The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
JBstor

Goals, and dreams

I am curious what everyone else here is trying to accomplish with their trucks, and to what extent.

If you have seen any of my previous posts you already know that I have had my Blazer a long time. It has changed back and forth over the years, but my attitude now, is just to make the thing decent, and enjoy it.

Now, "decent" might mean something else to you, but for me it is having the truck look, sound, and drive well, and safely, along with knowing that there is not a gallon of bondo hidden on one fender, or a tin can holding the exhaust on. I want to get it real nice, without becoming a museum curator.

I love to see the trucks on here that look as if you could flip the thing over, and eat a meal off the undercarriage, as well as the trucks that "have a dream".

What is your goal?

JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
71swb4x4

I want my Jimmy to be a fun cruiser someday. It is getting bags soon. The Jimmy has s lot of rough edges, the worst being the suspension, so for now its bags, then fix up the interior and cruise around all summer. Next winter will bring a 68 Chevy front clip, and maybe new paint. Who knows, that's a long time from now
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

what is my goal?

to finish it!
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
JBstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis
what is my goal?

to finish it!

Ahhh yes, but what IS "finished" to you?
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
71jimmy

My goal - to drive the darn thing past the driveway - SCORE!!!!!!!!

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Alexis
Member since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBstor
Ahhh yes, but what IS "finished" to you?

Chapter 1......................................

but really, I just want a clean ride.

Last edited by Alexis; 03-07-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
c-1072

blazin dreams

Mine as of right now is the same a cleam safe ride shoot right now i would settle to have the thing in the shop putting her under the knife . Alas there is no such action beacause the is still a few feet of snow surrounding her in my grandfathers driveway !
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

2004 - Purchased, Delivered, Bought more parts, Started mock-up

2005 - Finish buying parts, Complete mock-up, Everything but paint

2006 - Paint, Shows, Trophies, and maybe get in a few Magazines

Click on the "GQ" in my signature for the whole story & over 100 pic's
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

My goal is to have look like it came off the showroom floor.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
Bluegoose972

My goal....I have only drive my blazer twice. Once home and then once around the block before I tore her apart. My goal is to drive her and my wife to the drivein!
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #11
71RestoRod

That's a great question.

My vision has the top off, mountain roads, summer day... no stereo blaring, just the sound of the engine and the "woo-hoo"s from the driver!

Mine's a resto-mod… fairly stock looking until you look underneath.

I've watched six summers come and go since I first stripped it down to rebuild. I've been in no rush and have enjoyed every minute cutting, welding and wrenching on it. What little time I’ve had to work on it has finally added up. OK, it's added up a lot... but this summer is my summer to cruise w/ the family and friends.

Woo-hoo!
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBstor
I want to get it real nice, without becoming a museum curator.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There inlies the challenge!

I thought I wanted "pristeen" with mine but now I won't even take it on a dirt road.

Good luck and stay focussed. Your goals seem on track. if I add this...
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

For it to be a daily driver with all of todays technology. Airbag suspension, fuel injection, power yadda yadda yadda. A few cosmetic tricks but nothing extreme like chopping it. End result to look cool when getting from point a to point b.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
raggedjim

I first wanted to just drive something different, so I found the 2wd Blazer. It draws attention no matter what else is parked beside it.

But I find myself wanting to fix this, and make that better. My wife put her foot down when I told her I was going to put in 5-lug disc brakes and rear disc brakes... she said that she enjoys driving it the way it is and didn't want me tearing it down and taking forever to out it back together... whhhat? who me? So I did what she said, I left it alone... but I had all these wasted parts I had bought to change it over... Oh what a waste of money... so I HAD to buy a 2wd Jimmy (see, she gets her way and I WIN!)

So now we drive the Blazer in the summer and I work on the Jimmy when I can. You know, she was right about tearing things apart, once you get them apart you start thinking about how easy it would be to get them sand blasted, and Joe down the street has been testing his new powdercoating crap...

Anyway, this year I plan to have the body work and have the running gear worked out on the jimmy so I can drive her alittle. Next year will be paint and interior.

Thanks and good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Trifelynn

My dreams and goals...

Seems like two different questions in itself.

My dream would be to have a pristine 2wd blazer...like Jaydub...a classic car, with new parts, to make it more comfortable...

But the more I think about it, the more I relaize, if I have it like that...I won't ever want to drive it, because then I won't want to get a chip in the paint, or a door ding at your local supermarket. I see these blazers in magazines all fixed up, and VERY nice...and I think about 5-10 years down the road, when you have to go through the entire thing again. I guess the realization that this is going to be a life-long event is hitting me. It isn't a bad thing, I am just relaizing this. Not only will it take a couple years to be "finished"...but then a couple years down the road, I am going to have to do things all over again ...

But to what I want from my blazer. I want power all the way around. I want the door handles shaved, along with everything else on the blazer. I want to put in something to make the back hatch open with power...like an actuator, or something. I want new power heated seats, I want a navigation system with a dvd player and screens in the headrest "dog" haha...I want a motor that will show the rice burners what real power is, but at the same time, I don't want it to pass everything but a gas station. I want it to be reliable, and I want to take the top off, so myself, family, and friends can go cruise and have a good time. I want to be able to take it to cruise nights, and shows throughout the states, and I want to drive to there...That too much to ask? hehe I know, my dreams and goals are wrapped into one...but that is what I see when I think of this blazer. I told myself, that once I got one, I would never let it go...and yet a few months ago, I tried to sell it. Money issues <shrug> Anyways, I am rambling now...blah, blah, blah...that is what I want out of my blazer
Old 03-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

First I want to be able to drive it while I am upgrading my truck. Then I want it to safe, rust free, nice enough that my wife will be willing to be seen in public in it(but not so nice as to never want to hit the mud with it).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
NuBomb

Great Thread!

My goal is to be able to drive the darn thing this summer. My plan is to have it edged out by the end of the first week of April. The next stretch of days I have to work on it will be early June. I hope to spend about 4 weekends during April and May to have it ready to paint by June.

I see a solid rust-free silver blazer with lower trim. I want to have a black push-bar and black swing-away tire carrier. I need a fastrac and a bikini top. I'd like to have a rubber floor liner rather than carpet and I hope to install seats from a tahoe (with integrated seatbelts and removable back seat) like JayDub did with his.

My vision is to be able to take it to the local cruises and turn some heads while being able to drive it everyday. I can't wait to load up my girls (Wife and two daughters) and take some drives up to the mountains.

In the future, I'd like to change the rear-end gears (more highway friendly), install an overdrive trans., and one day a late model small block with fuel injection (like Bobby K's).

Now can someone send me some $$$$.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #18
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

My main goal is to enjoy the rig and have fun. Some day, I'd like to do a full resto on the '72, but that is going to wait until I have a slammed 2wd to drive while it is being redone.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #19
slamd58
<- Determination Pays Off

Good question! I have done the frame off restorod action with my '58. I have attended and won many of the big shows in L.A., been in several magazines...this after 11 years of work, big A$$ money, and not driving it for the 11 years. Then afraid to drive the darn thing after the truck was done. Don't get me wrong, I will never regret the experience and loved to show off my truck....however, I sold it, lost $30K and now own a cool 72 blazer.

Now I just want to drive it, fix the leaks, exhaust, and take my wife and kids out to see the mountains, lakes, streams, Crater lake, Oregon coast, and get high 5's for having a cool Driver.....Paint chips and all!
slamd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #20
raggedjim

Slamd58, that 58 is a great looking truck. the 58's don't get the attention they deserve.

I had a '68 Corvette I had restored and it was fun doing it but after I got it done, I was afraid to drive it! I'll never get as anal about a vehicle again...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
jamesjones
Freakin Awesome!

My dream and hopefully my reality pretty soon is to be able to to prerun Baja and drive it to work and back and have it look all right also.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #22
Leinie

My goal is to get a Blazer again ( had to sell - no time , money , space )

Hopefully in 10 years, I'll be looking for a finished 2wd that will never have a top on it, and be driven every nice spring , summer and fall day- or about 10 times a year here !
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #23
crispy
'71 Chevy Blazer

i plan on having a driver... (thanks all you guys for your honesty about not wanting to drive your rods after you finished them).

mine will be:
-my 4wheeling rig
-my daily driver
-my test bed for all the ideas in my head

i plan on getting the body in good shape. i probably won't get it painted at a shop but instead i will give it the best quality rattle can paint that i can. i want it too look good but i don't want to cry over scratches. i have a 350 that me and Grandpa built. that's going to go in along with a sm465/np205 combo. right now, i'm trying to source a hydraulic clutch setup. i've messed with a 4 speed swap before in my '70 GMC and i don't want to hassle with mechanical linkage again. i'll put 2" springs in the rear with an ORD shackle flip. 4" springs up front with extended shackles. i may relocate the front spring hangers to strectch the wheelbase and add a little lift. i'm going to add fully greasable suspension from ORD also. i want to clean the interior up really good and put in some kind of bedliner. also, i want to get newer front bucket seats and all the necessary hardware, etc. the PO hacked up the dash to put in a radio but i have plans for that hole and i will put a radio in a center console.

there are a lot of ideas in my head that i hope to follow through with as soon as i sell my Dodge Ram. when i start building these things, i can't wait to post to this bulletin board so that i can reciprocate all the good will that comes from the other members of this board.

thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #24
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

My goal is to make mine look like a prop out of a Road Warrior Sequel and be able to run the same. I like pretty shiny things, but this truck isn't one of em and was not designed to be.

It's not embarrassing to drive around, it's pretty clean I suppose with no rust showing. Everyone always comments how they like it and they respect that I actually use it. I will clean it up a bit next winter, but never to the point that I am afraid to take it out on a whim.

I have the upmost respect for the purists and restorers out there, these trucks need preservation for future generations and someone needs to do it.

SAFE, BIG, LOUD, FAST and a fun to take the family in. If my sons scratch it with their bikes or dump an ice cream cone on the seat, no biggie. If I get some scratches down it off roading or a door ding, no biggie.

You can do all you want to a brand new HD2500 or an F250, it still will never look as good or as tough as a jacked up full vert K5.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #25
orangeuavol
GO VOLS!

Clean,straight, respectable daily driver. Nice enough to turn some heads but not so nice that I can't drive it.

It's called golf because all the other four letter words were taken.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
orangeuavol is offline   Reply With Quote