The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
ryanmcb

spring sag? Questions about springs and tires

So I think one of my front springs is sagging. the Drivers side sits lower than the passenger. What suggestions would you guys give. (the pic is a bit exaggerated because my drive way slopes that way slightly but it is still noticeable)
My thoughts
1. Buy new original springs
2. have current springs re-arched at my local spring shop
3. Lift it slightly to put a slightly bigger tire. (I was considering skyjackers 2.5 lift)

If I do any of these options the rear will sit lower since it already does sit about 1 inch lower. Should I put new springs in the rear or add a small block to level?

Last question. With any of these options can I run a 285/75/16 tire on an 8 inch wide wheel? I want a mud terrain and most of the manufactures say they are about 33 inch in true height.
Attached Images

ryanmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
crashz

Re: spring sag? Questions about springs and tires

Looks like the DS may have a broken leaf. Thats a good lean, verified by the bumper/axle misalignment. Check the rear leaf packs as well.

You're best bet would be a new set of springs, bushings and shocks. A 2.5 inch lift would give you plenty of clearance for the bigger tires and would look nice too. Never been a fan of re-arching old springs.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Ski-me

These springs have just about reached their life at this age. I replaced my rear's with new factory type springs and it made a world of difference! I still have a 2" lift with blocks in the back but man did the new springs help! Up front I got new BDS softride shocks at 2.5". It was still slightly more firm up front so I removed one of the springs. The truck now sits level and rides great (given the short wheelbase).

First order would be replacing the front springs. Re-arching doesn't seem like a good solution to me. If you lift, Rough Country has been considered "Rough Riding" so I'd steer away from that brand. Tough Country seems to get better ride reviews.

Then either get rear springs with blocks or 2.5" lift springs. When you consider that your bushings are already shot too, new springs look more attractive as well.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
ryanmcb

thanks for the suggestions. Rear spring pack looks fine.

I will just replace the springs and eliminate a few problems. I just need to decide If I want to lift it now. I will start looking into lifts. I appreciate the direction. I really don't want it to ride rougher. This Suburban is 3/4 ton and already has a stiff ride.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
ryanmcb

Just looking at the Tuff Country lifts. It list 73-87 and 88-91 as being different. However, the 88-91 only lists 1/2 ton. My Suburban is a 88 3/4 ton so It doesn't fit into either of these categories.
Does anyone have experience with this. Am I okay to go with the 87?