The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
jojoman

satin paint

I'm in process of painting my truck i going satin paint job for now but i want to know what paint you fellers used and what you reduced it with how much and some pic of your creation if any im planning on using valspar semigloss paint wich is same as john deere paint cheaper price also i dont know if you have clear this paint or what also wanted to ask if there is a single stage paint that is this type of paint and is it worth it thanks you guys
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Sniper X

Re: satin paint

All I can tell you is if you don;t clear it it is super easy to touch up when it gets scratched. I rattle canned my 1874 C20 Long bed and it is super easy to touch up and ooks great compared to what it looked like fourteen different colours!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
muthstryker

I wouldnt use valspar if I were you, I would get Rustoleum SATIN black. They have it in quarts and it can be sprayed with a gun. I would thin it to about the consistancy of milk and spray it a few times... But make sure its SATIN it will say it on the can in green lettering.

Heres my friends truck, I choose to use spray paint because we didnt want to spend to much time making a make-shift paint booth in his garage. This was used with rustoleum spray paint, its tough as nails. He threw a rock at his truck and the paint didnt even chip.

Yes it is spray paint!

muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
muthstryker

Water just beads off this paint, Ive done a few cars with it now and no one can tell its spraybombed. I love this stuff, I use it for everything.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
MWood

Any more pics of his truck? The paint looks great!
MWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWood View Post
Any more pics of his truck? The paint looks great!
Here ya go..

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...Matts%20Truck/

That was about 2 hours after I got done painting, Some of the pics you can see tiger striping, It has since completely dried and there isnt any streaking at all.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
I wouldnt use valspar if I were you,
Specific reason why? I'm a couple months out from finishing my truck, and I am currently planning to use Valspar and Spirits.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Here ya go..

That was about 2 hours after I got done painting, Some of the pics you can see tiger striping, It has since completely dried and there isnt any streaking at all.
Very nice for a spray can job! What wheel/Tire combo you running?

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Specific reason why? I'm a couple months out from finishing my truck, and I am currently planning to use Valspar and Spirits.
Im sure their auto paint is fine, I just assumed he would of just gone down to the local hardware store and picked some up from there. Not sure what he plans on using but plain and simple, its house paint. Ive had mixed results with it and have always stripped it and gone back to Rustoleum. Rustoleum is made for metal and also made for a weather resistant finish, Plus it can pretty much be applied right over rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1425956 View Post
Very nice for a spray can job! What wheel/Tire combo you running?
Hes running a 22x9.5 with a 265/40/22 tire, I tried to talk him into getting a smaller tire so he could drop it alot lower then it is now but he didnt want to listen to me, now he wants to go lower and cant
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Altec
Getcha Pull

I'm not sure what paint Jojo was referring to, but I was thinking of this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...1-gal--1032961
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
muthstryker

That doesnt look bad at all.. Worth a try when ever I hear the name valspar I alway instantly assume house paint.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
jojoman

that is the exact paint im planning on using myth and altec i just was wondering what other people use from what i have heard is that valspar makes that john deere blitz black so altec if you use it before me let me see your results
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
jojoman

they also got this http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...1-gal--3449025
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
MalibuSSwagon

The Valspar tractor looks good, do you have to reduce it similar to automotive paint? Looking to do my truck up in flat black, mostly because I work it and don't want to scratch up nice new shiny paint.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
MWood

Quote:
Here ya go..

Pics look great! How bad was it to prep? I mean did you sand it down to bare metal and smooth it out? Or just scuff it up? I am thinking of going this route on all my trucks. Only bad thing is I heard that it is hard to keep clean. Things like fingerprints show up bad because of the oil in our skin.

Another option is the John Deere Blitz Black.

Last edited by MWood; 04-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.
MWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
bundeber

My little brother tore a truck down, sanded it all to bare metal, did the body work, then put a metal etch primer on and some tractor paint, Looked awesome! That is until he put a couple of years of driving on it, the whole thing rusted within 5 years. Now I'm no body expert, but I've done my share, and I know he did it right. The paint just doesn't hold up. It's great for tractors, they don't have to be pretty, and everyone assumes they rust because they got scratched somewhere, but I'm not sold on ANY of those cheap paints. I would rather spend an extra 500-1000 for GOOD paint than have to tear it all down again later to put more paint on it. I hate doing things twice, it's a huge waste of time. They make flat clear coat, I'd go with the BC/CC with a flat finish. Besides the fact, if you ever do have to sell the thing, you tell them you sprayed it with rustoleum, and forget it, they're probably going to run the other way. They're going to assume if you went cheap on the paint, you probably went cheap elsewhere. Just my two cents!
bundeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWood View Post
Pics look great! How bad was it to prep? I mean did you sand it down to bare metal and smooth it out? Or just scuff it up? I am thinking of going this route on all my trucks. Only bad thing is I heard that it is hard to keep clean. Things like fingerprints show up bad because of the oil in our skin.

Another option is the John Deere Blitz Black.
This paint doesnt have that problem, cleans up and looks just like it did when it was sprayed. Water beads off of it like the truck is waxed. His dad spilt beer all down the side of it and all over the hood, he didnt clean it up for almost 3 weeks and it just wiped right off like it had just happened.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
jojoman

so if i was to spray with the flat clear would i have to wet sand and all that other stuff to make it look good and on my trucks finger prints show but because the previous owner just went to dollar store and spray painted the whole truck
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

This topic has been hashed over several times in the paint forum. I think the general consensus is that for a vehicle you should use a lacquer paint, and save the enamels for your patio furniture.

It is, however, your choice and your dime. If you can afford the right stuff, by all means do it. If your budget only affords Rustoleum, etc, it is your truck. If that makes you happy then my all means do it, but you have to realize you'll be re-doing it time and again every couple years when it starts looking bad again.

My personal experience with rustoleum was on the inside of a tailgate, properly prepped, sanded, primed, and two years later you could still scratch it off with a thumbnail.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
MalibuSSwagon

Good point Jason, I was initially going to use Hot Rod Flatz, since its a proper single stage auto paint. But it is always good to research your options before pulling the trigger. Think I'll save the rustoleum for the winter beater Hondas, I'd like this paint job to last quite a while and the Flatz paint really is not expensive in the realm of automotive paints.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
86shortchevy

I also used rustoleum satin black for the top half of my s10. been almost a year and not a chip, scratch or faded spot on it. If you use a spray can, take the nozzle off of a can of elmers spray adhesive because it sprays wider and it wont streak hardly at all.
Attached Images

86shortchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

I painted my 70 with the valspar paint. no complaints at all. If you want to see pics look in the lats page or 2 of my build thread. I would use it again in a heartbeat.

East Tx Squares
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #23
jojoman

nice truck dawg i love the way it came out im going with it or there this guy wo goes to swap meets i go to and he sells the whole kit for i think 65 bucks so either or i think it will come out good i will post it as soon as is sprayed
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #24
jojoman

also had one more question does any one know how hard is it to spray those candy or pearl flats im also thinking on those
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #25
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

Quote:
I wouldnt use valspar if I were you, I would get Rustoleum SATIN black. They have it in quarts and it can be sprayed with a gun. I would thin it to about the consistancy of milk and spray it a few times... But make sure its SATIN it will say it on the can in green lettering.

Heres my friends truck, I choose to use spray paint because we didnt want to spend to much time making a make-shift paint booth in his garage. This was used with rustoleum spray paint, its tough as nails. He threw a rock at his truck and the paint didnt even chip.

Yes it is spray paint!

Sorry, just trying to clear things up, this is a spray bomb job??
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote