The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 AM   #1
wareagle

Newbie Needs Help

Hi everyone,
New guy here, just thought I'd say that you guys have a wealth of information going on here and lots of great pics. I've inherited my grandads 75 lwb 350. It hasnt ran in a while but she'll crank and run pretty decent for a bit. Problem is, when you hit the throttle it wants to choke out, especially right when I first start moving. When it gets up to speed it's a little better. Also, to be able to start it, i have to put it down between reverse and neutral (automatic), then wiggle the shifter to get it to start. I dont know much at all about working on vehicles, but I am very eager to learn. If anyone could help me out it'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any good books or sites that I could get into let me know. I'm really excited about getting the ol' girl back running again, and would love to restore it in honor of my grandad. Thanks in advance for all the help---
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
SanitysBane

first off, get a helms shop manual, you can get them from the helms website or ebay, the book doesn't have to be your exact year, im using one for an 84 on my 93, everything is just peachy in everything that i've needed to know from the book
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

First of all welcome to the board, and I like what you said "fixing it up in honor of your grandad", well i'm a grandad and he must be proud to know your fixing it up in his honor. Now I would start by doing the basics if you haven't done them already - new air cleaner, clean/replace plugs and wires as needed and distbr. cap, perhaps run some carb cleaner through the tank, check the fuel filter at the carb, you might even need to rebuild or replace the carb if it has been sitting. Lift off the air cleaner and see if there are any signs of leaking around or on the carb. Now for the shift to start problem, sounds like you may need to adjust the neutral safety switch, its on the column under the dash a plastic strip like that connects to the shifter, it maybe needed adjusted up or down to have the proper contact- consult a manual to find out how to do it.

One suggestion fill out your bio so we know where your from and post some pics of this "ol girl".

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
Grim Reaper

Accelerator pump glued itself to the bore when it was sitting and it pulled off the plunger.

To verify:
Take the top of the air cleaner off. Start truck to make sure fuel bowl is full. Shut truck off.

Hold open choke plate on the primairies. Look down into the bores and give it full throttle. You should see a jet of fuel squirt into the barrells. The Jet richens up the mix till your moving enough air to get the primary jets online.

Hit your local parts store and they should have a Haynes repair manual titled "Rochester Tuning and performance" or something like that. Good book to have and read on how to work on that carb.

Basicly a carb Rebuild sound like it will make your truck a happy camper. $20 in parts and a couple cans of carb cleaner.

Welcome the the forums.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
BigGMCDaddy

You all make it sound so easy. Let me get this straight...carb cleaner, a carb rebuild kit and a manual? I have a 1986 GMC K2500 that was sitting idle for about a year. The carb is full of varnish and it doesn't run real smooth.

How much time would you estimate the rebuild job to take? I have a decent amount of mechanical aptitude (changed out alternators and brakes before) but in no way a certified mechanic.

Any more advice would be appreciated!
BigGMCDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
Grim Reaper

take me 2-3 hours from start to driving but I have done it a few times.

Just pay attention when you take it apart. Have a nice big work area where you can lay the parts out. When I take stuff apart I lay it out like a exploded veiw picture to keep parts in order thay came off.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Off topic, but were are you from wareagle?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
wareagle

Thanks for the help guys- I'll head to the parts store and get myself a haynes manual. I'm from valley,al about 25 miles north of Auburn on I-85( hence the WAR EAGLE capt kaos) thanks guys!!!
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #9
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Welcome from a fellow Alabamian then.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote