truck)
3. If your axle is out of the truck rotate the axle upside down and smack it a few times on the bottom side. Watch and see if the cones fall out.
4. You should see those cone shaped spacers pop loose.
4. Insert a small flat tip screwdriver into the slots [not to far or you will spread the cone spacer making it tighter] and try to spin them out. Either direction is ok, they are not threaded.
5. Once all 3 cones are removed the whole assy should come off of the axle. ... If not give it a couple more hits w/ a hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCHEV4X4
I just changed mine last night. I soaked it with PB blaster and then took a 1" impact socket and with the nuts removed, put it over the stud so it sits flat on the arm, and hit it with a big f hammer a couple times. Then hit up and down on the arm. Repeat. Repeat. It came loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross
I did the blaster, torch and BFH method on one of mine... nothing worked. So I took a thin drill bit to the top of the cones (they wouldn't screw out either) and drilled a little material away from the cones. Came right off then. Don't go deeper than 1/8" though or your studs will be ruined too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1970
Hit it hard with a big hammer. You want to hit on the side of the arm near where the holes where the studs/cones come through. What you are trying to do is to hit it hard enough to (temporarily) deform the holes in the arm a little bit so that the cone washers will loosen up and come out. You will never get it off by hitting down on it, or up on the free end of the arm. You need a sledge hammer. This same technique is used to get the tapered fit tie rod ends and drag link ends apart. I can get them off in five minutes guaranteed this way.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 05-29-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Made sticky
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote