The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
phraza

Dynamat Dynaliner - Thickness install question

Hey all,

Tried searching for a while and can't find an exact answer. Just been a bit of advice from someone that has done the below before.

Basically I've stripped the cab, painted the floor with rust paint and added 1 layer of Dynamat Xtreme (see photo below).

I've already bought an ACC carpet set with the jute backing already on it.

I want to add a layer of Dynamat Dynaliner on top of the current Dynamat Xtreme but am unsure of what thickness to do it (Dynaliner comes in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 thicknesses).

Has anyone used Dynaliner under a carpet set with the jute backing? I don't want to put too thick Dynaliner down that it affects the carpet and how it sits.

I've taken out the original cardboard firewall padding too (was pretty worn down).

Any advice is muchly appreciated!
Attached Images

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
phraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
par4tom

Re: Dynamat Dynaliner - Thickness install question

I wouldn't worry too much about thickness...but you need to understand that what Dynamat essentially does is dampen the vibration of the panels which in turn reduces road noise. I'll concede is does help a little bit with noise due to its density.

The jute mat will go a long way to reducing noise...maybe more so than the Dynamat. Definately do that.

But be advised, you are still going to get a lot of road noise, engine noise and wind noise while driving...I guess that is part of the beauty of these trucks...

FYI - I put down two layers of FatMatt, then jute mat that went all of the way up the firewall...truck is still noisy but better than before! Not a lot but it is better...

Nice work there on your truck! Looks really good! Good luck as you wrap it up...

Tom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
phraza

Thanks Tom, appreciate your reply!

I'm leaning towards the thinner dynaliner just for that extra bit of insulation, and the jute on the back of the carpet is pretty chunky so should be sweet. I do love the sound of the exhaust (I have a heavy foot, but don't we all?).

I'm trying to cut down on the cab heat too which this should help with! (Gets up to at least 90 degrees in summer here)

Will post more pictures in my build thread of the whole process

Cheers!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
hotrodder

Lizard Skin product works really good. They have a sound deadener and also a heat shield. The products are sprayed on so you can get into seams and areas where it is hard to cover with a mat type product. Also great for the back of the cab behind the gas tank. I have used it on several builds and it worked out great. Just a thought.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
phraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
Lizard Skin product works really good. They have a sound deadener and also a heat shield. The products are sprayed on so you can get into seams and areas where it is hard to cover with a mat type product. Also great for the back of the cab behind the gas tank. I have used it on several builds and it worked out great. Just a thought.
Sweet, thanks mate. I've already got 1 layer of Dynamat down and ordered some Dynaliner. But there are places where Lizard Skin would come in handy (the spray idea sounds pretty good!).

Cheers!

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here