The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
fatfords

What would you do?

Well, I finally settled with the insurance company and need to decide what to do with the crunched parts chaser. I bought this truck to use for the occasional trip to Home Depot, to use as a spare set of wheels, to tinker with, and just because I thought it was in good shape at a decent price. I am the 3rd owner and the truck is mostly original with 91K miles. The only things that are not stock are the AutoMeter guages, seat cover, 700R4 tranny, R-134A AC conversion and the ralley wheels.
Here's what I see as my options.
1. Find a good front clip (or parts truck) and get it back on the road. Probably won't be much to look at, as new paint is just not in the future right now.
2. Sell it as a parts truck. There are lots of good parts to use, but chances of finding someone wanting the whole thing may not be too good.
3. Part it out. This is probably my best chance at recovering more money, but the hastle of "stripping and shipping" doesn't really sound like too much fun.

Anyway, you guys have always come through with good suggestions before, so "what would you do?"

Thanks,
Kent
Attached Images

fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
dubie

Personally I would piece her back together and see how many colors you could get one 1 truck Paint is over rated anyways bud

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
StingRay

As much as I hate to see anything get parted that doesn't have to be that truck got whacked good and will need most of a donor truck to save it. I'm guessing the frame, cab and front clip are toast or not worth saving if they can be. If you love the truck find a donor and build one out of two saving everything that's good and desirable from that one. If you decide to part it and the chrome vent windows have real good chrome put me on the list for them please.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Just my opinion, and you know everyone has one... If you are not too enthusiastic about putting it back together, then I say part it out.

Having never taken one apart before, when I parted one out last year I LEARNED MUCH about how it all works, something I did not want to learn with my daily driver. (let the parts truck be the guinea pig)

Also, I was able to KEEP parts of the truck that I needed or expect that I will need with my daily driver. Nothing like having a spare this or spare that, right there ready and waiting.

Finally...there are may things there that folks would want/need and pay you a fair price for. My parts truck was GONE in about 8 weeks, so it was not and eyesore in the driveway for very long.

All tha being said, it is relative to what you want to do. Are you going to find another one to build? Are you in a convenient place for buyers to come and get the parts they want (bed, cab, fenders, engine, whatever...). You have time to rip that sucker apart for whatever reason...weather?

nuff said by me, good luck deciding!
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Jemost 72
Southern Bowties

That was a fine lookin truck and my favorite color combo so I would have to vote-rebuild. I was at Eagle Mtn auto salvage(10000 Jacksboro Hwy) about 2 months ago and they had a front clip, already removed, and 3 or 4 still on the body. Might be some on Elliot Reeder also.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
thisolechevy

DAMN!! what hapened? it amazing that neither of your headlights broke.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
cdowns

seeing that it has the frame damage as well as the damage to the firewall/front pillar i'd just part it out
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #8
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfords
2. Sell it as a parts truck. There are lots of good parts to use, but chances of finding someone wanting the whole thing may not be too good.
3. Part it out. This is probably my best chance at recovering more money, but the hastle of "stripping and shipping" doesn't really sound like too much fun.
It may be silly, but I look at options 2 & 3 kinda like the organ donor box on my driver's license. Too bad the truck was damaged, but the damage is done. But, parts can live on, helping other imperfect trucks get better.

I've got a place to put it, and the parts could help both son's trucks get better...have you thought of a price for option 2?

SSOW...
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Please don't part it out. That truck has soul and deserves to be repaired.

I'll come over and help you all I can. We can find the sheetmetal with a little looking.

I have a top, top, top notch left fender saved for just such a project. It already has moldings on it, so no holes to drill.

I also have a real good hood ready to go.

I think Matt67350 has a long frame. I know he has several short frames if you wanted to go that way.

This is your chance to learn a lot and build something to be real proud of.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #10
krazy_texan

if you want to get rid of it i might be interested
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If the frame is toast, and the front clip is junk, and the cab needs replaced, then rebuilding it would be a misleading term. You'd start with another frame, and then yet another cab, all you'd have is your bed and a few odds and ends.
Part it or use it for spare parts on the replacement.
If I can ask...what did they give you for it (ball park figure)?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
UP GRADE
one set closer

buy a donor and rebuild it it will a hole lot cheper then buying another one and also TX FIGHTER is willing to help you put it back together take the offer and ride once again.
UP GRADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #13
fatfords

I appreciate all the recommendations.
Let me add some detail to the damage description.
I have crawled under the truck several times and do not think there is any frame damage. My front bumper went under the Cayenne-I think that's why the sheet metal looks so bad. The cab moved back and hit the bed putting dents in both sides of the back panel. The engine mounts look to be intact and the firewall and "A" pillar look good (from the outside, anyway). The driver's fender pushed into the door, and I think the top hinge may have broken loose. One of the bolts was already broken.
The rear bumper and mounting brackets took the brunt of the rear impact. The tailgate is bowed along the bottom, but it was rusting down there anyway.
TxFirefighter-I appreciate the offer-and Krazy T-I will bring some pics to the meet this weekend and maybe we can have "a meeting of the minds" and ya'll can help me figure out what to do.
SSOW-I will let you know if I decide to try to sell it in one lot.
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions/comments.

Last edited by fatfords; 08-19-2004 at 03:25 PM.
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
krazy_texan

if you decide to rebuild it you could buy a donor truck and we could have another board meet at your house to rebuild it, i think that would be really cool to work along some of the guys on this board
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #15
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

Man, that really SUCKS. I LOVE that color combo and to see the before and afters hurts my guts! I think ya oughta fix it. What the hell. You'd be doing it a favor and that was indeed a sweet LB.
The fact that guyz offer to help attests to the character of most of the gents on this board. Kinda like an old fashioned Barn Raising in the good old days of neighbors helping each other instead of avoiding eye contact.... If I lived closer, I'd load up the tools and start in on one end. GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES for a speedy recovery! (Glad you're OK too. You ARE OK aren't you?) H.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
seeing that it has the frame damage as well as the damage to the firewall/front pillar i'd just part it out
I agree.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote