The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Drewski23

Questions about auto to manual

i am looking to buy a 67-72 c10..preferably a 69-70 if that makes a difference..i am having trouble finding a short bed with a manual transmission in decent shape within my price range. I am however finding a ton of auto short beds in my price range. I have lurked a bit and some have said its not a big deal at all and others have said just try to find one with a manual transmission because its a pain. If i had a definitive answer of what was involved in putting a manual transmission in place of an auto in these trucks it would make my decision alot easier..thanks for any info guys
Drewski23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
c10srule

Re: Questions about auto to manual

pedals frame bracket floor shifter and all the clutch linkage,
c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
jlsanborn

Also steering column unless you're ok with just pulling the auto shift lever off. Headers are also kind of a pain in the butt, especially if you're dropping it because of the clutch throw-out bell crank. Not trying to scare you off though. I put a Muncie four speed in mine, well I'm in the process! I don't think it's all that difficult.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
jlsanborn

Where are my manners? Welcome to the board!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
ole dollor

you will also need trans, flywheel, clutch assembly , brg. may need to change drive shaft and yoke. put a hole in floor board, linkage mount from frame to motor, most likely a different cross member.

hope this helps and i am sure i forgot some thing, i just went from 4 speed to auto....much better now...

and welcome to the forum from Texas.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Lattimer

Its a big job, and the hardest part is finding some of the smaller pieces.

However, its not impossible, not all that expensive depending on the trans you pick, and you will certainly know a lot about the truck by the time you are done. Its not a lot worse job than adapting a late model 5-speed into a 3OTT truck, which many on here have done.

So if you can find a nice truck with an auto that the price is right, buy it and enjoy it while you gather parts for the swap.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Well that all depends on who you ask and how many they have done and what their skill level is. For myself, a piece of cake and could be done on a Saturday morning, burning rubber on Saturday afternoon.

Here is the big thing to consider, parts. You really need to find a donor truck with a manual trans that has ALL the pieces. The headache comes in when you get a bell housing from a 71, a pedal set up from a 68, a bell crank from a 70, a throw out bearing fork from a 72. You get where I am going?

Make sure to buy new clutch disc, preesure plate and throw out bearing. I would never install these parts from a donor truck. Make sure you also have the flywheel machined and install a pilot bearing in the back of the crank.

Myself, I would bet you could get everything you need from a donor truck and save money on piecing all the parts seperate. Just remember to take photos before disassemblie as a guide for installation on your truck.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
54belair

All parts you need are available. Except,, the frame bracket for the clutch linkage.
To get that you will need a doner truck that Was a manual (and still has the bracket)

I am changing mine from auto to manual---actually found most of the parts on this board. My truck was originally a manual & the frame bracket was still in place.
From the factory these trucks had a front engine mount and a rear mount at the stock bellhousing. In my case, Im not using the truck bell housing and not using the rear engine mount. Instead Im supporting the rear at the tailshaft of the muncie 4 speed (as is done in most all manual applications). You will need a new trans. crossmember similar to the one that is used for an automatic.

All in all, this is not a bad swap--but not a saturday afternoon job. Round up your parts first--then proceed with a plan.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Drewski23

thanks for the replies guys..i might be pming some of you to go into further details
Drewski23 is offline   Reply With Quote