The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Zonaman

Power Steering Pump Questions

Replacing a power steering pump on my 69 C-10 with a 350. The power steering pump bracket is the type shown in the first photo. I noticed the front bolt hole was broken (2nd photo) so I found a replacement. Question: I noted that there is a nut fixed to the back bolt hole as well. I tried to thread a long bolt all the way through (attached to coolant pump) but it stopped about 2/3 the way through. Is there some type of bolt that is supposed to go all the way through? The back end is too close to the block to be bolted from the back side. Apparently, the pump bracket was only bolted down on the front side. Did that cause some kind of stress that cracked it?

Question 2: When I removed the high pressure line from the old pump there was a fitting (3rd photo) that goes in the back of the pump to accomodate the line. Are replacements for these hard to come by? I noticed it has a thick o ring on it and I'm not sure I trust the old fitting.

Only want to do this job once so I'd appreciate hearing from you all. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zonaman; 01-16-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typos
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Power Steering Pump Questions

Question 1 : Yes the bolt is supposed to go all the way through it, you may have an obstuction of some sort.
Question 2 :That is the power steering preesure relief valve and yes replacments should not be that difficult to obtain for your application.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
ole dollor

Re: Power Steering Pump Questions

i would think it needs to be bolted on the back side also. that would hold it better, that is probably why the front bracket broke not enough support.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote