The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
zac

'79 K20 Cross member spacers?

I bought a '79 K20 Camper Special last week to be a work truck. Good body, needed mechanicals. 350sb/TH400/203/14 bolt(big)/10bolt. Sammy the Squirrel had done some work on it, too much to list. Broken trans case, only two bolts holding trans to engine, etc. I'm installing a new trans and a good 203. The guy I bought them from mentioned his truck had spacers under the trans/t-case crossmember that dropped it below the frame a half inch or so. I have seen them on other trucks, but mine doesn't have them. The bolts that were holding the crossmember on were different sizes and not even tightened all the way. I suspect Sammy may have left them out, but I don't know. Should my truck have them? Can I get them mail-order? How about making some out of steel tubing (I'd hate to use washers)? How long are they? Grade 5 or 8 bolts?

Thanks in advance.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
65ChevyUtah

Re: '79 K20 Cross member spacers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I bought a '79 K20 Camper Special last week to be a work truck. Good body, needed mechanicals. 350sb/TH400/203/14 bolt(big)/10bolt. Sammy the Squirrel had done some work on it, too much to list. Broken trans case, only two bolts holding trans to engine, etc. I'm installing a new trans and a good 203. The guy I bought them from mentioned his truck had spacers under the trans/t-case crossmember that dropped it below the frame a half inch or so. I have seen them on other trucks, but mine doesn't have them. The bolts that were holding the crossmember on were different sizes and not even tightened all the way. I suspect Sammy may have left them out, but I don't know. Should my truck have them? Can I get them mail-order? How about making some out of steel tubing (I'd hate to use washers)? How long are they? Grade 5 or 8 bolts?

Thanks in advance.
I just bought a 77 k20 for the frame and it has those spacers too. I am not sure if they are stock. The truck I bought has had some major rigging done to it.. I'll measure the spacers tomorrow for you.
65ChevyUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
cobinder
Everything is work in progress

My 80 K20 has the spacers, and I'm pretty sure they are stock.

How much?! It's just an old truck part!!

49 International on a 80 GMC 3/4ton 4x4 chassis
48 International KB-5 2 ton dump bed
04 Honda CRF "500"
09 Honda CRF450 fuel injected rocket
03 Suzuki hayabusa carbonfiber wheeled monster.
02 Ford diesel stretch van (toy hauler)
01 38' Monaco diesel pusher motorhome
cobinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
zac

Anyone have a '79 Shop Manual?

1979 K20 Camper Special 350/th400/203/14 bolt/10bolt

See earlier post on '79 crossmember spacers

I've got my new trans and t-case bolted up, but I'm still stressing about the crossmember spacers. I know they are probably not a huge deal, but I have seen and corrected so many stupid things from previous owners in just 2 weeks that I am suspicious of everything and a little paranoid. I just want to go back to the baseline and start over. I know a '77 K20 has the spacers under the crossmember, but I don't know what t-case it has or if it matters. And the '80 K20 would have a 205 for sure. I'm pretty sure my truck had them but Cletus just left them out when he was butchering the trans. If somebody could see if their shop manual has a diagram that might help, I would appreciate it. Or if you have any ideas where to look or who to call. I will try my junkyard guru and his Hollander manuals later this week. Thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
OrrieG

Re: Anyone have a '79 Shop Manual?

I think you need to look at from the perspective of is it right for your application. Are there any interference issues that would require the spacers (drive line clearances, shifter linkage, etc., bellhousing hitting floor or firewall)? Next does it affect the engine trans "level" by putting the back to high or low? Does is cause the universals to bind or exceed the recommended angle between the output shaft/driveline/pinion angle? If none of those are affected when it is installed without spacers then do not worry about it, two less places for mud and crud to accumulate and rust stuff.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Anyone have a '79 Shop Manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
1979 K20 Camper Special 350/th400/203/14 bolt/10bolt

See earlier post on '79 crossmember spacers

I know a '77 K20 has the spacers under the crossmember, but I don't know what t-case it has or if it matters. Thanks
You are correct, the spacers go "under the crossmember" ....Not between the crossmember and the frame. They used a bolt that was too long for just the two layers of the frame and crossmember.....and a tubular spacer to allow the long bolts to work.
Why? I don't really know? It may have had something to do with power tool use on the assembly line...or so kind of alignment during assembly? Who knows, but it is not necessary to leave it or keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
LONGHAIR

Answered in the "manual" post.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
LONGHAIR

Merged.....Please don't do this. You have several posts essentially asking the same thing. Stick with one, and you will get help. There are several guys here who are very willing and able to answer your questions....but please try to keep them as concise as you can. It is hard to keep track of the same question in several places.
It is against the rules for a reason.....

Quote:

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
zac

I didn't actually know there were rules, other than the obvious ones about profanity, insults, etc. Anyway, I'm going without spacers. Everything lined up nice when bolted up. But it still bugs me that nobody knows why they were there....
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Mudder

Some have added spacers under the frame between the cross member and frame to help with the driveline angle. Why they came on the top of the frame on the bolts is anyones guess.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
whiskeydented

My 78 has these spacers also, inside the channel of the frame for the cross member and the power steering box too.
whiskeydented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

My 4" lift kit says to take them off the top of the frame and put them in between the the frame and the cross member to make the front drive shaft angle better. My truck is missing them so I think im gunna make some.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
wildwilly4x4

Like many others have said, the spacers go above the frame. They acctually do not space anything, other than take up room on the bolt.
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote