The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
JHT67

Hydraulic floor jack troubles

My dad has 2 Craftman floor jacks one goes down when it has weight put to it and the other hasn't been used for so long he has forgotten what it does, so for the sake of the thread we'll just say it won't pump. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had luck with repairing hydraulic floor jacks?
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Hydraulic floor jack troubles

There's a guy on garage journal I think. Hiball or something like that. Suppose to be super knowledgable. He rebuilds them and sells kits.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Hiball it is... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/member.php?u=34969

About Hiball

Biography
I'm a Hydraulic Jack Junkie.....
Interests
Fishing, and working in the shop.
Occupation
Railroader

Signature

Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
cdowns

I'd try by adding hydraulic jack fluid first befofe takin apart
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
JHT67

Thanks for the info, we'll see how it goes.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Domer

look up bleeding floor jack. that helps sometimes.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

That sears 4t low-profile jack is pure junk from the get-go. I scrapped the one I had. If it's junk new it's not worth a rebuilt. I bought one to do an axle swap on a 4wd. It worked fine, I guess, or I never needed it to stay up and never noticed the problem. It was just over a year later the next time I used that one. I was removing a 4L80E/NP241. I slid it under, pumped it up, and it wouldn't lift. It was out of warranty and I only used it that one time. I bit the bullet and bought another. I considered returning the older one as the one I had just bought and just get a refund, but decided not to. The second jack wouldn't hold, so I returned it, which turned out to be an ordeal in itself. Long story. It was supposed to be a quick lift and each pump barely moved it. The handle was so long it was limited where I had enough room to use it. And yes, I know how to bleed a jack. My last Craftsman jack lasted over 25 years. Too bad I lent it to someone who let something fall off of it and bend it up.

I also bought the little 2 1/4" toy jack for jacking just the axles. That wouldn't hold. I took it back and got another right away. That one didn't hold either, so I got another. I'm afraid to use it and if I do it will not be under my trucks, maybe to lift 1/2t or so. I've had it a couple years now and it's like new! I think it also doesn't hold. I use it on my son's Ranger to change a tire. Have to jack up past where needed with jack stand ready and slip it in real quick. I bought their 3t to replace the 4t because it looks like the same jack as the one that lasted, and so far so good. What I really want is a Hein-Warner, but haven't been able to afford one yet. They are still no BS jacks made in the USA for people who rely on jacks to make a living

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've rebuilt the HF "Aluminum race jacks" before with some generic parts. Depending how its setup, some petrolium friendly o-rings or vuitton rings is usually all it takes to "re-gasket" the jack, at least if she's leaking from the pistons (They work like motorcycle forks sorta).

I really don't like those steel-bodied jacks unless its the ULTRA-low profile ones that have the 20" of extension for kit bodied cars etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote