The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Goinlow64

How low can I go?

I am looking to start a new project soon and I want to go pretty low with a suburban. However, I don't want to bag it if I can avoid it. What is the lowest i can go with drop coils and who makes them? Also, what is the issue with using c10 drop coils? Do they fit or are they just too weak? If I did use c10 coils, what is worse case scenario. I know I will need to c notch and I am fine with that. Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Goinlow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Street Smart

Re: How low can I go?

I have ECE 4'' drop in the rear, lil weak, dropped more like 5''. I put air helper bags in the springs for towing. CPP makes a heavy duty 4" drop rear, I`m about try,(use the ECE in a pickup i just got).
In the front i have 2.5 spindles and a 1" spring, could be a tad lower, came up since i put an aluminium LS in it vs. the all iron 350.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Street Smart

By the way, no c-notch, no problems, trimmed the rear factory bump stops, upgrades track bar and relocated shock mounts.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Goinlow64

Thanks for the info! If I am not worried about towing or having a load, would C10 coils work? or are they just too weak?
Goinlow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
BMERDOC

I have no experience with 'Burbs but speaking from a truck aspect...The front is where you need to concentrate on and the rear follows. I think you can only 5 to 5.5" in the front without worry of rubbing or lower control arm clearance. Stock trucks had a rake of 2" front to rear. As springs sag and people drop trucks they are a little let down by how much the truck is actually lowered (I was). If you base the front drop on a 5" drop AND do it correctly I would use a 3" coil and a 2" spindle. 2.5" drop spindles are available. Given the 2" inch rake, you have a decision to make. Do you want the 2" rake? Do you want it level? Or do you want a slight 1" rake? Will you be running 15" rims? If it were me I'd run a 3" coil with a 2" spindle up front and a 5" coil with a one inch drop block (I like to spread a drop over several components where possible). You'll need a double adjustable Panhard rod and shock relocators for the rear. I would include shock relocators for the rear (something you can do yourself with stock pieces if you have the know-how) and new shocks. I would also upgrade the front shocks with shock reinforcement brackets. You will have to at least trim the bumpstops and I would consider doing a c-notch just in case. If you go that low remove the rivets from the trailing arm brackets, flip the brackets over and reinstall them with at least grade 8 bolts. There are a lot of manufacturer choices for any of these parts. Your wallet is the deciding factor. Don't forget to get a GOOD alignment and yes the stock specs, for lack of a better term, suck.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
OneOffStroker

On my '69 Burb, I have 3" springs up front with 2.5" lowered spindles, and 4" coils and 2" blocks out back. It definitely sits with some rake still, but it is certainly low. I'm running tires that don't seem to be much larger than what you wold expect to find on a truck like this, and I had to do a LOT of modifications up front to minimize tire rub. I have 30x9.5-15s up front and 31x10.5-15s out back. I had to completely eliminate the stock inner fenders and fab some that only cover the top area, and I had to completely roll the insides of my fenders. However, they still rub a fair amount when I turn at full-lock.

The good news is that with shock relocaters in the rear, new panhard bar, and drop shocks all around, it actually rides pretty well. It's no Caddy, but it it much, much, much better that when I first got it and it had cut coils up front and compressed coils in the rear with bottomed out stock shocks and riding on bumpstops all the time.

I don't think C10 coils will make a difference. I'm sure that when you compare the structure of a burb behind the front doors with the structure of a pickup from the same spot, there won't be as much of a difference in weight as you may initially believe. For instance, the pickup bed is double-walled, the burb's quarter panels are not. There is more bedwood in a truck, not to mention attaching hardware. So...if you can only get C10 springs, then use them.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote