The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
djbnola

Fuel Tank Selection

Looking for direction in selecting the right fuel tank for '48 3600 pickup. Would like to mount tank in original location under bed w/original filler neck location in front of bed passenger side. OEM replacement is no longer available except for 1/2 ton under bed (not sure of fit) and inside cab w/filler neck relocation.
I would like to find a tank that will serve the original 6 cyl 217 mechanical FP now and also work later when I do an LS package upgrade with possible EFP or EFI.
Question 1: if I am able to find a tank that will fit in location, will an updated tank work with the original FP? (Original pickup port on front bottom of tank)
Question 2: if I use an original type tank, can it be reused safely when I do the LS upgrade? (Baffles, pressure, return line, vent, etc)
Question 3: Are there any possible issues that may be encountered with finding a sending unit that will be available and/or comparable between an updated tank and the OEM 6v wiring? Future problems with LS upgrade?
I appreciate any advice you can offer or direction to another thread.
djbnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Fuel Tank Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbnola View Post
Looking for direction in selecting the right fuel tank for '48 3600 pickup. Would like to mount tank in original location under bed w/original filler neck location in front of bed passenger side. OEM replacement is no longer available except for 1/2 ton under bed (not sure of fit) and inside cab w/filler neck relocation.
I would like to find a tank that will serve the original 6 cyl 217 mechanical FP now and also work later when I do an LS package upgrade with possible EFP or EFI.
Question 1: if I am able to find a tank that will fit in location, will an updated tank work with the original FP? (Original pickup port on front bottom of tank)
Question 2: if I use an original type tank, can it be reused safely when I do the LS upgrade? (Baffles, pressure, return line, vent, etc)
Question 3: Are there any possible issues that may be encountered with finding a sending unit that will be available and/or comparable between an updated tank and the OEM 6v wiring? Future problems with LS upgrade?
I appreciate any advice you can offer or direction to another thread.
The problem is that the tank for 1/2 ton would fit but there is a interference issue with the drive shaft on a 3/4 ton that is not an issue on the 1/2 ton because 1/2 ton is a closed shaft. If you convert to an LSx and have a stock under bed tank then you have that interference issue. You may want to call Jim Carter and ask them, they sell stock under bed tanks for that year. 800-336-1913

You would have to adapt the stock tank for EFI with a pump that has a fuel tray on it and make the tank so it can mount that EFI pump.
The sending unit should be a 30 ohm and voltage is not a factor in it operation. The gauge is the 6v device in the circuit not the sender.

If you convert to 12v then you just need a voltage reducer on the gauge

You can use a rear under bed tank from a Camaro that has the EFI tray in it. It can be used with a stock pickup until your ready for LSx.
The below picture is a rear under bed Camaro tank setup for rear fill.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
djbnola

Re: Fuel Tank Selection

Thank you for the quick reply Dave,
That answers a lot of my questions about the tank that I saw on the Jim Carter website. I am sort of new to all this, but am learning. I have already successfully upgraded to original rear end with a '72 C20 4:11 LSD and learned a lot in the process. Currently partially retrofitting an ebrake system that was missing from truck. I want to get this fuel tank project done next with future planning at the same time.
I found a thread on the forum this morning "coach's 49 3600" that has some great ideas and information also.
I am attempting on making this truck a daily driver. Once I get it on the road, I plan on updating one system at a time and gaining some knowledge along the way.
I wanted to keep the original filler location 47 & 48 3600 only, but may have to weld up that hole and go with the rear mount.
I appreciate all the help and may try to put a tread together with some pics to share how it turns out in the near future.
djbnola is offline   Reply With Quote