The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
Stephen717

Blue knight build thread

So I am finally making a build thread, although I am probably the worst person that could be doing this as being 18 I am more interested in working than taking pics, I will have to get better at doing that. I don't think I have done so much that pics will be missed that much. So since I bought the truck I have moved it once on the dealers lot after changing the fuel pump at the dealers lot so that it would start. Then I had to get it towed home. When she got here I dubbed her the blue knight although it won't be blue forever, I plan on changing it to red and white after awhile. Not having a full time job really puts a damper on things. (Sidebar, no one would hire me from the age of 15 on so I started a mowing buiseness, It has since taken off real well and during the summer I made about $1,750 which $800ish was spent on record players and guitars and what not. anyway the $700 paid for the truck and the remaining $250ish was spent on a new coil, plugs and wires, oil, rad fluid, battery, the original radio for the truck, a few gallons of fuel, and a can of seafoam. Now that I am 18 I have put in for Fairfax county Va fire and rescue. Was sent an application filled it out and sent it in and was sent an email saying that I had been accepted and to get ready for the CPAT. I have my test on Friday and will keep you posted.) anyway that will get me money if I get the job but then I will only be able to work on it on the weekends since I will be living in Va while in recruit school, anyway I have drained all the fluids from the truck and changed the gasket and that's when I noticed that there is a bolt in the head of the 250 that has been sheared off. now the 250 isn't the original motor but It replaced the 307 which I can only assume was locked up. it still has the original 3 speed and rear end though. I have taking the interior completely apart and have taken all the wiring out of the truck as I am going to get a new wiring harness and fuse block from painless. I would have driven the truck as is except for the fact that there are little problems with it such as the gas I have been draining from the tank is brown (might make a good varnish). I have also found out that it was originally a medium olive and not the light olive that I thought it was but had a white top from the factory. Also I am trying to figure out where the #s would be stamped on my axle to figure out if it is a posi rear, and does anyone know if trucks could be ordered with a helper spring on 1 side instead of both or am I missing one. And one last thing for the night, If anyone has an original 1969 tarrytown ny dealership keychain please message me. I have been trying to find one for my truck. I will try to post pics of my progress tomorrow.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Blue knight build thread

Welcome to the board as a new owner of the best trucks ever built!
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=578793

Posts #8 & #19 show where a couple of the rear axle codes are located. When you find the code just look it up in the charts. Some of the posi rears have a plastic tab on the fill plug.

Helper springs were normally on both sides.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Stephen717

thanks for the info on the axle
Old 02-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
biketopia

Welcome! I'm in Fairfax County, work for the water authority. I have my tuck plus parts from 3 or 4 others, if you're in need of something let me know, I might have it. I have a stock fuel tank if you're looking too.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Stephen717

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Welcome! I'm in Fairfax County, work for the water authority. I have my tuck plus parts from 3 or 4 others, if you're in need of something let me know, I might have it. I have a stock fuel tank if you're looking too.
Is the fuel tank clean inside. My is rusted all to hell. I am also looking for the front outer fenders and will eventually need a new bed. I am planning on eventually doing a wood bed but instead of using oak like everyone else I am going to use ipe for the boards and will recess teak down into it instead of using the stainless runners.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Stephen717

Update on the build and pictures. The truck no longer runs and don't know why. I think I may have gotten 2 small of a battery so I drained LL the fluids when I found this out and started hitting the wiring as I may have said in my last post. Today I pulled out the last bit of wiring and straitened up the new plug wires that I got before I found out that the gas was basically varnish. I also rebuilt the Rochester 1 jet thinking that it was the issue and need to get a new hard line to go from the fuel pump to the carb. My favorite part about this truck it that the PO took the time to put in a heavy duty clutch from a tow truck so you have to work a little to get it pressed down. But he also did all of the wiring on this truck himself and it was a total fire hazard. Once I got all of the wiring disconnected and out and the interior was tore down I went to taking off the HD read bumper and giving it a quick scuffing and rattle can paint job. I have to say that it turned out pretty nice until some rain washed out the tailgate. Now the white paint job has some green streaks in it. I am also planning on painting the grille and front bumper white before bolting them back on. And I still have to find that auxiliary leaf spring for the driver side. I figure if I can get it running I can restore it while I drive it. If I don't end up trading it for a 71 Camaro. My ultimate goal though would be to buy the Camaro from the guy and drive it while I restore the truck the right way.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Stephen717

Name:  IMG_20170208_164051996.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  46.2 KB I like that the Motorsports plug wire seperators came from my dad's 79 z28. It was one of the things he was able to save after it was wrecked.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Stephen717

Name:  IMG_20160714_092941008_HDR.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160918_073110623_HDR.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  48.3 KB

Does 8389683 mean anything to anyone. They are the only #s I found on my axle
Old 02-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Stephen717

3896838 gm5. Was looking at the #s upsidedown

Last edited by Stephen717; 02-08-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Stephen717

moroso not motorsports I hate auto correct
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
Stephen717

I also remembered that when I got the truck it smoked terribly and I couldn't figure out why. I think it was a mix of old oil and bad gas... and the fact that the 2 inch exhaust had a 1 inch kia muffler welded to it.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #13
Stephen717

So my cousin has a 69 Camaro that he has been upgrading ever since he got it and said that he will talk to my uncle and if he doesn't still want them I will be getting a set of front buckets for the blue knight. I will eventually think of a better name for her when she's been repainted red. I am going to tie the interior into the paint job though. And by the time she's restored I am hoping that she still looks mostly original with minor modern touches. Also one of my other uncles was really big into car audio back in the day and gave me all of the speakers and the panisonic shaft radio with tape player and a realistic 5 band EQ. The radio and We won't be going in the truck but the jenson speaker tubes will be getting retro fitted with Rockford fozgate speakers and put back behind the seats for an old school look. I will also retrofit the dash with a fozgate speaker and am planning on mounting to fozgate subs isobaric in the center console. It will be run through the original radio which I will be getting updated so that I have more than just am.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
Stephen717

OK I need some help from the motor gurus here. I have been looking at rebuilding a 350 that I got from a 1992 k1500 a little over 4 years ago. I took it apart and gunked it but thats about as for as I have gotten. I thought about rebuilding it for my truck but now I am thinking about just rebuilding the 250 that's in the truck as I can get the same kind of hp and torque out of it and I kind of like the sound of it. I guess my question is which way should I go with this. And If I go the 250 route, how much could I get for the 92 lt1? 350. all help is appreciated. thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would either rebuild the I6 or buy a GM crate 350 engine for it. You can usually get the GM crate engines for less than $1500 delivered and I don't think you can rebuild an old 350 for that.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #16
Stephen717

while true about the crate 350 it will only make between 295-360 hp where as the way I've looked at building it although a little more expensive will push around 400-475 hp. but then again I have heard of 250's making about 350 hp before.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
Stephen717

So the weathers nice again. no rain, the humidity is down, time to start on the truck again. during the rainy season I did a lot of research and pricing and have started saving for the wiring harness that i need so bad... then I spent that money on new bfg's for my dad's truck as an early fathers day gift. So I started saving again. I have also started taking stuff out of the bed and putting it in other places. the grille is back on the truck (although not bolted on), the seat is back in the truck, the old gas tank is in the bed of my dads truck (I burned about 10 gallons of old gas to be able to lift it, taking the rest of it to the local dump. They have an area where I can offload the rest of it. then I can get rid of the old tank. its completely roached inside.). now I have to finish cleaning out the bed so I can cut it off of the frame since its covered in bondo patch panels and rust holes. found out in my research that I don't need a bed as long as i can mount a license plate and tail lights. It will also make redoing the suspension and brakes a bit easier since I will have more room to work. I was also trying to get ahold of a 1969 GMC front clip. that fell through so I will have to find a clean front clip somewhere else. Chevy or GMC will work at this point. I am also still trying to find low back bucket seats from a 69 Camaro to replace the bench. I also found a replacement accelerator rod to replace the home made one that was there before I bought the truck but it is a bit to short. I am starting to think that my truck was pieced together from a bunch of different trucks. I have had a couple people stop by to ask about the truck and entertained them with $3,000 thinking they would talk me down. either they are thinking about a different number to throw at me or it was enough to scare them off. either way it reignited the spark to work on the old girl and kill the hornets and spiders living in it. that's all for now. hopefully I will be able to make some progress on it throughout the rest of the year. July 14th will make 1 year since I bought her and its the one thing that I do not regret buying over the past year. going to renew the tag so that no one else get the # on a different year tag. I like the fact that I can use a 69 tag on my truck and don't want to lose the ability to use it because I was to cheap to renew the tag when it wasn't running. Anyway, I'll quit rambling on on and get back to it.