The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Mgicm

new floors - where?

So I have cut out all the floors and half the toeboard on my 51 AD. Now I have the two replacement floorboard pieces (which have a floor part and part toeboard part where it angles up) and trying to figure out where exactly they are to fit. Sounds dumb but without anything to reference...where should these halves fit? I am looking at pics of other repairs and it appears that the end of the replacement panel ends about halfway into the rocker/door opening.

Anyone have some tips or pictures? I will keep looking through other threads but figured some people have faced this and could add their input.

thank you!
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
sleepindawg

Re: new floors - where?

If those panels are for "stock" repair, they should be long enough to seam real close to the seat riser which would put you about half way through the door opening I believe. The panel should have a lip on it that actually folds down over the rocker and gets spot welded or plug welded. The toe panel areas "should" line up to each other (left and right) in the center and then use the tranny cover to help align them.

There is always a fair amount fudging when it comes to fitment on these panels. Just take things nice and slow and never weld them until you are satisfied with the fitment.

I do have picture somewhere, I'll try and locate them...
Tim
sleepindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
FiftyTwo

Re: new floors - where?

Doing the floors on my son's truck as we speak, so maybe I can help you.

As mentioned, you need to do a little tweaking here and there to get everything all lined up. Before I did the floors, I replaced on both sides of the truck, the inner cab corners, rocker panels, hinge pockets, door jams and front cab supports, so installing the new floors wasn't that bad.

Before I cut any of the firewall out, I put the new floor panel in place, lining up the holes and stiffener channels with those on the original toe board. I also drilled out the cab mounting hole and placed a bolt down into the cab support to aid in positioning of the floor. I used welding clamps to hold it all in position and secured it with small self tapping sheet metal screws.

Once I was happy with the fit up, I marked where I need to cut, removed the new floor panel and cut out the old toe board. I re-clamp everything back into place and tack welded it. After double checking everything, I welded each side up. Note the LH side is only tacked in the picture.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by FiftyTwo; 01-14-2014 at 06:43 PM.
FiftyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote