The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
99cobra09

Differential Carrier Questions?

Im new to the forum, i have a 1975 C-10 Stepside. Im doing a gear swap, originally the truck had 3.08's with a gov lock differential which is Series 3

Now im upgrading to a 4.10 gear and a SERIES 4 CARRIER FROM A CAR. From what i been told, they tell me that it won't fit. I tried it and it looks like i would have to shim it just right for the axles to be equally spaced out so they dont hit the backing plate and to have a proper lash.

What are you guy's thoughts on this, is it do-able or there is no way.
99cobra09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
99cobra09

Re: Differential Carrier Questions?

Anyone?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

99, check axel length and # of splines on the axels ( 3.08 vs 4.10) so you can tell if axels will fit into the new diff. Next check total housing length on each. The distance the axel sticks out is governed by the cross pin in the diff, not shimming. If the axels and the housings are the same length and the number of splines are the same it will fit. Your going to have to shim the new carrier no matter where it winds up. The new pinion will have to be set up also (shimmed and preloaded). jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
99cobra09

The axles are going to be the stock ones that came with the truck, the splines are 30 spline. The carrier that will be going on is 30 spline, but its out of a 12 bolt car rear end. I moked up the carrier and it looks like one side will have a very thin shim and the other side will have more.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

99, you have to install the 4:10 pimion in the housing before you can check any shim thickness. Like I said above, check lenghts and splines. Also make sure the new axels will fit in axel bearings in the housing you intend to install them in. I forgot 1 thing yesterday, when checking axels, make sure the "C" clip grooves are in the same spots. If the "C" clip grooves are different teh axels won't work. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
99cobra09

The axles are the stock one's, the ones that came original in a c10. How do you check the axles, what am i suppose to check? The c-clip grooves are in the same spot, the only thing is that one axle will probably goin in a little more than the other but that wont be determined until i actually put the pinion shim the carrier.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
ont_guy_38

I have heard it is possible with some creative shim work but you have to know what you are doing
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Desert1957

Back in the day , series 3 and 4 carriers were a little confusing. It all has to due with the ring gear selection. I'm not sure which ratio was the cut off but a series 3 could only use up to 3.73 or 4.10. Then you had to go to a series 4 carrier or run a ring gear spacer..

But it was different with a series 4 carrier you could use a ring gear spacer to run a higher gear ratio.

The problem you might be encountering is a small case 10 bolt housing will not accept a series 4 carrier, now days the make every ratio for a 10.5 housing, so If you are sure you have a series 4 carrier I don't think it will fit in the case.

Every one gets so caught up in the 10 bolt vs 12 bolt thing, a 12 bolt just has a larger inside case diameter, a 10 bolt can be every bit as strong in a street application

I Drag raced a 64 Chevy ll with a 10 bolt and a stick shift , It had good parts inside and NEVER broke.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191272

Desert

Last edited by Desert1957; 12-17-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote