The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT

Trans related question for SBC swap

I've got the bug again to tear into my 54 and prep it for a SBC. I've even put up ads locally and on HAMB to get rid of this 235 I've had forever I'm never going to do anything with. So I'm looking around for 305s preferably locally and going to order the Brother's crossmember kit for a motor and tranny in the next week. A couple questions I have are do I need to cut out the old trans crossmember from the truck to make room for the new parts, and if I do should I brace the frame to make up for the removal of it, or is there enough bracing in that area to hold up while it's removed until the 2 new crossmembers go in? Or do I need to leave it in, because it won't get in the way?

Also, I doubt this matters, but do I need a short tail 350 or long tail 350? I assume it doesn't matter as the trans crossmember ultimately goes where I want it to, and either way I'm going to probably have to get a customized driveshaft to go into whatever rear end I pick
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
rcbildr

Re: Trans related question for SBC swap

I can't help with your questions, but can you post a link to that crossmember. I have a 54 1 ton flatbed I'm thinking about doing a V8 swap on. I already have a TH-400.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Matt300ZXT

Just go to Brother's Truck's webpage, it's pretty easy to find on there.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
mr48chev

I take it that you are planning on running an automatic of some sort. That would mean that you will have to at least trim out the crossmember that goes under the bellhousing if not remove it completely. If you are running a stick trans I'd go with a later cast iron bellhousing that mounts to the crossmember and not worry about the rear mount as the bellhousing serves as the rear mount. You might have to modify the firewall slightly for clearance for the valve covers but that setup works well and you can run the stock clutch linkage.

Someone needs to design a bolt in crossmember to replace the center crossmember that would help keep the frame rails straight when the weight of the cab pushes down on the cab mounts and tries to twist the frame. You can usually spot trucks that have had the crossmember cut out for some time when you look at them from the side and they look bent at the cowl.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Matt300ZXT

Wouldn't a crossmember mount for the engine and then the one for the trans (if I go auto) be enough to brace the frame allowing me to cut out the stock tranny crossmember?