The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Barney1970 CST

Oil mist??

Hey guys,
I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys about what could possible be going on before I pull the engine and do a rebuild. Heres the story. I have had this truck about a year now and do not drive it very much, it is a 72 C/10 lwb. It has a 350 and 3 on the tree. The PO I got the truck from had the motor rebuilt 2 years before I got the truck, he gave me all the paper work when I got the truck. He sold it to me because he did not drive it much either. I drove the truck around town for the first 6 months and had no problem, it has been sitting in the garage out of the weather the last few months and I start her up and let run for 15 to 20 minutes about once a week. Ok now to the problem, today I started it up and backed it up out the garage and drove to the end of the street and back to the house. I noticed when I got out the truck it was smoking just a little. I put my hand at the end of tail pipe and did not notice anything on my hand. I left the truck running and went to go get a sheet of paper. I put the paper about a 6-8 inches away from the tail pipe and start seeing small black dots on the paper. I wiped it with my finger and it looks like a oily mist. I did the same thing over the passenger side tail pipe and I am see the same thing, but not as bad. It is not what I would call bad out of either side, just a light white looking smoke. It does increase when I hit the throttle. The only thing I did was change the oil in the motor over the winter, and new plugs and wires. I pulled a few of the pugs this afternoon and they are clean, looked over the plug wires to make sure I put them back on in the right firing order and it was correct. What could have happened over the winter? Could it be valve seals? Could it be the rings? The gas has been sitting in the truck for a few months, but that would not make it smoke would it? I will try what ever you guys suggest, I already have new valve seal that I picked up today, I figured I may start there. I have the motor out of my other 70 and hoping to install it this week, I really dont want to have to rebuild this motor also.
Barney1970 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Oil mist??

drive it drive it drive it!!!what you seem to have is a bunch of carbon/oil/gas/sout built up in the exhaust from Idleing it with the choke on all winter take it and get it hot a good long run is best... I bet when you get home you'll have a smile on your face and it will run alot better...

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
drive it drive it drive it!!!what you seem to have is a bunch of carbon/oil/gas/sout built up in the exhaust from Idleing it with the choke on all winter take it and get it hot a good long run is best... I bet when you get home you'll have a smile on your face and it will run alot better...
As hottrucks said with all the times you started it over the winter condensation will build up in the exhaust and cause this problem. I also would get this engine up to operating temp and put a good test drive and I think you will find out everything is OK.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
mr48chev

Quote:
Trucks are made to be driven and the two hardest things on them are letting them sit and just firing them up and letting them idle for a few minutes once a month.

Get it out and run it down the freeway for 20 so miles and back and then check it out. The pipes are probably full of crud from all that starting and idling like Hottrucks said.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Barney1970 CST

Quote:
Thank Hottrucks I sure do feel alot better now. I guess I called myself doing the right thing by not getting it out in the weather, and instead I am causing other problems. I will take her out for a nice drive tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Barney1970 CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
As hottrucks said with all the times you started it over the winter condensation will build up in the exhaust and cause this problem. I also would get this engine up to operating temp and put a good test drive and I think you will find out everything is OK.
Thanks hayhauler71, I will bring her out for a nice long drive tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Barney1970 CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Trucks are made to be driven and the two hardest things on them are letting them sit and just firing them up and letting them idle for a few minutes once a month.

Get it out and run it down the freeway for 20 so miles and back and then check it out. The pipes are probably full of crud from all that starting and idling like Hottrucks said.
Thanks mr48chev, I will take her for a ride tomorrow. Guess I will be taking her out the garage next winter on nice days and driving so this does not happen again.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Barney1970 CST

I understand the build up of carbon, gas, and condensate in the exhaust. Why is there a build up of oil in the exhaust pipes. Gas is made from oil, is it just a oily residue from unburned gas?