The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
data89

Question Steering wheel size

My 69 steering wheel is 17 inches, original. If I put a smaller, say 15 inch, will that require more turns of the wheel? (Makes sense, but, I've seen information to the contrary). I imagine I would have to put a newer column in. I have no idea, but is there a 3 on the tree tilt wheel available with a smaller steering wheel that would fit?
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Steering wheel size

Yes, it will require more turns of the wheel with a smaller wheel. It's the same reason track runners want to take the inside lane as quick as possible, and those that start the race at the outer lane get to start further up.

That being said, if you want a smaller wheel, you don't need a new column.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
slow-1

Do you mean will it be harder to turn or will you have to turn it more revolutions to turn all the way left or right?

Yes to harder...less leverage, no to more revolutions...even without a steering wheel on it, the shaft turns the same number of revolutions as with the wheel on...but it is really hard to turn the shaft with no wheel on it.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I think you need to rethink this. Look at it this way. If you draw a line on the steering shaft (the one under the horn button) and you can turn that shaft 3 1/2 turns, lock to lock, the steering wheel is also going to turn 3 1/2 turns lock to lock no matter how big the diameter is.

Using a smaller diameter steering wheel will only increase the effort it takes to turn it. Going from 17 inch to 15 inch will hardly be noticeable, especially if you have power steering.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
slow-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I think you need to rethink this. Look at it this way. If you draw a line on the steering shaft (the one under the horn button) and you can turn that shaft 3 1/2 turns, lock to lock, the steering wheel is also going to turn 3 1/2 turns lock to lock no matter how big the diameter is.

Using a smaller diameter steering wheel will only increase the effort it takes to turn it. Going from 17 inch to 15 inch will hardly be noticeable, especially if you have power steering.
You explained that better than I did.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

No such animal as 3 on the tree tilt column
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post

Yeah, good point. So, in my example, the outside runner has to run his ass off to keep up with the inside lane runners (if he were to stay in that lane)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Mister-B; 09-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
qdevuldog

Check out brotherstrucks.com...they have a tilt 3 on the tree plus they have a sale going on right now
Posted via Mobile Device
qdevuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
White70C20

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Ok.... Did a little research on this, and I believe the reason it is so confusing, is that your HANDS are traveling a different circular distance based on the circumference of the steering wheel, while the inner diameter of the steering wheel closest to the steering column doesn't change. So, with a large diameter steering wheel, your hands will travel further distance to turn the tires the same distance as a smaller diameter wheel, while both wheels will travel the same distance at the center by the column.

Now, leverage is a whole other ball of wax, which is why a larger diameter steering wheel would likely take less muscle to turn the tires on a non power steering vehicle
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

No. A full turn is a full turn, wheel size has no relevance
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
jocko

correct. same number of "revolutions" lock to lock regardless of wheel diameter (and the revs are what matters). The hands, if on the rim, will actually cover a shorter distance on this same number of revolutions with a smaller diameter wheel (Mr. B's point), but it's not what is meant by "number of turns". If no power steering, going to a 15" wheel would make not having power steering suck even more. I'd keep that cool old stock wheel and enjoy the coolness as is.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
franken

This is too funny!
If you put a watch next to a wall clock (both old time dial types) to they tell different times?
I lived in Watertown for a year as a kid...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
data89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
No such animal as 3 on the tree tilt column
Posted via Mobile Device
So any tilt would be for an automatic? And then, no advantage to changing from the current setup.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
data89

Quote:
Originally Posted by White70C20 View Post
Is your original steering wheel decent? If you decide to go with a smaller one I'll buy your original one.
One crack on the housing and one on the wheel. If I keep it I'll try to repair that, I've had good luck with epoxy on a "47 bakelite wheel in the past.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
data89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
correct. same number of "revolutions" lock to lock regardless of wheel diameter (and the revs are what matters). The hands, if on the rim, will actually cover a shorter distance on this same number of revolutions with a smaller diameter wheel (Mr. B's point), but it's not what is meant by "number of turns". If no power steering, going to a 15" wheel would make not having power steering suck even more. I'd keep that cool old stock wheel and enjoy the coolness as is.
I like the big wheel, it's just slightly difficult to slide in under it to get seated. Then when I stand on the brake pedal to slow the truck down, I'm wedged against the steering wheel.LOL. I've been undecided whether to install ps or pb this year. Do you know will the ps from a 78 Silverado fit in my 69? Or the pb booster? I have a 78 1-ton (mint original cab, 40K on a 454) and a 65 1-ton (no ps).
Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by data89 View Post
I like the big wheel, it's just slightly difficult to slide in under it to get seated. Then when I stand on the brake pedal to slow the truck down, I'm wedged against the steering wheel.LOL. I've been undecided whether to install ps or pb this year. Do you know will the ps from a 78 Silverado fit in my 69? Or the pb booster? I have a 78 1-ton (mint original cab, 40K on a 454) and a 65 1-ton (no ps).
Are you running a non stock seat? Seems awfully tight in there.

I'm not sure if that booster will work or not. You'll need the proper push rod that goes from the booster to the brake pedal, as well as the proper mounting bracket to mount the booster to the firewall

I thinking stopping is more important than cushy steering at slow speeds. Don't get me wrong. They're both important, but I'd get the brakes right first with a booster. I added power brakes to mine recently, and it is amazing. My butt doesn't pucker when I hit a red light anymore
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

A smaller diameter steering wheel uses less motion for the same effect. You will gain "quicker" steering with a smaller steering wheel,but you lose leverage. With p/s this will not be noticeable. A slightly smaller wheel will barely make a difference in effort. If you have play in your steering,a smaller steering wheel will give the effect of less wander due to less motion required to correct steering.

When we say 3spd we are referring to a three speed manual transmission. Same with 4spd. This comes from when these trucks were made overdrive was not in the picture. Overdrive is tacked on to the final drive gear,so technically speaking,a 700r4 (for instance) is a 3pd + overdrive. Traditionally,with automatic transmissions,we refer to them by name...Powerglide,TH350,TH400,700r4,4L80E,etc. I've never heard of a Powerglide identified as a 2spd transmission

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by data89 View Post
I am not sure about the ps, but as long as you have the bracketry for the eng you're going to put it on, it should be able to be adapted. As for the specific booster, I recommend talking to CaptainFab on this board, he sells brackets that will allow you to convert to pb easily. I THINK it would work, but he can confirm.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
data89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Are you running a non stock seat? Seems awfully tight in there.

I'm not sure if that booster will work or not. You'll need the proper push rod that goes from the booster to the brake pedal, as well as the proper mounting bracket to mount the booster to the firewall

I thinking stopping is more important than cushy steering at slow speeds. Don't get me wrong. They're both important, but I'd get the brakes right first with a booster. I added power brakes to mine recently, and it is amazing. My butt doesn't pucker when I hit a red light anymore
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that's the problem, not stock seats. They are buckets and look very close to the stock buckets though. I'm 6'2" and had to shim the seats to get a good view, which put me slightly closer to the wheel. I was looking at the top of the steering wheel before. So a smaller wheel would help.
It's funny, because in my "53 the stock seat was too high and I was always ducking down to see through the windshield.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
data89

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A smaller diameter steering wheel uses less motion for the same effect. You will gain "quicker" steering with a smaller steering wheel,but you lose leverage. With p/s this will not be noticeable. A slightly smaller wheel will barely make a difference in effort. If you have play in your steering,a smaller steering wheel will give the effect of less wander due to less motion required to correct steering.

When we say 3spd we are referring to a three speed manual transmission. Same with 4spd. This comes from when these trucks were made overdrive was not in the picture. Overdrive is tacked on to the final drive gear,so technically speaking,a 700r4 (for instance) is a 3pd + overdrive. Traditionally,with automatic transmissions,we refer to them by name...Powerglide,TH350,TH400,700r4,4L80E,etc. I've never heard of a Powerglide identified as a 2spd transmission
Excellent info. Now I remember, "a smaller wheel gives quicker steering", but I would have to put PS on it.