The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
CC69Rat

Converting a Non-AC cab to AC

I bought an AC dash from Randy to convert my 68. What's the easiest way to get the original one out and put in the AC dash? I really dont want to cut around the lower windshield area unless I have to, .. are those just spot welds in that area or would I need a plasma cutter ? I've just never done it.

I have heard people will just cut it on the dashes underneath where the dash pad goes and weld it in there, re-using the old tabs to weld it back in. What would you guys suggest? Thanks.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Converting a Non-AC cab to AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post

I have heard people will just cut it on the dashes underneath where the dash pad goes and weld it in there, re-using the old tabs to weld it back in. What would you guys suggest? Thanks.
Like you said in the second paragraph is what I believe is going to be the best way to go if you really want to replace the dash. I have seen someone try to remove the spot welds and it was a mess. Windshield had to be removed and wound up having to replace it and the rubber (accidently broke it).

Personally, if I install a/c in my non a/c 68 GMC I'm going with the under dash a/c vents rather than cut the dash. Also, I have seen some where guys cut their own openings with supplied instructions by manufacturers of aftermarket a/c units. That would be a better option than cutting out the dash.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

I would think it would be easier to cut the dash vent openings into the existing dash, unless there is other damage to your dash. Just an FYI, youll need to modify the firewall as well if you are going to install factory ac. Search the forum as i have seen it covered a few times.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 01-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Chad, if you cut your dash under the dash pad and do the same to the Ac dash your getting from me and weld it back in, thats the easiest way, and as Steve said you'll have to get a section of firewall. If you look at my thread on parts board about parting a cab, there is a guy who had me cut the firewall section out for him, thats the piece you'll need
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
CC69Rat

I had just planned on doing a Vintage air under dash kit and use the factory vents. Not going to work ?

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
I had just planned on doing a Vintage air under dash kit and use the factory vents. Not going to work ?
That should work. Its what i have planned on my step side. Im just going to cut the dash thats in it now though. You only have to do the firewall surgery if you are going to install factory ac in a non factory ac cab.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
CC69Rat

Yeah I have a BB in mine and didn't really want to use the factory firewall box anyway .. whew I can handle the dash part I just dont want to get into cutting the firewall and stuff. It's a super clean cab (bare) and I guess I could cut the bottom of the windshield chanel I just thought Id go as far as under the dash pad, weld it in there and grind the welds where they look ok (not worry about ti a whole lot) and let the dash pad take care of the rest.

Thanks for your help fellas. Randy, if you want to cut the dash off leaving the top edge of those tabs under the dash pad that will be cool with me too. It might make it easier and cheaper for you to ship. I wont be using the top section of the dash anyway just leave me enough to get it welded back in under the pad.

If you have shipped it already that's cool too.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Yeah I have a BB in mine and didn't really want to use the factory firewall box anyway .. whew I can handle the dash part I just dont want to get into cutting the firewall and stuff. It's a super clean cab (bare) and I guess I could cut the bottom of the windshield chanel I just thought Id go as far as under the dash pad, weld it in there and grind the welds where they look ok (not worry about ti a whole lot) and let the dash pad take care of the rest.

Thanks for your help fellas. Randy, if you want to cut the dash off leaving the top edge of those tabs under the dash pad that will be cool with me too. It might make it easier and cheaper for you to ship. I wont be using the top section of the dash anyway just leave me enough to get it welded back in under the pad.

If you have shipped it already that's cool too.
It's really not that bad to drill out the spotwelds and change the whole dash. Just use a flat angled drill (smallest dia. you can get away with) at the pinch where the windshield rubber sits. I have done it and it worked great on my 67.
Sounds like you have it figured out already though. I never thought about cutting down that seam where the dashpad mounts.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
jmader

Not trying to hijack the thread but one other thing I can't seem to find addressed in other threads is what is the best technique to cut the holes out of an existing dash? It looks like a hole saw would do the trick for the outers but the middle one has me a little nervous.
1967 GMC K15 Project
Build thread-
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post6502772
1968 Chevy Anniversary K10
1991 K5 4" Lift 35's (the wife's toy)
jmader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
motorcritter

I saw on a thread about A/C install, and they used body panel adhesive to install the replacement A/C dash- that had been removed by drilling out the spot welds. Saves a lot of headache for the job, less chance heat damage, access problems, etc.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmader View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but one other thing I can't seem to find addressed in other threads is what is the best technique to cut the holes out of an existing dash? It looks like a hole saw would do the trick for the outers but the middle one has me a little nervous.
I always take my template and drill holes in the corners then use a body saw to cut them out.. It's like a jig saw but a air tool for cutting sheet metal..

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
olrosa

What screamingchevy said
olrosa is offline   Reply With Quote