The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Help, I think I messed up

Greetings everyone,

I've been gone for a long while, but am back on the truck build again. In the process of rewiring the truck I went cutting stuff I probably needed.

Couple a being forgetful with working all the time I rarely have time to do anything else but get ready for the next work day.

Long winded way of saying, I need some help from the community to get this girl back on the road.

As always any help is greatly and tremendously appreciated, thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
cfan10

Cool Re: Help, I think I messed up

#1 #2

What is the for and where is it supposed to be connected?
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 08-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
cfan10

I know it's supposed to connect to the steering column pigtail but the new wiring harness doesn't have the other end of the wires on supplied connector. What am I going to be missing out on by not having this connected?
Old 08-23-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
cfan10

#4 #5

What is this and where is it supposed to be connected?
Old 08-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #5
cfan10

Where does this connect?
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Re: Help, I think I messed up

Not sure of the pic numbers but from the first batch, the thing circled in green looks to be the headlight dimmer switch. The purple circled rubber grommet pair of wires might be for the cab light.

In the 2nd pair, the circled thing is the Neutral Safety Switch(NSS). The loose wires in the gloved hand look to be removed from a plastic plug housing. No clue on function.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
Factory Guy

Personally that old of wiring and who knows after that period of time if its run to the correct areas?? I personally would order a new loom from American auto wire and be done. Then you know the connectors are good the wires are new and etc. It may not be the most cost effective option but at least it might SAVE you a bunch of headaches!

I know I did this option on my Chevelle for BOTH the engine compartment AND the DASH wiring. I haven't regretted it one moment.

Here's a link to the dash wiring...

https://americanautowire.com/collect...-harness-37509

Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 08-31-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:07 PM   #8
MiniD

The first picture: This is the feedthrough for your door open switch. It should connect to your dome light harness.

Third Picture: Not covering the whole connector is not an issue. You'll see there are no wires outside of the connector space. This is the turn signal switch harness. The other circled connector/harness from the column is the wiper switch harness. For some reason, your harness has been extended.

The fourth picture: This is your hi-beam switch. If your headlights are not working, this is most likely the culprit.

The fifth picture: it's just a guess, but those look to be radio wires.

The second set first picture: This is your neutral safety switch. Your ignition wire runs through this and only allows your vehicle to be started in park or neutral.

I have to agree with Factory Guy on this. Looking at the state of your wiring, you really should go with a new harness. I also suggest (and have used) the American Autowire harness as a replacement for everything under the dash, engine compartment, front light harness and rear light harness.