The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
wolffcub

Finaly on the road!

Got my in transit sticker on Monday so i have been able to take her out for some servicing drives prior to my inspection tomorrow.

Been it bits for the last 18 years or so but finally at a state it can be driven safely and properly. Cosmetic its far from done but the essentials are cleaned up in the cab as to not cut you or dirty you up.

put about 50 miles on it and found a few minor things. The brake disks were getting super hot from just driving so i removed the 2lb residue valves I installed. The master cylinder is just 3 inches above the calipers and I was told even if running it that low I should use them. Turns out I don't need them. The drag issue is now gone with them removed.

Wishing I put a bit more thought into the transmission selection but I did get free from a friend back in high school so I used it in the build. I max out at about 50mph doing about 3500rpm according to my cheap little rpm gauge. Going to look into a T-5 trans install from a S10 next year.

wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
wolffcub

Re: Finaly on the road!

Using dual Delta 50's exhaust from the Fenton headers. Sure fills the cab with some loud noises. Not too happy with the sound in the cab due to how it resonates but it sounds awesome outside. After installing all the sound deadening it might help the cab from becoming a huge sub box from the mufflers.

Installed a new seat cover all new seals and weatherstripping. New front and rear window and reused the side ones. New door latches , strikes, and linkages ware also used. 3 point seat belts are nice to have and were super easy to install. Still need to fill the unused holes in the firewall and install the insulation pad.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
69chevytrucker

so very nice i hope to do a truck like that soon i live in ab too been looking for one for awhile i got a 69 about 90% done so i hope i find one like yours in nice shape (hint lol if you wanna sell) ... your truck looks really sharp
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

Nice job. It IS a great feeling when it comes together.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
wolffcub

Still need to make a hood prop rod as I have had enough with trying to fight with the spring and hinge alignment. Every time i install the springs the hood goes so far out of whack do to the spring tension it never fits properly. This is my current hood prop solution.

I have a 55 235 in it that was fully rebuilt. It has Fenton headers, Dual carb Edelbrock intake, 2 barrel carbs with auto choke, Solid state pickups, modern twist on oil filter system, chrome bits and a few other minor mods. The intake uses the better wet method for its heat. The power brakes are fed from the old intake port for the old vacuum system and works perfect.

Installed power steering and made my own pump and alternator bracket system. Its so easy to adjust the belt tensions and looks awesome hiding the pump under the alt. Soon a chrome alt will be installed.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
69chevytrucker

goto to david t's where you live get a t-5 out of a camaro 95 is the last year with the t-5 world class trans .. everytime im up that way i always stop in there he has some good stuff all camaro and birds but thats where all the good power plants come from
Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
wolffcub

This was my baby in 95 when i bought it for $600 fully running. Was a Canadian built 3/4t 1424 model.

This was it that following summer LOL

Bought a 49 1/2t chassis from a farmer for $20 and he even delivered it he was so happy to get rid of it.

This was the engine just after being rebuilt. It sat like this for about 15 years.

About 3 years ago I went balls out to try to get the ting up and going because I was tired of just letting it sit. As you can see here i did some shopping and started to go to work.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
69chevytrucker

wow i hope i find a deal like that
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
wolffcub

After the shopping spree headers and custom exhaust were installed.

Then the wiring kit from American Auto Wire

Then it was time to sort out the carbs! The old style was giving me so much grief i said goodbye to them and called Tom L for new ones.

Also installed a rear tank to remove that sloshing bomb from behind the seat.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Cool truck!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
NEWFISHER

Great work!
It looks like you used to have the exhaust exiting the rear, but have cut it short. Try moving the mufflers back as far as you can if you are going to run the dumps. This will help "some" in the cab.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
wolffcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Great work!
It looks like you used to have the exhaust exiting the rear, but have cut it short. Try moving the mufflers back as far as you can if you are going to run the dumps. This will help "some" in the cab.
The exhaust did originally go over the rear end and under the tank out the back. I changed out the rear and dropped the truck since so the over under layout will not work right now. I temporally installed downward tips until i have something made with a slight s curve in it so i can run under the axle and out the back.

Good point about moving the mufflers back. I will do that.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
nvrdone

Fantastic build. My exhaust was the same setup. Loud as .... I ran the pipes up over the rear axle and out under the fenders. Much more enjoyable in the cab and still sounds fantastic inside.
Now go drive the wheels off of it and enjoy the looks and waves.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
wolffcub

Things are going ok with the truck but I am unimpressed with the performance. Maybe I expected too much from the inline or possibly i cant tune worth ****. It has no get up and go, even around its 2000rpm area it just farts along with little pull.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
Highsider

I dig the American mags.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Gippetto

I hope mine comes out that nice. Great work. Love the wheels.

I also will run a 55 235 with Langdon's NOS Webers which makes me nervous where you say it don't go. Did Tom advise a set up procedure? Does the throttle open fully (sounds stuped, but...)

Whose tank did you use and where did you put the filler cap.
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
wolffcub

Trying to get the tuning info from tom last year was like trying to get blood from a rock. Granted he said they should require nothing to be done i think its safe to say adjustments are required depending on exact setups and globe location factors. Been trying to get in contact with him again to try to sort them out.

Got some power back into the ride the other day. Found out that i had the vacuum advance accidentally plugged into the EGR port on the carb. I was not getting the proper vacuum signal. With it swapped over it runs much smoother and has more pull. Better but still not really impressed.

Im having such a huge issue with fuel smell. I have absolutely no leaks from any components or sweating gaskets anywhere. I think it has to do with the holes that tom punches in the top of the carb bowl to let it equalize since the purge solenoid is plugged of. Every light I stop at I want to vomit due to the smell you get in the cab and when you park it in the garage the house smells like gas.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Gippetto

Tom used to be accessible. He actually answered my emails and I spoke to him a couple of times on the phone. That was a little over a year ago. I suspect he is slowing down a bit. He must be getting up in years.

I will look for vent holes on my setup. I am still a ways from running but you've got my attention now. There must be a sintered material or membrane that will keep the vapors down while still allowing pressure equalization. I'll look around.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
Gippetto

Whose gas tank did you use? Is that a Pro's Choice bed?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
wolffcub

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-53-.../#.VACVwGPLZOw

This is the one I got. The filler cap will be flush with the truck bed once I install it.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
Gippetto

A closer look at my carbs and I don't see anything that looks like venting that was added. There is the typical center overflow tube that would spill right back down the throats. Not sure we have the same carbs. I did notice that the action of the throttle requires an, over center, final 1/4" of travel that would be difficult with the original linkage. Full throttle might require backing off the return springs or something more drastic.
Right now I am connecting my steering to the M2 rack. The engine is on a pallet. Bigger fish to fry right now.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
wolffcub

The ones tom sold me are called the 32dft. I was told these were only only ones he had that worked with the 235.

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/sto...512&id=1222026

They should have holes in the red areas.