The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question After Paint Build Questions...

hey guys.....
well i am in the assy. after paint stage now & have a few questions:
1) when installing the painted doors do i install the door seals before or after I fit the doors to the cab??? along the same lines any help orhints/tips related to this would be very much appreciated.....

2) does the "latch assy." that bolts to the cab have to have the "shim" intalled or can the latch install to the cab fine with out it??

these are probably dumb to some, but i just want to try & do it right.....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
smokinstang70

Re: After Paint Build Questions...

subscribed and I have similar questions...
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think I would install and align the doors first.It just seems like it would be easier to get things lined up.However<I have a couple of old Army blankets and I would use them to prevent scratching.The weatherstrip may make the doors a bit hard to shut making assembly and alignment harder.This is of course just one opinion.The latch seems like it would be mor important to get adjusted properly than to leave the shim out(I'm assuming for appearance).You might trim the shim some to hide it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
hey guys.....
well i am in the assy. after paint stage now & have a few questions:
1) when installing the painted doors do i install the door seals before or after I fit the doors to the cab??? along the same lines any help orhints/tips related to this would be very much appreciated.....

2) does the "latch assy." that bolts to the cab have to have the "shim" intalled or can the latch install to the cab fine with out it??

these are probably dumb to some, but i just want to try & do it right.....
1- I would wait on the seals. You may have to do some re-adjusting on the in/out adjustment after you install them though. Adjusting doors can be pretty involved so the easy way for me to help on that is to have you type the words "adjust door" without the quotes, into the Google search box at the top of this page, click the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the "Google" button. I am a two fingered typer so it would take me a long time to type all that info in...

2- Those are the striker plates. They can be installed without the shims but the doors may not close correctly. I always put the same number of shims back in that I took out during disassembly if the doors originally closed good. Install the strikers after the doors are on and lined up. They are adjustable in/out & up/down. To get them adjusted I only use 2 bolts, in opposite corners. Installation is trial & error so don't just put them on and slam the door or you may chip your paint or get the door stuck and not be able to get it open. Install the striker and hold the door handle button in while you slowly close the door. If you have another person hold a flashlight for you you can watch how the striker and door latch line up as you close it. With the button held in the door should close and open without rubbing on anything.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

locdoc,
thanks for the reply & helpfull hints. yea i first tried the search & almost word for word typed as you described, but i got a hundred threads (mostly in the build section_obviously) & the few i read mostly just covered the "bolt on" stuff after the truck was painted & assy. by a shop, that is why i went ahead & did another thread..... though i do usually try to search before too! i will install the doors before the seals then & i will remove the "strykers" too. i asked about the shims because actually through the tear down & paint process i seemed to have "lost" them & mainly wanted to know if they were really needed or not.... i will check here locally & see if i can "scrounge" some up somewhere.. maybe my friend tom k has a few "extra" that he will throw my way

thanks again for the help!!

and more is always good to me so keep the hints & tricks commin'
Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
locdoc,
thanks for the reply & helpfull hints. yea i first tried the search & almost word for word typed as you described, but i got a hundred threads (mostly in the build section_obviously) & the few i read mostly just covered the "bolt on" stuff after the truck was painted & assy. by a shop, that is why i went ahead & did another thread..... though i do usually try to search before too! i will install the doors before the seals then & i will remove the "strykers" too. i asked about the shims because actually through the tear down & paint process i seemed to have "lost" them & mainly wanted to know if they were really needed or not.... i will check here locally & see if i can "scrounge" some up somewhere.. maybe my friend tom k has a few "extra" that he will throw my way

thanks again for the help!!

and more is always good to me so keep the hints & tricks commin'
If you can't find any shims let me know I have a few extra ones I can send you....

LockDoc

-
Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
MAK191

I would get some painters tape and tape off all of the door edges and anyplace that could get scratched and then remove it once the door is on and aligned to your liking.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Loc doc (leon)
will do....... Thanks!!

Mak191,
thanks!! Yea i have that figured already & bought 2 rolls of the painters tape.....
Old 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
blkcorvair

Be careful if you dont install the seals first. I would. I have no seals on mine right now and with the door centered nothing hits. But when you push the door Past closed (Since theres no seal to stop it) One side rubs the rocker and the other taps the rocker. My paint guy is actually making temporary stops that hold the door open a little bit until I get the seals and latches all installed again
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
Be careful if you dont install the seals first. I would. I have no seals on mine right now and with the door centered nothing hits. But when you push the door Past closed (Since theres no seal to stop it) One side rubs the rocker and the other taps the rocker. My paint guy is actually making temporary stops that hold the door open a little bit until I get the seals and latches all installed again
The small rubber door bumpers should keep it from doing that. 4 of them on some 6 on others. Install those first and it shouldn't be a problem...

LockDoc

-
Old 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

thanks guys..... good tips!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
pat 70/71

Also make sure the tape you have is blue painters tape (not as sticky as regular tape) and when you remove it be very careful and go slow. When I painted my trucks I installed and adjusted the doors to fit before paint &drilled 1/8" holes at the hinges so when I rehung the painted doors I used a 1/8" x1/2" rivet and installed it in the pre drilled holes. Try using a floor jack& a carpeted 2x4 and a buddy to align the doors as they can be tough to balance on your own. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

pat,
thanks for the tips.... will adhere to the info.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Subscribing... some very helpful info here.
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat 70/71 View Post
Also make sure the tape you have is blue painters tape (not as sticky as regular tape) and when you remove it be very careful and go slow. When I painted my trucks I installed and adjusted the doors to fit before paint &drilled 1/8" holes at the hinges so when I rehung the painted doors I used a 1/8" x1/2" rivet and installed it in the pre drilled holes. Try using a floor jack& a carpeted 2x4 and a buddy to align the doors as they can be tough to balance on your own. cheers, Pat
x2 / no holes - documented mesurements / same rest.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

guys.... thanks for the info. well the good news is the doors are intalled & only 1 small scratch! the alignment looks good but i still have not installed the door seals yet. the "bad" news is that i do not remember how to "install" the door latch portion that bolts to the cab i also can not find my shims that go between the latch & the cab - the ones that have "little teeth" on them.....

any helpful hints!!!

thanks!!