The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
HalfTon

I messed somethin up

Well I was trying to get my done light to work today and I think I broke something in the process. I put my volt meter on the orange/white wire and was getting 12 volts but the light was not working even with a new bulb. I had to get goin somewhere so I had to stop messing with it. Later on when driving I turned my lights on and none of the gauge lights came on. They worked 2 days before and I haven't driven the truck since. No fuses are blown and all the connections are where they need to be. The head/tail lights still work fine just not the gauge lights aren't working. I'm not sure what else to check. What could cause this?
Posted via Mobile Device

69' custom/10 longbed.

1999 1500 4x4 5 speed
HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Daner

Re: I messed somethin up

I have to get my light switch in just the right spot for the gauge lights to work. Try pushing in the light switch slowly and spin it around. The gauge lights can be dimmed or brightened by rotating the switch.

I don't think what you did with the dome light is related to non working gauge lights.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
SS Tim

The dome lamp switch is part of the headlamp switch as is the cluster dimmer. Often on older applications these switches develope dead spots on the dimmer wiper circuit. If the cluster lamps worked you probably just need to find a point where they work, typically max clockwise (but the switch is probably dying). The dome lamp has a battery hot and grounds through the headlamp switch when the knob is turned fully counter-clockwise. If you have an upgrade interior or the option they are also grounded by door activted switches.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
HalfTon

I can't seem to get the lights to work at all and now I find out that the tailights are not working when the headlights are turned on and the brake lights don't work either. The blinkers still work though. Would a bad light switch cause all this? Everything worked fine 2 days ago besides the done light.
Posted via Mobile Device

69' custom/10 longbed.

1999 1500 4x4 5 speed
HalfTon is offline   Reply With Quote